What's new

Nurse Dave's journey

Nice read Dave and nice shave also. I thoroughly enjoy alum post shave it has done wonders for making me pay attention to technique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parker 76R with Personna red, 1st shave
Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate
Pure badger brush
Witch hazel
V's Original Barbershop Tonic
Nivea post shave balm
Pinaud Clubman

I'm looking forward to experimenting with the Q-shave and Feather blades more, but wanted to do my comparison between Personna reds and med preps. And from what I experienced today, I need one more day. I was expecting exactly the same feel, but the red this morning felt like it had that extreme sharp tugging. It reminded me of carts when you know the 2nd day is going to be smoother that the 1st with a new cart. So I'll see if things mello out tomorrow, but the med prep I used yesterday was smoother than today's shave.

EJ has a winner with Limes and Pomegranate. This was more a cream than a soap and it took very little to create a lather right away. This is another one I think could be a little stronger, but I could see using it in the future. Switched back to the pure badger just for a change. Unless the last time I switched, it wasn't annoyingly scratchy and I liked the stronger backbone.

Now post shave. I think I might have double dipped on this one. I didn't feel like getting my glasses to read the back of the bottles. Side note, this whole vision changing as you get older is really driving me up the wall. Going from needle sharp vision a couple years ago to giving in and ordering progressive lenses this last Saturday has me frustrated. Anyway, I thought I'd try this tonic I had from a BST package buy. -- I've been shying away from anything with alcohol after I found that when I stopped using my cologne that contains alcohol on my neck my razor burn has been better. Maybe it was because I used it after the witch hazel, but I got the sting and burn, but not the rawness after. -- So I need to get over my own preconceived ideas at this point. After I applied it I thought "old man smell". After all, it was always people older than me that used these types of aftershaves. I guess fairly enough with bi-focals on the way, I'm old man anyway. Not an unpleasant smell, just one that I never associated with myself. I'll have to find out what the wife thinks some day I'm home after I shave. After that I put on my lotion since that's been working to keep the skin nice and calm post shave. And then figured that the tonic was a post-shave like the witch hazel to treat the skin and I still needed a post-shave scent. So I used the clubman for the first time. I thought this would be even stronger than the tonic but it was a little more subdued actually with a hint of baby powder added. It was after this that I realized maybe I used two of the same type of product and will be going around smelling a bit stronger than I planned.

BTW, I just have to chuckle at myself in the mornings now. Set out all these products to use when just a couple months ago my entire shave routine included a bar of soap and that was it. Now as I'm reaching for the 3rd bottle of the morning I'm thinking "seriously?" and go on enjoying my process.

Parker 76R with Personna red, 2nd shave
Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Nothing new today other than the soap. I was right about the blade. That first shave tugging or scratching, or whatever it is, wore off and it was nice and smooth. So with my immense DE shaving experience, I can officially declare Personna reds and med preps the same performance wise. Probably give them another shot a month or two from now when I do have more experience.

Lavender & Peppermint was pretty strong right in the sample container so I was afraid of it being overpowering on the face but it wasn't. The soap exploded in the bowl, both in lather and scent. Probably two peas worth of soap ended up filling my Captain's Choice bowl. I've never had so much lather in there. Somehow putting the lather on my face didn't make the smell any more intense which was good. It would have been much too strong otherwise. I can see keeping this sample and pulling it out for a shave or two in the winter, but though the scent worked well, it's not one I would use on a consistent basis. I also reacted somewhat to this soap. Just at the end of my first pass my skin started to tingle. It never got worse than a tingle, but also for that reason I would probably avoid using it two days in a row.

The shave was good. I feel like if I just remembered what I learned every other time I'd have figured out how to deal with my neck already. Again what I relearned is there is about a 1"x2" patch of hair at the angle of my jaw that grows a different direction from everything else. BUT, that's not the area that gets raw. I'm sure what I've been doing it full passes at an angle just for that hair that makes the rest of my neck raw. What I need to do is shave my neck in the directions that doesn't make it raw and then just do a couple of clean up swipes in those other areas. I was taking the three pass shave too literally it seems.

Side note - I'm really loving the fresh smell of the St Kitts.

So this is the last fully relaxed spa experience shave for me for a while. My parents are arriving from Oregon today and the wife and I will be moving into one of the kids' rooms and be sharing the kids' bathroom. We had just finalized renovating our bathroom about a month ago and it's still new to me and enjoyable to use. They will be here until we leave for an Alaska cruise, then we're home for a couple of hectic days and then off again. So the next big adventure is seeing how practical DE shaving is in a small cruise room bathroom while everyone is needing to get ready...

Parker 76R with Personna red, 3rd shave
L&L Trismegistus
L'Occitane synthetic
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Happy Friday folks!!

Ok shave today. Thought I did pretty well with avoiding the shaving directions that cause me problems. Ended up with a little weeper that didn't last to the next pass. My goal today was just to not mess up. I'm very much a creature of routine, so doing this in another room with less space I knew was going to throw me off a lot, so simple and not pursing perfection was the rule.

I had forgotten was the scent of Trismegistus was supposed to be. Now reading it I see it's citrus based, but when I was using it, I couldn't place the scent but did enjoy it. L&L After the Rain is one few (yet growing number) of soaps I have in a full tub, and the first I ever used so I have a soft spot for L&L but until now haven't tried any of their others. Once I get through all the samples I've accumulated I'll have to go back and decide on one or two citrus to buy.

Couple of personal things yesterday. Parents showed up from Oregon and surprised us in their new Tesla. We see them all over the place where we live, but I've never ridden in one. Pretty sweet! Sure got me thinking. The other is I work with a lady who is heavily into archery. She helps her club lead an outreach twice a month that costs $5 and you get to use their equipment and get instruction. I've been twice and decided to get my own stuff so I could go to the range any time I want. Our oldest, my dad and I met my friend and her partner at the local shop so they could help us get outfitted. Got the complete set-up for myself and a set-up the kids can share until we know which if any of them stays interested enough to have their own. My wife is supportive, but I know she's thinking "oh good, yet ANOTHER hobby to spend money on". I know she wants to visit Louis Vuitton when we're in Paris, so I should probably just keep my mouth shut if she veers that direction.

Q with Personna med, 1st shave
Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh
Pure Badger
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Zoologist Beaver

I was surprised how haphazard this shave was. Wanted to experiment with the Q Shave more. Started on 5, then 3, and last pass on 2. I think the 5 was too aggressive, especially for my neck. I ended up with a little nick that I didn't feel. But the whole shave wasn't smooth at all. Hoping for a reset tomorrow.

Loved the sandalwood & myrrh soap. Might put this one on the by list, but I need to try it a few more times. I realized I don't think I have enough experience to know when shaving issues might be caused by last of slickness in the soap. Thinking many people do use Sudsy Soapery, so I'm skeptical my poor shave was due to that.

nice read Dave and if the razor stalls, skips or feels tuggy and all other things are good its is probably over or under hydration of the soap, lack of lather, etc. Load the soap like you stole it

nice read Dave and if the razor stalls, skips or feels tuggy and all other things are good its is probably over or under hydration of the soap, lack of lather, etc. Load the soap like you stole it
Something for me to experiment with. It is likely I lather them on the dry side. Being concerned about getting them too wet, I tend to add water in stages of 5 drops. I was more liberal today and saw it was fine.

Q with Personna med, 2nd shave
Mike's Bay Rum
Pure Badger
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Zoologist Panda

Well better than yesterday. I don't know why I thought pushing the Q Shave to more aggressive was a good idea. I guess maybe thought removing more hair on the first pass would make the following ones easier. Wrong. Today I set it in on 3-2-2 and things went better. Little more remaining hair on the neck, but decided not to chase it with clean ups. Thinking I might just stick to the Parker until summer travels and missing routine is over.

Mike's Bay Rum I enjoyed. Added water more in little puddles instead of drops and it handled that no problem. I'll play with adding more water than I think I need for a while. Going to dig into my Stirling samples for the next couple of days.

Today took my parents, wife and 2/3 of the kids to the archery range for their outreach program. Good fun that everyone enjoyed. Shooting is like shaving, gotta get a few of the basics down in order to be able to concentrate on others.

Love shooting sports Dave and archery is one of them that I used to do with regularity but have not in a good long while. May need to take the targets out of the barn and my bow our of the closet soon myself. Good bread and glad you got to spend some quality time building memories with your kids!

Parker 76R with Personna med prep, 3rd shave
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Pure Badger
Witch hazel
Nivea post shave balm
Tommy Bahama St Kitts

Decided most likely I'll stick with the Parker for a while. It has a nice familiar feeling. I've been holding off on trying a soap with menthol in it since I seem to have pretty sensitive skin and figured I'd be risking a reaction. Sure enough, shortly after applying it I started getting a tingling. So I shaved faster than normal to minimize the skin exposure. My skin wasn't red so I'm not sure if the tingling is just what everyone feels with menthol, but I'll avoid it because worrying about my skin turning red makes it not enjoyable.

So much to catch up on. Great journal, Dave. Personally, I think your significant other is a saint. London . . . pretty sure that's a place you will sync with. But your throwing in with these C.E.C. Operatives does trouble me some. Did you ever see 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' (either version)? They will suck you in, dude. The best shave is the goal, not endless consumption. Just sayin'.

So much to catch up on. Great journal, Dave. Personally, I think your significant other is a saint. London . . . pretty sure that's a place you will sync with. But your throwing in with these C.E.C. Operatives does trouble me some. Did you ever see 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' (either version)? They will suck you in, dude. The best shave is the goal, not endless consumption. Just sayin'.
LOL! We'll see where I land once all the newness wears off. I still want to try other razors just to see if something performs better than what I started with, but a little hesitant since there is more expense to experimenting there. And blades, I have 100 of personna and fleathers, so I'll mostly stick with those. But still have some from a trial pack to test from time to time. But soaps! There are sooooo many companies, and scents..... need.... more.....

So much to catch up on. Great journal, Dave. Personally, I think your significant other is a saint. London . . . pretty sure that's a place you will sync with. But your throwing in with these C.E.C. Operatives does trouble me some. Did you ever see 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' (either version)? They will suck you in, dude. The best shave is the goal, not endless consumption. Just sayin'.[/QUO

Dave Don't listen to the Haters, and Blasphemers, it has nothing to do with consumption, but with empowerment to enjoy a zen , spa time for yourself, it is not just shaving it is an experience that deserves to be the best. If your shave it the best, your will feel the best, and project that. A "goal" is two points.. Win the game, LOL

Top Bottom