What's new

noob to GEM Razors

hey so used, DE, SE, AC and injectors and i think GEM is the only razor left apart from a straight or kamisori as already used a shavette

anyways want to know which GEM razors and razor blades are good?

whats considered to be mild, medium and aggressive in terms of razors and blades?

thanks

The PTFE blades are your best bet. As far as razors, I would start with a 1912 or a Feather Weight.

1912:
20200727_134847.jpg

Feather Weight:
20200816_154915.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+1 on Dave's recommendation - those two are good and on the milder side of the GEM family. More aggressive commonly available GEMs are the Micromatics, with the Micromatic Open Comb as the max.

One thing I had trouble with when I first tried the GEM SE was the shave angle is different than what I was used to with the DE. The first attempts weren't very successful and as I result I put them away until someone here tipped me to the difference. Keeping them just slightly raised above flat on your face works for me

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would recommend the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade made in the USA, better than most AC and some Schick blades I have found. They are very sharp with excellent longevity, smooth out nicely and are predictable + safest blade to handle IMO.
Depending on where you live they can be bought at Connaught shaving UK and are reasonably priced and the folks there are good to deal with IMO. Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive here in Northern Alberta Canada and so in the states it should arrive quicker because they have more flights coming into the USA but mail service has changed it the USA it seems about 5 years ago.
Lots of Americans I know buy from Connaught shaving UK and I think it has something to do with distribution rights some people control in the USA IMO. With strong US dollar it should be a bargain IMO.
Have some great shaves!

I would recommend the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade made in the USA, better than most AC and some Schick blades I have found. They are very sharp with excellent longevity, smooth out nicely and are predictable + safest blade to handle IMO.
Depending on where you live they can be bought at Connaught shaving UK and are reasonably priced and the folks there are good to deal with IMO. Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive here in Northern Alberta Canada and so in the states it should arrive quicker because they have more flights coming into the USA but mail service has changed it the USA it seems about 5 years ago.
Lots of Americans I know buy from Connaught shaving UK and I think it has something to do with distribution rights some people control in the USA IMO. With strong US dollar it should be a bargain IMO.
Have some great shaves!
im the uk so noworries there

how many shaves you get out of a GEM blade?

I get at least 6 out of mine. I find, after that, they either remain good for another 5 or 6 or go bad on the next. I couldn’t be bothered changing a blade in mid shave so I get rid of them after 6. Some blokes get 10-12. Some even more. Depends on your beard, the razor, your soap/cream and any number of other factors. Having said that they are good value. One thing which does not change is the greats shaves I get from all of my GEMs. Have fun. They are good.

Ron R

I have gotten 8 to 14 shaves out of first 5 blades so I average it to 10 shaves per blade and then tossed regardless and after 50 + blades later it works for myself, it also depends on the beard type also.
There is one fellow on B&B he always gets 20 shaves per blade. Compared to AC blades I get tops 6 shaves maximum and after that the blade is to tuggy regardless what brand of AC blades I use.
Gem is a superior blade for cost effectiveness and comfort has been my conclusion unless Gem starts making a weaker blade.
The first 2 shaves can be a little rough for some folks because of the keen sharp edge so I like to use a milder Gem razor like a Gem Feather weight or a Gem flying wing (AKA> MMBT, Micromatic guiding eye) or a even a Gem Junior bar lather catcher works very well to take advantage of the sharpness of the blade.
It is just as sharp as any Feather blade but lasts longer IMO so that indicates a better steel they use for their Gem blades.

