What's new

OCtober 2021

OCtober 19

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: Razorock Blue Barbershop

I used the FOCS quite a bit during SLANTember (my other Slant is the Razorock German Slant with a solid bar), and so gave it a bit of a vacation - until now. Blade "feel" is comparable to my Gillette NEW long comb. I skipped some black gunk on the Shark which I removed with my fingernail. This gunk might explain the "chattering" during my previous shave. The soap had a nice mild scent. Overall: DFS.

2021-10-19 21.21.21.jpg

ABC Pocket Edition
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (14)
Weirdy Beardy shave cream, brushless

I set out in OCtober determined to improve my shaves with the Old Types as they weren't my favorite--and therefore less used--razors. That goal has been met, I believe. So I'm going to bin the 7 O'clock Super Platinum at fourteen shaves and seek out another blade and razor to close out the month.

GEM 1912 / GEM PTFE (?) / ProRaso Green Pre & soap / AV Musk AS -- took a break from the Auto Strops and Gillettes and returned to SEs one of my favorite razor designs. I still think that had I started wetshaving with only SE razors, I probably wouldn't have the number of DEs that I have because they just work so well.
Art Deco GEM.jpeg

ABF5131D-B10D-4317-8CFC-7EEDCE35DA49.jpeg
OCtober 20
3rd day in a row with the SLOC. Very comfortable razor for WTG and XTG shaves but my ATG pass never goes as smoothly as I would like. Oh well, I’ll keep working on technique for the rest of the week. Leviathan in omnibus has impressed me, and it’s been fun to use this month.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-Series (2)
Ω10048 boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: refined shea butter

Oct 20th: OC Shave #15 of 15 for OCtober

Gillette New SC / Gillette Nacet (2nd)
Stirling Electric Sheep / Omega 49
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Halston Z14 Aftershave
Nivea Post-Shave
Halston Z14 Cologne

Results: Really nice BBS shave, with a bit of sting form the aftershave, but otherwise, no nicks, cuts, or weepers.

WTG Wednesday...

Gillette NEW LC
Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Fine Platinum
SOC Boar

Decided to skip the usual XTG and ATG and just go with three WTG passes this morning. I'm not disappointed with the results and may make this a regular thing to give my skin a day to recover while still looking presentable. Not even one weeper today. I finished up with a rinse with cool tap water and a splash of Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum (I have a lot of it so it was a really generous splash) and was met with very little feedback. A nice relaxing way to start the day. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Gillette New Type SC
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (3)
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition (Splash)
013_20.jpg

The Old Type Single Ring pulled out ahead of the New Short Comb I'm using this week. It did so for one reason only. It's smoother! Still, I had a wonderful shave today with the New SC. It's a good razor.

This morning, I had shave #34 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good lather that was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some warm tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my second time using the VDH balm. Again, I thought the balm was "heavier"/greasier than the skin than other aftershave balms I've used in the past. I like won't buy another bottle of this if I run out. That said, it'll probably end up in my travel kit after a few more uses.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100.

B3DBF854-91DD-41F4-8DFE-F7E2C87C2423.jpeg

Razor: Gillette 1938 Senator
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20211019_090703.jpg

IMG_20211017_070639.jpg

SOC-OCtober 20th

Old Spice uber lather (Shulton soap, India Cream, Glycerin)
SOC Cherry Wood Boar
CC Copper Bowl
Gillette New Short Comb
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (21) blade 2
Shulton Old Spice After Shave and Cologne
P&B Night Witch Post Shave Lotion (smells like Old Spice) + Hyaluronic Acid

DFS+ 9.8/10

I let my face heal for five days. Everything was healed but a bump on my chin. I was worried about shaving it off, but, no cuts today and very little alum feedback. I was torn between using the Short Comb, and, taking part in Wolfman Wednesday. I decided to stick to my guns and shave with the New. Good shave. First pass mowing down five days growth could have been more comfortable, but, three passes and I achieved a very fine DFS+. My neck is really smooth. The unobtainium blade two is still kicking with no end in sight. Very satisfying shave.

Top Bottom