What's new

Nurse Dave's journey

I've been curious what you mean by shave the lather not the face. I assume you mean only shave the areas that you haven't already shaved and don't go back trying to get everything when there is no lather left?
No, Sorry I did not explain. It is all about pressure and the lack thereof to get the best shaves. So mentally you try not to shave your face, you try to shave the lather layer off your face. we are all heavy handed by nature and this exercise tricks you into shaving with less pressure. I have never subscribed to the no lather avoidance. If the soap gives you good residual slickness, you can go over with overlapping strokes, and in most cases you can even do water only cleanups with a good blade and once your technique is strong. Hope that helps

Parker 76R with Personna med prep, 1st shave
Mike's Natural Lime
Pure badger brush
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Too Sexy cologne

Because of the kindness of @DCRIII I have some med prep blades to compare to the other Personnas. Popped this into the 76R since I'm still feeling out the Q-shave. My thought was it had the same performance as the reds that I use. Clean cut, not the same extreme feeling of laser like hair removal of the Feather, but with a feeling of a safety cushion with high performance. I'll have to switch back to my reds right after using this for a few days to compare the two one after the other.

Mike's Lime was nice. Pretty sure I've discovered lime anything will be in my wheelhouse. But it wasn't a wow me scent that I think I'll be buying. And I did find the lather to be thinning out by the third pass again, but there was plenty of it. I did switch back to my pure badger brush today. I noticed it lathered a bit faster than the synthetic, which makes sense because of a stiffer backbone. I had to use so little soap, the sample I have should be enough for 15 shaves. But when I put it to my face my thought was "What's with this rough scratchy crap?!". Guess I might be converted already. If nothing else I have variety for different moods. But I'm pleased I can keep my dream birch handled silver tip on my wish list.

Oh, forgot my shout out to @skypsyd. Sounded strange even in my head, but I was thinking "shave the lather" this morning and kinda of got what you were talking about. I do think I might be subconsciously applying more pressure in my problem areas to flatten out curves and try to get everything. I'm pretty sure I actually removed more this was and there was little to no stinging this time. Other areas were not quite as BBS as usual, but it was an interesting process that I'll incorporate.

Excellent, That light touch with some skin stretching is the key IMHO to getting BBS on a regular basis. Holding the razor with 3-fingers lightly and with the right angle the razor will do all the work, and you will be rewarded. Fantastic Job!!

Parker 76R with Personna med prep, 2nd shave
C.C. North
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Dr Carver's post shave balm
Euphoria cologne

This morning was a mixed bag. For some reason I was totally distracted. Nothing big going on for me to worry about, but just couldn't focus. I started at the wrong angle and even after I realized that, I got my cheeks done and then reached for my brush to relather forgetting to shave my neck. Ey ye ye. But I did have a minor breakthrough. I noticed one of my youtube friends (he doesn't know we're friends), Kensurfs, does a pass on his neck straight up. He starts at the half way point and shaves up, then goes back to finish the bottom. I realized I don't think I've tried straight up since I started DE shaving and thinking I'm mapping my beard. So I've decided I need to stop trying to figure out what is wtg, xtg, and atg on my neck and just find three directions that don't sting. So now I have diagonal down and back to start, then straight up. One more and I might be at a golden no sting shave.

Had A little sample of Dr Carver's balm I figured I'd try. I was expecting a musky or spicy scent. Nope, nothing. Just lotion, and pretty thick lotion to boot. In the end it soaked in nicely and I'm thinking a total "non" scent can be better than even just a plain a lotion smell when you're going to layer it with something.

Music note: Just as an aside, all this week I've been playing my Pandora station based on Jesse Cook. He's a Canadian that plays acoustic guitar in a style what is most simply defined as Spanish. I've seen him twice live, pretty good show with the rest of his group damn fine musicians themselves. I've tried piano music, and classical guitar, but they were a little too sedate for the shaving experience. I think this hits the mark for me in terms of relaxing, but upbeat enough to get the day going.

Merkur 38c with Personna red, 1st shave
Sudsy Soapery White Sage and Lime
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Sudsy Soapery White Sage and Lime post shave balm

Two mail calls yesterday. Won the Merkur through a PIF and took a flier on the sage and lime based of other's descriptions since I enjoy lime.

