What's new

NOS razors. Do you open them?

I suspect I know the answer to this, but thought I'd see what people say. Indirectly related to another recent thread.

Say that you've bought a NOS razor in unopened original packaging that shows the razor, like a blister pack. Would you take it out of the package to use it, or would you leave it permanently unopened to display it? What have you done in the past?

When I looked for a Schick Krona late last month I had a chance to buy an unopened one, but eventually went with good quality used for less money. I would have opened the NOS one, though.

I would open it. I can't spend the money that NOS products usually command and not get my money's worth from them.

I'm not a collector, I buy razors for shaving my face. If I spring for something NOS, I'll be opening it up and using it.

No. NOS razors are exceedingly hard to find, I wouldn't consider using one. The only NOS piece I have is my birthyear razor. I am still looking for an opened one in any condition to use. That one is just to look at :)

When I first started I may have set it aside, but I now realize these things were meant to be used. Open 'em up and enjoy. :thumbup1:

The only reason I spend the extra $'s for NOS is not to worry about germs and viruses. If I buy it I will shave with it!

that is not completely true... germs are everywhere and one can make a vintage razor that has been sitting in the toilet for years to be more clean and germ free than any NOS razor.

No. NOS razors are exceedingly hard to find, I wouldn't consider using one. The only NOS piece I have is my birthyear razor. I am still looking for an opened one in any condition to use. That one is just to look at :)

This.
I'm not a collector, but I have 4 different model NOS razors, that I got for good prices, still sealed in case I change my mind. If I decide not to collect, I will try to move them on to a collector. Previously used versions are easy enough to obtain.

- Peter

I am not a collector, so any razor I own I would intend on using. However, I can't see myself paying the high dollar value that NOS usually brings.

Not a chance.

Id sell that NOS razor, buy a very nice example of the same razor in the BST and then buy a few more with the change.

Theres no excuse for opening a NOS razos - you can sell them for $$$ in the BST to people who collect them.

I don't own any NOS so I can't answer the question. if I only had one then I probably woudn't open it. if I had doubles I would open and use one and keep the other for display

Someday I hope to be able to truly answer that question.

If it was the later-model Tech like from the thread where the gent found some stock in his local drugstore, I imagine I would open it and use it.

Fatboy or Red Tip? Not on your life :eek:

This.
I'm not a collector, but I have 4 different model NOS razors, that I got for good prices, still sealed in case I change my mind. If I decide not to collect, I will try to move them on to a collector. Previously used versions are easy enough to obtain.

- Peter

Not a chance.

Id sell that NOS razor, buy a very nice example of the same razor in the BST and then buy a few more with the change.

Theres no excuse for opening a NOS razos - you can sell them for $$$ in the BST to people who collect them.

Bravo Gents, there are many collectors how look for NOS razors. I collect myself and that is what I want for my collection. I can always find shavers to use.
My answer would be no, let it go to a collector after all, it is the collector who will have it to pass along to so that other may enjoy them. Heck I get doubles just to try them out.

I bought a NOS Personna injector and yes, I bought it to use, not to sit on a shelf. It shaves pretty nicely, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom