What's new

OCtober 2020

OCtober 28:

3078D406-7193-43EC-99A1-9E389CD4B8B0.jpeg

Meh - not the greatest shave. Coniferous scent was a bit mild and blah today .... usually I love it. The New SC is always a pleasure to use and the PAA 400 with an Elite Razors finest badger knot is a delight. 7O’clock Green was a big disappointment.

But, happily, my face grows hair really fast. Tomorrow will be another shave.

Have a good one, gents.

Razor: Fatip Retro
Blade: Nacet (2)
Soap: Tabac puck
Brush: RR boar brush (long handle, long bristles)

Good shave, a few weepers, and one blemish that I took off on the chin that I knew was going to be a problem. I always break out this time of the year due to the change in temperatures. NBD. :)

OCtober 28 - 1936 Gillette Aristocrat

A late entry into the lineup. A few months ago I was speaking to a fellow B&B’er about buying their 1936 Aristocrat, but the sale never came to fruition. Inspired by OCtober, I reached out again and this time the sale came through. Received this rhodium re-plated 1936 American Aristocrat yesterday, and after sterilizing it yesterday, it came out to play today. Used a safe combo of a Nacet and MWF. Got a very smooth shave that felt like a comfortable 2 pass (WTG, XTG). When I put on the alum, I got way more string than expected, so maybe I was cutting closer than I realized. Either way a cool new addition to the team.

Prep: Hot Shower
OC: Gillette Aristocrat (1936 USA)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson Commodore x1 SiLVERTiP
After: alum and Trumper Lime Skinfood
DBAA4CA5-BF5F-45ED-87FF-7C5764D217A7.jpeg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

PSX_20201027_075334.jpg

75B78528-8088-432C-88BA-255938CA51A5.jpeg

Pre: -
Razor: Fasan Doppelschräg
Blade: GSB 1st use
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Soap: Tabac puck
Result: DFS+

My fear of the Fasan was totally unfounded. With a light hand (and steep angle) this is smooth and efficient razor. The handle is usable but I will try next time a Gillette Tech Fat Handle for additional weight. The GSB is also wonderful smooth, very much like my standard Perma Sharps. The Midget has a bit of scritch but is totally usable and holds easily enough lather for three passes. All in all I’m a happy Camper.

OCtober 26
Razor:
Gillette New Improved
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Omega boar (the little green one)
Soap: Proraso (the green one)

I'd definitely replace this razor if something happened to it.

OCtober 27
Razor:
Gillette New Improved
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Omega boar (the big red one)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

I think I left too much water in the brush -- I've definitely had been lather with MWF.

2020-10-26 16.24.07-2.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday October 28, 2020
Razor: Bumpy MMOC
Blade: Personna Stainless PTFE (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Proraso Green tub

IMG_0440[1].JPG

If I hadn't gotten the brush out yesterday and put it on the counter I would have used the Wilkinson Sword boar. Know thyself! For a first use boar it was pretty good. I gave it a nice soak in warm water while getting things ready, and it was good to go when I was.

I've put on a bit of a push to use up this tub of Proraso. It's not my favourite but I've certainly used soaps I like less. It's solid and dependable, I'll say that, so any change to brush or bowl is going to show up pretty quickly. Had to load a wee bit more soap to get a good lather this morning, but I expected that. This weekend I'll crank up the Old Hippie Shave Soap Factory and make another batch of OH Puck! that will last me until sometime in early spring, likely. If not, well, makin' soap is easier than makin' chili so I'll just make another batch. I have enough red cedar scent to do a couple more batches, after which I may change to something like grapefruit just for thrills.

Every time I use the MMOC I am reminded that although the ergonomics are old school the performance is cutting-edge, if you'll pardon the pun. Or even if you won't. :badger: Second shave on the blade, still quite sharp but it left a lotta smooth behind. Next day's shave will be the last for OCtober and I don't think I could have planned it better. Number 3 is my favourite shave on a Gem blade: sharpness muted but smoothness cranked up to 11.

Too bad my El Fantasma won't be here by Friday, but it's sitting in LA sipping a latte between planes at the moment.

O.H.

OCtober 28 - Karve meets a NEW opponent / GSB (4)

The Karve OC-C was matched against my Probak today, with the GSB twins on shave 4.
Prep: shower, lather/wash Col Conk Amber
Lather: Cella hybrid lathered with DIY black badger stubby
After: alum, Richard's Rub, glassed Clubman

07A76E05-1650-4915-BD10-6C2E71B5780B.jpeg

Fear of zamak rot destroying a legend keeps the Probak primarily on the bench. Its performance deserves better. The Karve on the Rosseforp handle never leaves the den, except to switch plates.

OCtober is winding down, Slantember is just a memory. After two months of primarily DE, injector/SR/SE will rule the roost in November.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
nice one, Jim!
being a fan of the BOCS, I had to order it too. Because of the shipment to Europe it will take several weeks before I can shave with it. I wonder if there´s a different in feel in comparaison to the BOCS...

10-26-20.El Fantasma.New.640.JPG

It's a lot different from the PBOCS. I like the PBOCS a good bit, but this razor seems significantly better to me. For one thing, the PBOCS has a lot of blade feel. It's not that I am strongly opposed to blade feel, but El Fantasma has very little blade feel. Actually, a lot of the time I don't feel the blade at all.

Of all my razors, the one I seem to have the most trouble keeping up with is the PBOCS. It was lost for months, but I found it and used it in Slantember. Now, I can't find it. Weird. If I could find it I'd weigh the two, but I think El Fantasma might be even lighter in weight.

I'll be interested in your impression of the razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm back with another burst of shaves....the soap was B&M 2020 Hallows (I like the scent so much that I got some aftershave balm, AND I got a rare compliment from the LOTH on the fragrance!) and the brush has been the RazoRock Plissoft 28mm Beehive. And without further ado, here are the shaves:

October 17th (Saturday) -- Gillette Goodwill #162 with a Gillette Silver Blue (a VERY nice shave)
proxy.php

October 19th (GEMonday) -- Open Comb Damaskeene with GEM SS PTFE (always a smooth shaver)
proxy.php

October 21st Wednesday (10 days to Halloween and my scariest shave!!!) -- Durham Duplex Dubarry with Personna Carpet Blades & Kriss Kross Rhodes with Schick Proline B-20. I stropped (and I mean STROPPED) that carpet blade on diamond paste, leather and linen, but it definitely still needs more work. It cut, and I gave it the first pass, but it didn't cut super-well and it was tuggy for anything that wasn't WTG. The KKR, which is not my most comfortable SE shaver, felt like I was dragging a velveteen bunny against my face compared to the Durham. That said, I'm not giving up on the Durham, despite the subpar blade, it still impressed me as a razor. Here are some pics to tell-the-tale:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

October 23rd Friday -- RazoRock Game Changer .68 OC on a Tibam New York handle with Gillette Nacet. A nice relaxing contrast to the previous shave.
proxy.php

October 26th GEMonday -- Kampfe Bros Star on a beautiful handle given to me by a fellow B&B'er with a GEM SS PTFE & Barnum Razor with GEM SS PTFE (de-spined and trimmed). The Star's pass was full of blade feel, and the Barnum (a new-to-me razor) was actually much smoother. All in all, a very nice shave!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It's a lot different from the PBOCS. I like the PBOCS a good bit, but this razor seems significantly better to me. For one thing, the PBOCS has a lot of blade feel. It's not that I am strongly opposed to blade feel, but El Fantasma has very little blade feel. Actually, a lot of the time I don't feel the blade at all.

I never got a PBOCS, but after this past Slantember I decided that I needed to revisit a couple of slants I'd given short shrift for various reasons. I have three in mind in particular: the Alpha Ecliptic and PBOCS from PAA and the iKon Shavecraft 102. Not one of which appear to be in production at the moment, or may ever be. When I nudged the folks at PAA about the PBOCS they said something would be out shortly.

I've got two Fantasmas on the way, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with additional editions. I sympathize with Douglas' comment that bakelite is his totem animal [grin] but I also understand that it's an unfamiliar quality to many modern manufacturers. ABS is pretty tough, so I expect some of the earlier problems with bakelite won't crop up.

I also recently picked up a Fasan Double Slant, so I'll be interested to compare "Grossvater und Enkelsohn" or "Gramps and the Punk." [grin]

Like most but a few lucky folks, I'm obsessively hunting reviews and watching YooToob videos because my razor is still transiting. Funny to see some of these guys who've apparently never handled a slant trying to tamp down the anxiety in their eyes. Then they shave with it and look surprised that it works.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Funny to see some of these guys who've apparently never handled a slant trying to tamp down the anxiety in their eyes. Then they shave with it and look surprised that it works.

Thanks for reminding me of that. It is funny. Been there myself. I thought an open comb was going to be like shaving with a chain saw.

The Fasan-El Fantasma comparisions? Can't wait.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom