What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

First GRUME for me. I hope I’m doing this right. The one thing I have no doubts on is no purchases or trolling for freebies. I shouldn’t have too much of an issue. I haven’t purchased something I actually “needed” in over 2 years. My apologies for my crappy SOTD pictures.

Head shave and beard trim only.

Leaf w/Wizamet SI - head shave
Supply co Single Edge 2.0 w/Schick “Chick” - neck and beard edging
PAA Blackbot CK-6 soap
PAA Blackbot AS
Thayers unscented witch hazel
PAA Atomic Rocket brush
proxy.php

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Off to a hot start this month! If I have this razor why would I ever need another? (can be applied to the straight or the blackland vector.)
View attachment 1176675
That's a handsome brush. Samhain... the pumpkin is not native to Ireland... it's an American crop. The original jack-o-lanterns were carved out of turnips. Here's one from the late C19 actually housed in the National Museum of Ireland. Much scarier than a pumpkin.
jack.jpg

That's a handsome brush. Samhain... the pumpkin is not native to Ireland... it's an American crop. The original jack-o-lanterns were carved out of turnips. Here's one from the late C19 actually housed in the National Museum of Ireland. Much scarier than a pumpkin.
View attachment 1176681

Took me a minute to catch the reference but gave me a grin when my brain finally shifted into gear.

View attachment 1176681
I agree! That is much scarier than a pumpkin. The brush is "spyro" turned by John Williams at his grizzly bay shop. The knot is a 26mm "fanchurian" (also coined by John). A lovely combination.

I have a quick question on GRUME rules. After reading the rules I take it that we can use anything that’s already in our hoard. Just no new acquisitions except for special exceptions spelled out in the rules.

September GRUME: an epic fail for me

October GRUME: I passed!

November GRUME: I will not be joining.
I went to restock and ordered too much. It started out as few "grey area" items, but then it turned into many many grey area items. Ironically, I did not order the two true restock items I need....​

Good luck to those in the November GRUME! Catch you in the December GRUME!

I have a quick question on GRUME rules. After reading the rules I take it that we can use anything that’s already in our hoard. Just no new acquisitions except for special exceptions spelled out in the rules.
That's the gist of it, if you own it now you're welcome to use it month long.

Well I almost blew it day one! Mindlessly I was thinking I needed a few things like a cheap strop and some CrOx and ordered them from Jeff Bezos. I immediately remembered it was November 1 and cancelled the order. For penance, I returned several things I purchased a coupe of weeks ago that I hadn’t opened or used yet. While I don’t know the officicial rules, I think I’m still in.

Tomorrow’s shave:

Leaf w/Wizamet SI (20) - head shave
Supply co Single Edge 2.0 w/Schick “Chick” (3) - neck and beard edging
RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush
Proraso Green shaving cream
Proraso Green AS
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

My usual Captain’s Choice copper and SB lather bowls.

proxy.php

I had a gleaming clean basin, with the chrome-work polished, thanks to, er, me. A "Sunday" shave.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar again
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #5, GC.68, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

That was a relaxing BBS. The "lively" new Astra SP effect (sharper than you need, less smooth than you might like) was a lot less obvious, running it in with the .68.

Still in.

- Prep: Warm Water
- Pre: Proraso Green preshave cream
- Brush: Simpson’s Special Best Badger
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 5)
- Blade: Personna (1)
- Soap: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
- Aftershave: L’Oréal Men Expert
- Post Shave: Ice water rinse and Hyaluronic Acid

Great nighttime shave with a weekend’s growth.

Personna Israeli Reds and the 6S are a match made in shaving heaven. Just a great combo. Also, I thought I was having a reaction to C&CC but the last few shaves with it have been great. Weird But I am happy as I love the scent.

I have the little Special brush in Best and Pure and they haven‘t shed a single bristle since I bought them earlier in the year. Excellent introduction to Simpsons Badger for well under $50.

Adding Doti B:

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD
13) chromedometone
14) Contact_vs_Feedback
15) Kyle89
16) ‘Bout Time
17) Flintstone65
17.5) Doti B
18) ajduplessis
19) Tomo
20) henrickd

Welcome to those who are new to the GRUME!

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (7)
  • Tabac!
  • Yaqi 24mm badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
After a month of using OC razors, I was really looking forward to getting back to the Rockwell 6S. It did not disappoint! An easy shave with no fuss and quite a nice result. If I had one criticism of the razor, it's that trimming/edging the sideburns is difficult because of the lack of blade exposure, but I guess I'll just have to keep an OC around for that little chore. :D

Top Bottom