Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

PSX_20201026_075258.jpg

OCtober 27: Even though I like looking at everyone’s pictures, I got tired of taking my own. Kind of a pain (for me). I enjoy shaving more. So here’s my shave for this morning. Extract from my shave-log dashboard —-

35AC50B0-1789-4D21-B43A-C041891C66A9.jpeg

And if you’re thinking “he thinks taking pictures is a pain, but he tracks all those details on a spreadsheet? :out:“ ..... I don’t blame you.

OCtober 27 - Gillette Senator

After a few days with the NEW LC, my face was feeling a bit over shaved. So I went back to the Senator, and again, so good. Enjoyed a new Nacet for a easy and comfortable 1 pass shave. The hallows soap lathers easily, and gives a slick shave with nice post shave feel. The scent is take it or leave it for me. Maybe it will grow more on me, but right now I’m very meh about it.

Prep: Hot Shower
OC: Gillette Senator
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap: B&M - Hallows
Brush: Simpson Commodore x1 SiLVERTiP
After: alum and Trumper Lime Skinfood
13E9B4B0-3AEE-40AE-B403-F19547349073.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
And if you’re thinking “he thinks taking pictures is a pain, but he tracks all those details on a spreadsheet? :out:“ ..... I don’t blame you.

Don't let it fuss you. Because I've lived most of my life on a different planet where phones are attached to the wall with a cord and ONLY do two things (answer calls or make them), I completely understand what a pain it can be to go hunt up the phone or a digital camera and grab a snap.

Interested in your reaction to the Starling, however. It seems a rather polarizing razor. I love mine, though with a stainless handle on it. Not quite as smooth as the Sabre, but then the Sabre is in a different genus entirely.

O.H.

Interested in your reaction to the Starling, however. It seems a rather polarizing razor. I love mine, though with a stainless handle on it. Not quite as smooth as the Sabre, but then the Sabre is in a different genus entirely.

Yes - I agree - the Sabre is beyond awesome. I have an L2 head which I run on an ATT Atlas handle. Definitely ranks a lot higher than the Starling. My ratings are qualitative and temporal. So today’s 10 for the Starling was today’s experience. I do enjoy the refreshing lightweight feel of the aluminum occasionally. And I find it pretty easy to hit a good angle with the Starling.

Average lifetime-use ratings are:
Starling - 8.15
Sabre - 9.58

I have heard that the Starling V2 is way better than the V1.

OCtober 27 - Valet AutoStrop annual outing

The VB1 is my first Valet AutoStrop, came with the full kit, except any new or used spare blades. The VC1 came recently as just the razor, not even a mounted blade. This was its first (and last?) visit to the den.

The de-spined Gem PTFE in the VB1 still has life in it. De-spining and modifying a PTFE for the VC1 was a breeze.

Shaving with this VC1? Not so much. After the first stroke of the shave, I washed off the VC1 and examined the blade engagement. My first encounter with a negative blade gap!

VB1 gap:
06777277-93DF-4CFF-BA8E-B7C886A17D73.jpeg

VC1 gap with edge below raised comb teeth:
814E5B58-F15E-4AB4-A852-7CCA9E7BF0CC.jpeg

The accomplices:
Col Conk Lime
RazoRock What the Puck Lime
Ever-Ready vintage Badgerlon brush
Alum, Lucky Tiger, Pinaud Lime Sec

64460B94-40DD-4486-9540-A161244AD714.jpeg

The VC1 refused to shave. The VB1 re-did the VC1's first pass. Then I tried pass 2 with the VC1 again using heavy pressure. Nothing (unless you count annoyance). So VB1 did pass 2 as planned. That was a lot or razor on face time already.

I called in my newly arrived Mingoose for touch up. Not OC, so my lips are sealed.

Wed 28th OCtober#22 SOTD with New Soap
Soap Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Pearl OC (Locally named Cukur)
Blade Derby Usta 4th
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Another new soap from P&B. Not much scent directly from the tub but it came during lathering. Nice mild bayrum scent...around 5/10. Hmmmm...
somehow the lather is not as good quality. Perhaps brush loading was too brief.
Shave with razor paired with blade was not as smooth too. However, 3 passes without any issues and between bbs to dfs results. Interesting. Good post and aftershaves. Rating 9/10
20201028_112004.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 28th, Wed, 2020

Razor: Gillette New long comb with ball end handle-Mfg 1930's, mid range, Canadian variant. Nice feeling razor IMO.
Blade: Gillette silver blue (6) Excellent blade, Sharp & Smooth, one of my favorite of DE blades.
Soap: Williams mug soap- great soap when applied a little more pastier than some croaps & hard soaps. Reasonable slickness.
Brush:Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle-excellent brush for lathering and cloud like soft tips. Very enjoyable brush.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Post shave: Pinauld Clubman after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: Excellent shave with my Gillette New long OC & GSB.
DE SOTD,Wed, OCt 28th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

A2A9A7B6-B37E-4DCC-9407-3FEA50A252D3.jpeg

Razor: Fendrihan Kingston
Blade: Gillette PPI Super Stainless (4)
Brush: Simpsons 55
Cream: Erasmic
AS: Gillette Cool Wave

Last OC SOTM with this razor. Might be its last shave altogether. I have a half dozen razors I like better than this one. It just can't stand up against my Fatip-made razors or my Slim. It's not that it's bad, it's just okay. I'm all cleaned up. But it's milder than the others and it takes longer to finish. If it interests you, drop me a PM.

Top Bottom