What's new

Occam's razor? ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

I have by chance come across this thread on the Occams Razor, and must assume that the writer is referring to either
the Occams V1 Or V2 [ Oren], and not The Enoch or Hiram Commander ?

I am a Daily Shaver with a heavy beard and have used the Oren, Enoch & Hiram Commander. I now have had over 30 shaves with the Oren, and admit when I first loaded it I found it a fiddle and did spoil a blade. However, I then got it right and have hand loaded it ever since and never lost a blade.With a new Razor it pays to persevere as I have found out over the years when trying out various Vintage SE/ Injectors and more latterly AC/SEs.

How do I find the Occam-Oren ? I have used mine for the last few days as I wanted some no fuss quality Shaves. I personally rate it as one of my best AC/SE Razors, and I have the following in my Stable :- Alu Hawk, Alu General, Claymore V1, Mongoose B3, ATT SE1, and recently the S/S Hawk V3-OC. I actually traded in my King Cobra once I tried The Oren. I like @L.A. Jones would be more than pleased to take this Razor off your hands. I use mine on Plate 3 with a Feather Proguard blade.

IMG_0776 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Fifteen minutes trying to load a blade and the best I can do, with or without the ridiculous tool, is to destroy the edge of the expensive blade by sliding it across the metal before it... no wait.. it DOESN'T snap in place! If you so much as LOOK at the blade, it falls OUT OF THE DAMN THING. God am I glad I didn't pay full price for such a worthless piece of junk. I can't believe they would even 'conceptualize' such a trash product and I'm ashamed for having fallen for the gimmick. I wouldn't give this razor as a gift to my worst enemy. My 4 year old is gonna have a new toy razor to play with because I can't even imagine it working properly as a paperweight. What a joke.
I suggest that you persevere, I had a problem when I first loaded it. After a second try it has worked very well - penned a few thoughts on my use of The Occam-Oren

I suggest that you persevere, I had a problem when I first loaded it. After a second try it has worked very well - penned a few thoughts on my use of The Occam-Oren
I appreciate the encouragement but I've given it several tries and I have no time to fiddle with it when literally every one of the other 150+ razors I have load quickly and easily. Even if the blade would snap in place, I have ZERO confidence it will stay seated. AC blades are way too dangerous to play games with. I'm good. I'll just move on.

I have by chance come across this thread on the Occams Razor, and must assume that the writer is referring to either
the Occams V1 Or V2 [ Oren], and not The Enoch or Hiram Commander ?

I am a Daily Shaver with a heavy beard and have used the Oren, Enoch & Hiram Commander. I now have had over 30 shaves with the Oren, and admit when I first loaded it I found it a fiddle and did spoil a blade. However, I then got it right and have hand loaded it ever since and never lost a blade.With a new Razor it pays to persevere as I have found out over the years when trying out various Vintage SE/ Injectors and more latterly AC/SEs.

How do I find the Occam-Oren ? I have used mine for the last few days as I wanted some no fuss quality Shaves. I personally rate it as one of my best AC/SE Razors, and I have the following in my Stable :- Alu Hawk, Alu General, Claymore V1, Mongoose B3, ATT SE1, and recently the S/S Hawk V3-OC. I actually traded in my King Cobra once I tried The Oren. I like @L.A. Jones would be more than pleased to take this Razor off your hands. I use mine on Plate 3 with a Feather Proguard blade.

View attachment 1108595
I will PIF with this razor, but I must admit, I feel bad for the recipient. I hope it finds a nice home. Keep an eye out. And you are correct, it's a V1 (long guard).

I will PIF with this razor, but I must admit, I feel bad for the recipient. I hope it finds a nice home. Keep an eye out. And you are correct, it's a V1 (long guard).
I wonder if there is a manufacturing defect in your particular razor. Like a few other folks who have tried and abandoned the Oren razor, it wasn't because of any problems loading the blade. I just did not get a very good shave with it. You're the first person whom I've heard complain about blade loading on the Oren. With the Enoch, which I really like, it took a while to master blade loading. But even there, after a couple of weeks it's no more difficult than any other three piece razor.

I had an Oren razor but like many its now gone to some one else. The shave results were 'meh' at best and 'did it really shave me?' at worst. Regardless of plate used the shave was no closer and sharper. Regards putting the blade in, the number 2 plate was a struggle and it did fall straight through when pushed trying to get it in. I gave up and re-boxed it after around 6 shaves. Wish I still had my cobra as it was superb, but needed to pay the credit card.

I was looking at this razor last week as a possible option to add to my collection. Just reading the majority of posts here I am glad that I dodged the bullet and went with a different razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I said I wasn't into the AC blades, but I just picked up a Hawk V3 OC and some mild Titan blades, and I'll have my first ever AC shave coming up soon.

I think you've got a good shave coming. I laughed after my first shave with it using a Kai guarded blade. Too mild, which is kind of a negative pleasure. Nice to have mild sometimes, but not at the expense of still having hair when I'm "done" shaving.

I'm rocking the unguarded mild in the V3SB at the moment, then I'll pivot over to the V3OC and retry that. Much, much better shave qualitatively. One of the two best SB razors this mainly-OC guy has used, the other being your old nemesis the Wunderbar.

Same adaptation technique here, BTW. Carry it around unloaded, twiddle it. Do that for an evening and next day's shave you'll feel like you already know the razor's balance and feel.

O.H.

Op. The occam’s “Oren” version is prone to deformation due to how they grind down a normal occam’s to create the Oren. I had one of each. The Oren would not load a blade. I exchanged it and got one that works.

Email classic IMMEDIATELY. It’s defective.

Op. The occam’s “Oren” version is prone to deformation due to how they grind down a normal occam’s to create the Oren. I had one of each. The Oren would not load a blade. I exchanged it and got one that works.

That's good info. Unfortunately, this is the V1 with the long guard and solid handle. I just don't consider this a good design or product. I don't like trashing a product but this is the worst razor I've ever picked up and I used to own a first gen El Jefe!

That's good info. Unfortunately, this is the V1 with the long guard and solid handle. I just don't consider this a good design or product. I don't like trashing a product but this is the worst razor I've ever picked up and I used to own a first gen El Jefe!

To bad that the Occam’s V1 didn’t work out for you. I own 2 versions of the original and the O.R.E.N. Fabulous shavers all of them. Never bothered with using the tool to load a blade. It’s fairly easy to load by hand and seating it on the blade nubs. The floating blade design actually does what it was designed to do and provide an effortless feeling smooth yet, efficient feeling shave. Never any irritation, nics, cuts or weepers from both models. Solid razors in my experience.

The El Jefe is just an awesome razor and is the only SE Artist Club shaver that’s adjustable which it was not intended to be. Yes, it can be a challenge to use depending on how you install the blade on the blade posts. Rest it as far back on the posts, lock it in and it gives a surprisingly smooth yet efficient feeling shave. Position the blade as far forward on the blade posts and hang on, it’s a doozy. I call the El Jefe the “Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde” razor. Best of both worlds....

I just bought an Occam Nano, once I figured out getting the blade in, it is an amazing shave. Dont know why folks are struggling with it. I used to shave a straight razor but stropping and honing are just time killers in my life. Shaves fast and very close on the intermediate plate. Really happy with it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just bought an Occam Nano, once I figured out getting the blade in, it is an amazing shave. Dont know why folks are struggling with it. I used to shave a straight razor but stropping and honing are just time killers in my life. Shaves fast and very close on the intermediate plate. Really happy with it.

What is the difference between the nano and the standard Oren razor?

I got mine today. It took about 1, maybe 2 minutes to figure, cuss and fuss before The Feather Pro loaded and clicked into place. The “ nubs” could be a little more pronounced, but geez, it ain’t that bad! Now, tomorrow morning, I’ll find out how it stacks up against my ATTSE 1,
(when loaded w a Feather, nick-named “ the abattoir”) my
Razorock and various DEs which I switch out for fun.

Maybe it’ll be a pig, but it’s not that hard to load. (the tool it comes with is about as useful as teats on a boar, though.)

Thanks for the tip I just ordered one and asked classic shaving to do a check before sending it to holland because a two way trip is more than the razor at this moment.

Top Bottom