What's new

OCtober 2017

Nice, I have a soft spot for the ABC's.
It's hard not to "have a soft spot " for them. Like the bulldogs (which I have yet to try), and so many others from that time period, the detail, shave quality, and durability can't help but impress and make my mind wander about the story they must have: cherished gifts; a reward to oneself for an achievement; definitely not disposable tools for a mundane task.
I've enjoyed your posts this month.

OC-TOBER shave 27:

For the final shave of OCtober, I wanted to end on a high note. Unfortunately I wasn't able to decide on which razor I wanted to use, so I ended up using that age old decision making technique, the coin toss. It was between the Gillette New LC and my 1910 SR. The coin decided that it would be the SR that would finish out OCtober and who am I to argue with random chance?

Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Omega 11137
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Brut After Shave
Additional Care:
Razorock Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel

proxy.php

Another wonderful shave from the SR with only one small weeper that was my fault (got careless around a zit near the side of my mustache) no real feedback from the alum. OC-TOBER was fun but I'm kind of glad it's over. Been missing my other gear and am itching to try a few new "toys".

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk
Beautiful final set-up.
I agree that the focus has been enjoyable, but I won't be using an OC in the morning, I have to admit.

Yesterday's Shave, both head and throat:
Gillette Big Fellow
Personna Lab Blue - 9
L'Occitaine Cade
Fuller
V's Barbershop Tonic AS

Today's Shave, both head and throat:
Gillette Big Fellow
Personna Lab Blue - 10
Cella
Ever-Ready 934L with original knot
Mennen Skin Bracer AS

Two really nice shaves to finish out the month. I am smitten with the Big Fellow. It seems to be just about the perfect razor for me. And, the Lab blue is on shave #10 and seems to not be slowing down at all.

It's hard not to "have a soft spot " for them. Like the bulldogs (which I have yet to try), and so many others from that time period, the detail, shave quality, and durability can't help but impress and make my mind wander about the story they must have: cherished gifts; a reward to oneself for an achievement; definitely not disposable tools for a mundane task.
I've enjoyed your posts this month.

Thank you, it's been a fun month. I've enjoyed taking the pictures and using razors that I haven't used in awhile, some I've never used.

The Bulldogs are great, they're like an Old Type with a better handle, the extra wait makes them smooth and efficient.

Well said, I often look at the razor in the mirror while shaving and wonder, where has this razor been. Tonight I used a '03/'04 Double Ring for the first time, where has that been for 114 years.

OCtober 31st

Gillette NI with Super Slim
WTS Sandalwood
Crown King Troubadour
BaBrew's Bay Rum AS Splash
Weleda AS Balm

Third shave with the NI and I had it dialed in a little better. I took a page from my experience with the Fine Slant the last couple days and backed off the steep angle to a more moderate one. I found this helped keep the irritation down and I was able to shave very close. A nice shave to finish the month on a day when LA is experiencing actual fall weather(cool and drizzly). The warmth of the Sandalwood and Bay Rum aromas and my smooth, comfortable shave carried me through the day.

That was a fun month, gentlemen. Many thanks for the great pics, inspiration, and camaraderie. What's next, No Comb November?

I've switched to face lathering and the Hi-Brush is garbage for that when it comes to my skin. For supposedly being synthetic badger, it's really pokey and I get mean brush burn from it. The S-brush is worlds better in terms of feel, comfort, and performance.

I like face lathering, but have a similar issue. I was a bit upset when I realized that my brush was contributing to irritation. The S brush I use for bowl lathering but find it still a bit much for face lathering. I got a Crown King recently which is a bit softer than the S, but I haven't tried it face lathering yet. Hmmm, what should I do for tomorrow's shave...?