The Merkur surprised me. It looked like it would be a very mild razor, and maybe it was but there was a lot of blade feel. Because of the blade feel I thought this was going to scape the heck out of my face, but it didn't. It even left some hair behind. So I'm a little confused, blade feel, but not an aggressive shave. Going to take me a few days to figure this one out. I was able to go back and touch up my problem spots. So maybe this will end up producing the best results I've had. No razor burn.

I enjoyed the sage and lime. It took a little more water than most soaps I've used, but made a good lather. I am going to try a soap I'm familiar with tomorrow to see if the razor performance was related to maybe a lack of slipperiness. The balm had a much more intense scent of course and I like it. The sage the lime blend well together and make a warmer, slightly herbal lime. The only issue I have is it's now 90 minutes after I applied it and it still hasn't all soaked in, and I'm sitting next to my wife and she can't smell it even though I can. I'll use a little less next time to see if that helps with absorption. I can't see continuing to use it if residue remains for hours after application.

Gotta try a synthetic brush at some point. Too many good things posted here on the forums to ignore them forever. And your review of the balm has me skeptical of trying them out as I am used to splashes and sprays. I do have one that is a lotion though and it doesn't linger like you described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta try a synthetic brush at some point. Too many good things posted here on the forums to ignore them forever.
I do have to say the only reason I have one is it was a good deal from BST. We have a couple trips this summer and thought I'd grab it since they are supposed to dry much faster. Otherwise I think I wouldn't get one. Nothing related to the performance, but I like the aura around natural elements being transformed to part of the experience by crafts people.

Merkur 38c with Personna red, 2nd shave
L&L After the Rain
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Today was very much a lazy Sunday shave. It started with a toasted crossaint with Brie and raspberry jam after watching CBS Sunday Morning. Then a rare luxury, took my 2nd cup of coffee into the shower and turned up my music loud enough to hear it in there.

Went back to my trusted and true L&L to check out this razor again. Seemed a bit smoother this time, but seem to have a lot of residual wiskers on my neck. I did try three passes without ATG on my neck this time. So betting it was that and not the razor at fault. I'll have to keep going back and forth between my razors while I also work on my technique. I did realize yesterday I shave the sound. Meaning the 2nd pass, when I hear a lot of feed back in think I added pressure thinking my first pass left a lot behind so I need to try to make up for it on the 2nd. So much to learn.

Parker 76R with Personna med prep, 3rd shave
Mikey Lee The Kraken
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Switching back tot he Parker was like coming home. Nice and smooth, easy shave. So either the Merkur just doesn't work for me, or I need more time figuring out the angle or trying a different blade in it. All just as likely. The Kraken was a surprise. I has forgotten what the description was for this one and was ready for a powerful scent due to the name. Nope, smelled like powdered clothes soap to me. Not terrible, but not what I'll using again.
Nice smooth shave. Noticed I was holding the razor with fingertips and shaving the lather. I went with comfortable directions for my neck passes and just went back to touch up the trouble areas instead of shaving specifically for them the whole time. Seemed to work well. Really no rawness post shave since I don't know when. What a nice feeling. Nice and clean and smooth and cool without the heat from sore skin.

Thanks for the warning about the kracken Dave. Was planning to try it. I think I ordered a sample but I might have skipped it

Thanks for the warning about the kracken Dave. Was planning to try it. I think I ordered a sample but I might have skipped it

Well hey, maybe you *really* like Tide :D

If you haven't ordered it, let me know and I'll be happy to send on my sample gratis. No reason not to give it a shot once. I know some folks like it.

Well hey, maybe you *really* like Tide :D

If you haven't ordered it, let me know and I'll be happy to send on my sample gratis. No reason not to give it a shot once. I know some folks like it.

I will check my order later and let you know I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday

Parker 76R with Personna med prep, 4th shave
Captain's Choice Lime
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

First time I've taken a blade past 3 shaves. She performed beautifully. Has me curious how long it will go before I notice a change, but not curious enough to keep shaving with it and risk introducing a negative aspect to a shave on purpose. I have enough other variables at the moment.
Super light pressure and avoiding a certain direction on my neck does seem to be paying off. I can even do a clean up pass on the problem areas and I'm getting darn close to BBS without irritation.
CC's lime was enjoyable. Nice clean citrus scent. Wish it was just a touch stronger, but better to be wanting more than it be too strong to be enjoyed. Pairs well with the summer smell of St Kitts.
Been reading more about using an alum block. Very curious to see what my results will be using one. I have one sitting in a shopping basket, but probably won't pull the trigger on that til after our summer trips.

Top Bottom