Last edited:
I get at least 6 out of mine. I find, after that, they either remain good for another 5 or 6 or go bad on the next. I couldn’t be bothered changing a blade in mid shave so I get rid of them after 6. Some blokes get 10-12. Some even more. Depends on your beard, the razor, your soap/cream and any number of other factors. Having said that they are good value. One thing which does not change is the greats shaves I get from all of my GEMs. Have fun. They are good.
i have very coarse hair which grows super fast unfortunately lol

I have gotten 8 to 14 shaves out of first 5 blades so I average it to 10 shaves per blade and then tossed regardless and after 50 + blades later it works for myself, it also depends on the beard type also.
There is one fellow on B&B he always gets 20 shaves per blade. Compared to AC blades I get tops 6 shaves maximum and after that the blade is to tuggy regardless what brand of AC blades I use.
Gem is a superior blade for cost effectiveness and comfort has been my conclusion unless Gem starts making a weaker blade.
The first 2 shaves can be a little rough for some folks because of the keen sharp edge so I like to use a milder Gem razor like a Gem Feather weight or a Gem flying wing (AKA> MMBT, Micromatic guiding eye) or a even a Gem Junior bar lather catcher works very well to take advantage of the sharpness of the blade.
It is just as sharp as any Feather blade but lasts longer IMO so that indicates a better steel they use for their Gem blades.
are GEM blades thicker then AC/injector blades?

from i understand is that AC blades ar einjector blades but a bit wider and that injector blades are double the thcikness of DE blades? i could be wrong though

from i understand is that AC blades ar einjector blades but a bit wider and that injector blades are double the thcikness of DE blades? i could be wrong though
The GEM blades are more rigid. There is no flex to speak of. They have a spine which is about double the thickness of the main part of the blade.

Here are the blade thicknesses for a few of the Feather AC blades for comparison (taken from a Feather catalog):
Pro Soft Guard: 0.35 mm
Pro: 0.254 mm
Pro Light Blade: 0.254 mm
Pro Guard: 0.35 mm
Pro Super: 0.31 mm

Ted Pella injector blades are 0.25 mm (according to Maggard Razor's site)

Ron R

Gem blades are .009 or 9/1000 of a inch where AC blades are also .009 of inch and are 50mm wide and Schick injector blades are also .009 " wide but are 40mm wide off the top of my head. Gem blades are more rigid because they have more width or mass and are shorter in length + have a spline for added strength making them far superior in strength and longevity of use IMO.
Gem blades are just better, but marketing problems have changed things through time and bankruptcy and changing of ownership of ASR company's like Gem & Personna have changed marketing strategies but the brand name lives on.
The Japanese wanted a good system for barber shops to replace the straight razor and so they invented the AC line of blades & shavette razor to hold them that are now in a lot of SE safety razor systems(Feather AC still does not have a SE safety razor that I'm not aware of) . The AC line of blades are still a very practical blade for barber shops and when AIDS was killing people the Governments in the western world made laws stating that for ever new customer in a barber shop who wanted a shave the barber hand to have new blade installed for his customers health safety is what I understand took place (a good practical law IMO) that was embraced by barber shops around the world.

btw dont they do those 3d printed razors which take GEM razors?
Gem blades are .009 or 9/1000 of a inch where AC blades are also .009 of inch and are 50mm wide and Schick injector blades are also .009 " wide but are 40mm wide off the top of my head. Gem blades are more rigid because they have more width or mass and are shorter in length + have a spline for added strength making them far superior in strength and longevity of use IMO.
Gem blades are just better, but marketing problems have changed things through time and bankruptcy and changing of ownership of ASR company's like Gem & Personna have changed marketing strategies but the brand name lives on.
The Japanese wanted a good system for barber shops to replace the straight razor and so they invented the AC line of blades & shavette razor to hold them that are now in a lot of SE safety razor systems(Feather AC still does not have a SE safety razor that I'm not aware of) . The AC line of blades are still a very practical blade for barber shops and when AIDS was killing people the Governments in the western world made laws stating that for ever new customer in a barber shop who wanted a shave the barber hand to have new blade installed for his customers health safety is what I understand took place (a good practical law IMO) that was embraced by barber shops around the world.
how wide is the GEM compared to the injector and AC blade?

i assume its about the same wiidth as the injector razor?

Top Bottom