Well, this is it, OCtober 31st, this month has really gone be fast. It's been a lot of fun and challenging to take pictures of my 31 shaves with 31 different razors, some I haven't used in awhile and some I've never used. Even more though, I've enjoyed looking at all of your pictures, my RAD didn't need any help, and now it's off the charts. I definitely need a British Aristocrat or two or three, the problem with that is I do all my shopping in the wild and I doubt if there are very many in Southern Missouri.

Tonight's shave was special for me, I used a razor that I recently found, one that I've been dreaming about since I started this hobby a little over 2 years ago. Thanks again @Shutterbug57 for starting this thread and allowing me to share my hobby.

#31 1903/'04, No S/N, PAT. APL'D. FOR, Double Ring

2017-10-31 17.57.01.jpg

Well, this is it, OCtober 31st, this month has really gone be fast. It's been a lot of fun and challenging to take pictures of my 31 shaves with 31 different razors, some I haven't used in awhile and some I've never used. Even more though, I've enjoyed looking at all of your pictures, my RAD didn't need any help, and now it's off the charts. I definitely need a British Aristocrat or two or three, the problem with that is I do all my shopping in the wild and I doubt if there are very many in Southern Missouri.

Tonight's shave was special for me, I used a razor that I recently found, one that I've been dreaming about since I started this hobby a little over 2 years ago. Thanks again @Shutterbug57 for starting this thread and allowing me to share my hobby.

View attachment 834091
Nice! Glad to see your taking it for a spin!

I like face lathering, but have a similar issue. I was a bit upset when I realized that my brush was contributing to irritation. The S brush I use for bowl lathering but find it still a bit much for face lathering. I got a Crown King recently which is a bit softer than the S, but I haven't tried it face lathering yet. Hmmm, what should I do for tomorrow's shave...?

I find the Plisson-type knots work great for face lathering. They're crazy soft and the pokey feeling is really minimal in my experience. I like the little extra bit of feedback the S-brush is giving me. It feels a little closer to actual boar, but my real boar brushes are still softer in general.

I've been seeing on the forums and reddit that the tuxedo style synthetics are very good. Maybe even better than the Plisson type knots. It's tempting, but I think I'm good with what I have for now. I'm trying very hard to keep the Acquisition Disorder at bay.

IMG_20171101_015400592.jpg
IMG_20171101_015417752.jpg
1) NEW LC
2) Big Boy Hybrid
3) Richwood #81 RFB
4) Flat Bottom Goodwill
5) 17mm NEW Deluxe
6) English Single Ring OT
7) Double Ring
8) NEW Deluxe President
9) Gillette Cavalier (NI)
10) Gillette Old Type DeLuxe (my favorite razor)
11) Gillette Senator

Group photo (I forgot the double ring), with closeup of the DeLuxe.
See you next year everybody!!!

Used basically the same shave setup for today's shave and my last entry into "OCtober".

Shave:
Fatip Grande
Blue Diamond Titanium
Semogue 610
Arko

Post Shave:
Baxter mint toner (seems to be basically witch haze. It was a gift)
Aqua Velva blue
Arko Natural Krem

OCtober allowed me to realize that I like OC's.

View attachment 834113 View attachment 834114 1) NEW LC
2) Big Boy Hybrid
3) Richwood #81 RFB
4) Flat Bottom Goodwill
5) 17mm NEW Deluxe
6) English Single Ring OT
7) Double Ring
8) NEW Deluxe President
9) Gillette Cavalier (NI)
10) Gillette Old Type DeLuxe (my favorite razor)
11) Gillette Senator

Group photo (I forgot the double ring), with closeup of the DeLuxe.
See you next year everybody!!!

Matt, somehow... I think it would have been better not to post this pic...

If you follow me...

View attachment 834091

You used your SR? Your $2 SR? Hmmm...

Well done!

Nice! Glad to see your taking it for a spin!

Thanks, I had to use it at least once. Now it's going into simi-retirement until next OCtober. While using it last night, I couldn't stop thinking, what if I drop it. I don't need that kind of stress in my life. :117:

Top Bottom