OCtober 2019

Oct 15
Razor: Jaws
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Boar
AS: Clubman
Balm: Nivea

Another great shave with Jaws. I have a few more vintage razors I will be using soon.

Cooper Monobilt/Derby Premium/RR 24mm Plissoft/Stone Cottage Leather&Smoke
Thayers Medicated WH Astringent/Chiseled Face Midnight Stag splash

A great shave with the Cooper. Thanks to a fellow B&B member, I acquired this razor via a trade and I couldn’t be happier with the results. A smooth 3 pass shave that was refreshing without a single mishap, weepers, nics or irritation. Just a wonderful shave. Great shaves to all....

A2D159D4-E2BC-438C-A722-78F1D49919F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Awesome shave today: A Micromatic, Gem SS PTFE, Ginger & Bergamot Soap and Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. 2-passes and a quick touch-up to get really close and comfortable shave.
proxy.php

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, so far all I've used this month is the New Long Comb I was given by @Tanuki. It is wonderful. But I THINK I'm changing the blade tomorrow. I'm 6? shaves into a blade, a Silver Star, from @geneaut.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A quick mid-month stat-snapshot:

82 folks have signed on for OCtober with 70 of them having posted shaves so far
415 shaves have been posted with over 115 different razor models
53% of the shaves were with Vintage razors versus 47% with Modern razors
49% of the shaves were posted with a pic

Top 3 Vintage Razors used by unique shavers (not total shaves)*
  1. Gillette Old Type
  2. Gillette New Long Comb
  3. Gillette New Short Comb
Top 3 Modern Razors used by unique shavers (not total shaves)*
  1. Fatip Piccolo
  2. Muhle R41
  3. RazoRock Game Changer .84 OC
* If you used the same razor for 5 shaves, it is only counted once for this stat.

Top 3 Shavers using the most razors (i.e., different models/types)
1. @Tanuki
2. @bdehne
3. @MitchellUK

Top 3 Most used Blades
  1. Astra SP
  2. Nacet
  3. Feather
I hope you guys find this interesting, and keep posting those shaves. We are averaging 28 shaves a day being posted.....which certainly keeps me busy.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

1. Gillette Old Type
  1. Fatip Piccolo
  2. Muhle R41
* If you used the same razor for 5 shaves, it is only counted once for this stat.

1. @Tanuki
2. @bdehne
3. @MitchellUK

Top 3 Most used Blades
  1. Astra SP
  2. Nacet
  3. Feather
I hope you guys find this interesting, and keep posting those shaves. We are averaging 28 shaves a day being posted.....which certainly keeps me busy.
Thanks for the effort, your one busy man Fred!

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #6
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
EDC: Roadster Sport
IMG_0375a.JPG

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OCtober shave count: (12)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande c
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Brush: Omega S11745
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Aftershave: Reuzel
039_50.jpg

I'm really enjoying this Shark Platinum I'm using. I first tried them a month ago, and have just now gotten around to using them again. I got side tracked when Esox talked me into using a Feather blade in my Grande. I only used a Shark Platinum for 5 shaves on my first use. This time I will take them to my normal 10 shaves and out that I do with all blades. Everything is good in my shave life. If you haven't tried Reuzel at some point you should. It's a very good aftershave splash for a great post feel and scent.

OCtober shave no. 3

Gillette thick cap ball end old type
IP (3)
Art of shaving sandalwood (vintage tallow soap)
Semogue boar brush
Lucky tiger aftershave tonic

proxy.php

This was probably my roughest shave to date with the old type. A little bit of irritation and one weeper over my Adam’s apple. I inspected the razor afterward and I noticed significant hairs stuck where the comb meets the blade. I took the razor apart and rinsed that gunk off. I flipped the blade and I’ll give it one more shave and if it’s still rough I’ll swap it out.

I’m probably also going to move onto my recently acquired gold schone for the next few shaves. The old type has been great but I’m ready for something different.

Scott

OCtober Shave #12

Gillette New Improved Standard Razor - 1922
Gillette Silver Blue (2)
APShave Faux Horse Hair v2 brush
Martin de Candre-Lav Soap
Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum AS

A little bit of a rough shave this morning, got a DFS+ but also 2 weepers and some irritation under my chin. I thought I had a good idea on the quirks of this razor, but apparently not. The WTG didn't seem to be as efficient as I would like, it felt like the GSB blade was not sharp enough, but I know that is technique related. ATG was good but there was still alot of stubble leading into the XTG. The XTG was the rough pass, which is unusual for me. I found skin stretching helped alot, but that was half way through the XTG pass.

I also noticed the New Improved liked long strokes, not short strokes. So tomorrow its long medium paced strokes with skin stretching on all passes and see how that works.

I also think new razor fatigue is setting in. Over my last 32 shaves, 27 shaves have been with 4 different razors I have not used before or only have used on 2 previous shaves. I have learned alot and polished up my technique, but I have also only had 5 nice, relaxed and easy shaves over the last month and a half. I am tempted to switch the blade out to my New SOC, but I hate doing that (only switched blades out to a different razor twice before) and I still think there is great potential in the New Improved.

Well, if adapting to using a new razor is the biggest problem I face today, then I will be having a Great Day! :thumbup:

Have a GreaT OnE Everyone! And Shave On!

OCtober shave #11
Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: WCS Tortoiseshell Torch Silvertip
Soap: NO Barrbarr
Aftershave: NO Barrbarr
Bowl: CC Copper

Started the shave with my Schone OC, but wasn't feeling it so I switched over, I don't remember how many shaves I have on this Astra SP, I should figure it out in the near future.

ER 1914
GEM PTFE SS (3)
Shampoo

Quick face shave in the shower

GEM MMOC
GEM PTFE SS (3)
Anthony’s brushless cream
Icy Velva AS

Quick head shave out of shower

(Technically the 1914 is closed comb since it all joins up at the bottom, but for where the comb hits the face it’s open)

I was wondering if these razors could be considered open comb since like you said, the part that touches your face is open. The comb just connects at the bottom to a "bar" for stability.

1. Gillette Old Type
  1. Fatip Piccolo
  2. Muhle R41

1. @Tanuki
2. @bdehne
3. @MitchellUK

Top 3 Most used Blades
  1. Astra SP
  2. Nacet
  3. Feather

Wow. That's a lot of number crunching. I have two of the popular vintage razors. I'm just missing the New Short comb and I have two of the popular blades I'm missing the Nacet. Thanks for all the work you're doing on this thread Fred.

OCtober Shave #16

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush: RazoRock 24mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Speick

Razor: Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
Blade: Derby Platinum
Cream : Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Lavender
Brush: Razorock 400 aluminium

OCtober Shave #13

Timeless 95 OC
Persona Red (13th)
PDP #63
30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Old Spice type AS (Homebrew....strong and long lasting)
Dab of PDP #63 Lotion to moisturize (scent doesn't last, only the OS smell remains)

This morning's shave on Oct 16:

Razor: WCS 110s OC
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: Omega S-Brush 10019
Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury
Aftershave: Proraso green

@Flintstone65 Thanks for the superb tracking and stats!

Happy mid-week all!

Top Bottom