What's new

Occam's razor.

I will put my final thoughts together after the next shave and give it's pro's & con's.
3726761_orig.gif

I thought it wouldn't make it either but, the video and some experimenting with grip, technique and blade choices have really shined a new light onto this razor. I've got one more shave with it, but to be honest this thing stays in the den. There are a couple of things that I will point out in my final assessment of the razor, but overall it has been very good. Enjoy the shaves.... :001_cool:

I have no interest in this razor but like reading all the reviews.

To start, the Kai guarded blade reduces blade exposure by .005" due to the add metal on the blade edge. I compared it with a regular Kai Mild PINK and Proline in my SE1 and SE2. So it makes sense that it would smooth out the most aggressive plate for you. If I recall correctly, you didn't use the Schick Proline with the #2 plate.

You mentioned how smooth the shave got with the Kai MG/#3 over the Proline/#3. Proline/#2 may be as smooth as the Kai MG/#3 and possibly more efficient. I don't know what the blade gap specs of the plates are but a .005" reduction will make a difference. Just an observation!

Last edited:
I have no interest in this razor but like reading all the reviews.

To start, the Kai guarded blade reduces blade exposure by .005" due to the add metal on the blade edge. I compared it with a regular Kai Mild PINK and Proline in my SE1 and SE2. So it makes sense that it would smooth out the most aggressive plate for you. If I recall correctly, you didn't use the Schick Proline with the #2 plate.

You mentioned how smooth the shave got with the Kai MG/#3 over the Proline/#3. Proline/#2 may be as smooth as the Kai MG/#3 and possibly more efficient. I don't know what the blade gap specs of the plates are but a .005" reduction will make a difference. Just an observation!

Good input. I haven't tried the 2 dot head with neither of the blades. But with your specs on the KAI's blade reduction, it does seem logical that the Proline perhaps can give as good and smooth a shave on the 2 dot head. I couldn't say for certain though, since I don't know the numbers on the blade gap and blade exposure on the head sizes. Nevertheless, your observation makes a lot of sense. I will definitely investigate further this idea of yours..... :thumbsup:

After changing my grip and giving it a few more head and face shaves, for now, I'm going to keep it as a head shaver. It does provide a smooth close shave, but it's still not perfect for me. The blade guard and screw protrusions give me difficulties when shaving under my nose. I can't get the razor flat against my upper lip close to my nostrils or just under the tip of my nose no matter how much I push the tip of my nose up or press my tongue under my lip. I have finished my face shaves with a DE or injector in that location. Everywhere else, it seems to do well. My nose is probably too big for this razor. The P.O. lost my Mr. SE and are working on tracking it down. They promised to make it right if they don't find it. I doubt they will find it, so I took @rabidus advice and went for an ATT SE1 as a Christmas present to myself. The design doesn't give me the impression that I would have the same issues as I currently have. I'll make another judgment about keeping the OR after I get a few shaves with the SE1.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I've spent the week now with the OR, and have been pretty happy. I watched the videos and played around with how to hold it and now find it easy to use. No weepers or nicks at all, and I like it on my head just like ajlawhorne. I put my thumb in the index finger divot, and it works great on the back of the head upstroke. Again, I have a goatee, (or is it a Van Dyke?) so I don't have any of the potential nose issues listed above.
As a side note, I used my RR XXX soap and aftershave for the first time tonight, and it smells great!

Yesterday I shaved with the OR and this was the best so far. I used Luke’s technique the whole way through the Shave and I also tried a Kai Instead of the Proline and not sure that had anything to do with the Shave I got but I’ll have to use the same technique next time but I’ll use the Proline and see if it gets any better.
I just did a quick 2 pass shave and it was between a CCS and DFS with no touch ups. So things are looking up!

Yesterday I shaved with the OR and this was the best so far. I used Luke’s technique the whole way through the Shave and I also tried a Kai Instead of the Proline and not sure that had anything to do with the Shave I got but I’ll have to use the same technique next time but I’ll use the Proline and see if it gets any better.
I just did a quick 2 pass shave and it was between a CCS and DFS with no touch ups. So things are looking up!
Good to hear. I got too many new razors at once and been hooked on the Paradigm. Need to get back to OR

12/16/17

Rounds 7,8 & 9

Haven’t been able to put the last 2 shaves prior to this one in the shave report spaces here. Work, family and the holiday shuffle have been very hectic, plus I received a vintage injector razor that I just had to try out. That’s done and over with (great shave by the way with the injector, report on that soon). Put 3 more shaves in from last Saturday to today and they have been just superb.

I will just come out flat and say it. The razor stays in my rotation as it has proven to be an excellent and efficient razor regardless of hair growth from 1-3 days in my experience. It took me 2-3 shaves to get it dialed in, but once I got the feel, grip and technique for it, it has been smooth sailing without a single issue. All shaves have produced excellent results with various blades in the mix. From a Feather Pro Super, Schick Proline and KAI ProTouch Pink’s, no complaints at all with neither of them. I will say that my best shaves came at the hands of the KAI ProTouch Pink with the 3 dot head. They were smooth, comfortable and very close that gave really good longevity on face feel and duration of quality of shave. I must say that I never did use the 1 dot head in the razor. But I will in the future experiment with the 1 dot head. As for now, the 2 & 3 dot were more than enough to get me good, consistent shaves.

First, the pro’s on the Occam’s razor:
1. Solid build and construction. SS gents, it’s not going anywhere. Fit and finish is top notch with not a hint of sloppiness in its construction.
2. Adjustability. You can set it to your favorite set up and forget it. Like I said, I never tried the 1 dot head but with the other 2 sizes I never felt an overly aggressive shave or blade feel with it. Just smooth shaves and I never felt that I would cut or nic myself with it.
3. Weight distribution. Though I thought it should have weighed more since it’s all SS, it was surprisingly light but, very well balanced. Good in the hands, with good transitional movement between WTG, XTG and ATG shave passes. It has a sort of tongue depressor type handle, but it never felt slippery nor did I drop it. And the groove on the handle actually aides in getting a proper grip just right under the head.
4. Blade insertion/removal is a snap. I actually don’t use the tool that came included with it for removing and installing a blade. Just grab a blade, insert from the rear of the head, and a gentle 2 finger push on the blade from both ends. Easy as pie.
5. Great clean and rinse razor. No other safety razor comes close in clearing out soap and hair. Nothing.
6. Nice, wide head. Covers more real estate with each pass.

Now the con’s. I don’t have much, but I believe they are significant in holding back a razor that is good that potentially could have been great:
1. The guard. It is just a big safety guard and I believe it doesn’t allow for the blade to engage more smoothly with the skin. A little less safety bar would turn this razor up a notch in efficiency and feel in my opinion.
2. Ease of adjustability. Let’s face it, having to use a tool (small Phillips head ) to remove 2 screws to change head types is a bit of a nuisance. Though you get an extra set in the razor kit, if you’re careless or happen to drop one in your bathroom/shave den sink, good luck. I think a simple slide and lock mechanism would have been much better and easier to deal with in changing those head plates. Besides, who uses a tool to shave with their razor? Exactly.
3. The handle can be an issue. It’s love or hate and getting a proper grip or hold of it can be a bit of an issue. It took me a fe shaves to figure it out and find a hold I was comfortable with. Not a deal breaker, but has to be mentioned nonetheless.
4. Maneuverability. The wide head is great on flat, clean passes. But getting into the corners of your mouth and lining up those sideburns can be a real problem. Again, the safety bar for me is the culprit here. And if you have a pronounced Adams Apple such as I do, it can get tricky moving around there. Not impossible, but more work required to get it done compared to others. I don’t shave the stache area, but I can see where using it can be a problem. Again, back to the safety bar here.

In the end, the Occam’s is a very capable razor in giving excellent shaves. My shaves got better as I got more and more shaves in. Worked with every blade I put in it. The razor never felt aggressive nor did I feel that it was capable of cutting me.

The razor has great potential in being an everyday shaver. A simpler system for changing the heads and a reduced safety bar contact area would pay off big dividends in making it more user friendly and a force in the safety razor world. It’s a competent razor that gets it done, but I believe with a couple of tweaks it can be a top shaver in anyone’s shave arsenal. As it stands, it’s just a notch below, a tiny one to some of the heavy hitters in my possession. But it’s a keeper and it has a uniqueness to it that draws me. Anyway, that’s how I see it......
9BC9CBC0-02D7-45CC-9EDA-22578A11A3A4.jpeg

55D2EAB2-AC38-470B-BFBA-C23AD634FA89.jpeg

@GlazedBoker Excellent review and summation! Thank You. I agree completely. All I would add is it is very difficult to buff the upper lip with this razor, it is , however, the smoothest SE I own even on 3 dot level

@imatabor when I first tried it I thought it’s otta here but as I learned the grip it has become A Really Nice shave. For me there was definitely a learning curve in using it.

Great summary Gus and I don't think I could have said it any better in describing my journey and the learning curve I went through with the OR. I'm using the same blades as you are Gus and getting the same results. Shavemd I agree about the upper lip issue but it's gone from I'm probably going to sell this razor to it to a keeper. I think one of the things that kept me trying was I like the looks as it's unique so I kept wanting to like and and now I can say I do!

@GlazedBoker Excellent review and summation! Thank You. I agree completely. All I would add is it is very difficult to buff the upper lip with this razor, it is , however, the smoothest SE I own even on 3 dot level

Thanks amigo. And yes, I would agree with you on buffing the upper lip. Fortunately, I don’t shave that area. The Misses likes the stache..... :thumbsup:
But back to your point on the upper lip. I do have to employ some maneuvering in cleaning up the corners of my mouth where my mustache comes down too. It can get tricky.

@GlazedBoker , This is a roller coaster of a thread. I have totally convinced myself that this was a razor to skip over but now I'm back to being interested.

It wouldn’t be fun if it weren’t a roller coaster.....:jump:

Great summary Gus and I don't think I could have said it any better in describing my journey and the learning curve I went through with the OR. I'm using the same blades as you are Gus and getting the same results. Shavemd I agree about the upper lip issue but it's gone from I'm probably going to sell this razor to it to a keeper. I think one of the things that kept me trying was I like the looks as it's unique so I kept wanting to like and and now I can say I do!

Thanks brother! :punk:Learning curve is the right word. Just takes a few shaves to figure out angles, grip and maneuverability. It is a wide head, but workable. And you’re spot on. It just has a uniqueness to it that just grows on you. I can shave with all the blades mentioned, but I got the best ones with the KAI ProTouch on the 3 dot with the Proline nipping at its heels on the 2 dot.
One thing that I forgot to mention was that I think that the floating blade design is what tends to give the Occam’s a more forgiving shave or “softer feel”. The blade in the two tab mounts sort of recedes once contact is made on the skin, taking some of the harshness and aggressive feel on some of the more aggressive blade profiles, a la Feather Super Pro. Never thought I could cut myself even with the Super in the 3 dot. I can’t say that with the El Jefe, Cobra, MR-SE or the Claymore. You can shave with the Super in those razors, but excellent technique and good concentration is paramount. What’s the best working blade for you so far?

Thanks amigo. And yes, I would agree with you on buffing the upper lip. Fortunately, I don’t shave that area. The Misses likes the stache..... :thumbsup:
But back to your point on the upper lip. I do have to employ some maneuvering in cleaning up the corners of my mouth where my mustache comes down too. It can get tricky.

It wouldn’t be fun if it weren’t a roller coaster.....:jump:

Thanks brother! :punk:Learning curve is the right word. Just takes a few shaves to figure out angles, grip and maneuverability. It is a wide head, but workable. And you’re spot on. It just has a uniqueness to it that just grows on you. I can shave with all the blades mentioned, but I got the best ones with the KAI ProTouch on the 3 dot with the Proline nipping at its heels on the 2 dot.
One thing that I forgot to mention was that I think that the floating blade design is what tends to give the Occam’s a more forgiving shave or “softer feel”. The blade in the two tab mounts sort of recedes once contact is made on the skin, taking some of the harshness and aggressive feel on some of the more aggressive blade profiles, a la Feather Super Pro. Never thought I could cut myself even with the Super in the 3 dot. I can’t say that with the El Jefe, Cobra, MR-SE or the Claymore. You can shave with the Super in those razors, but excellent technique and good concentration is paramount. What’s the best working blade for you so far?

Gus I’m going back and forth between the Proline and the Kai with the Occam. I’ve gotten good shaves from both blades but in the beginning I got some just OK shaves with both blades. Same issue I’m having with the ATT SE1. Definitely Proline with the SE2.
I’d say the Occam has maybe been the most challenging razor to master but I think I’ve finally nailed it. Just need to figure out what blade is best in this tool.
:shaving:

Top Bottom