What's new

No more Voskods for me

I just got a pack of these free with an order so thanks for the heads up. This sounds exactly like my experience with Bic Chrome Platinum's..Ive only ever used them once & I will never use them again.

Reactions: Kix
I found a good deal on the V's on Amazon so I nabbed 100 a few months ago. My first go with it wasn't very pleasant as it was not smooth and seemed to tug. They kind of got relegated out of the Shave Den to auxiliary storage.

Fast forward a few months and I decided to give it another go, but I was going to test out corking the blade, something I've never done but from all I've read about Vs calming down after a few shaves seemed like a good idea. I had a very nice shave experience with it today in my Slim Adjustable set to 3. Did 3 passes with no tugging, and cranked it to 5 for the last pass on my neck. BBS.

I may never buy 100 again because I have blades that just work straight out of the tuck, but if I can get 4-5 shaves out of a corked V I'm not going to complain much about the ones I already have. They certainly did the job today with a minimum of fuss, and the corking procedure isn't that strenuous.

Reactions: Kix
Tried one in a slant open comb. First shave was bad. Maybe it's me. So second shave, pass #1 was just horrendous. Tugging and a cut or two. I'm thankful for 'sampler packs' . Nope; Done. Will pitch the one or two left. My personal test for sharpness: 'How easily and efficiently does it shave my most difficult areas to shave.'? For me, like many of us that would be around the lips and chin, that whole circle. You know the feeling immediately when intuitively you start doing tiny small stokes because you can feel the drag.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
100%!. Which is why I never trust razor reviews from guys with the full on 'never even touch the circle' beards.
My wife likes beards. I like to shave. A circle beard is a compromise for a happy marriage. During the pandemic, I got away with being clean-shaven. I used the excuse that it provides a better face seal for masks. Hey, whatever it takes, lol. Not everyone who wears a circle beard does so out of ineptness.

100%!. Which is why I never trust razor reviews from guys with the full on 'never even touch the circle' beards.
Fair enough. Best not to trust razor reviews from anybody, your face is yours alone.

I often feel deprived, like Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers above, that I seldom get to shave my lip or chin. If the LOTH leaves town for a week or more I might grab the opportunity for a full shave.

Voskhods? I have yet to hit a dud.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fair enough. Best not to trust razor reviews from anybody, your face is yours alone.

I often feel deprived, like Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers above, that I seldom get to shave my lip or chin. If the LOTH leaves town for a week or more I might grab the opportunity for a full shave.

Voskhods? I have yet to hit a dud.

John, I have no beard or mustache. I think you meant Rave @Raven Koenes whose wife likes for him to have some long whiskers.

We could get together to buy him a gold plated razor. Then he could be clean shaven. He'd also be very lonely I fear, so let's hold off.

I don't know I've ever used a Voskhod blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

John, I have no beard or mustache. I think you meant Rave @Raven Koenes whose wife likes for him to have some long whiskers.

We could get together to buy him a gold plated razor. Then he could be clean shaven. He'd also be very lonely I fear, so let's hold off.

I don't know I've ever used a Voskhod blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah, I have to watch which way the BOSC hat tilts! :letterk1:

I like the blades. But they used to be $9 on Amazon. Now they have doubled in price. No longer a great value. There are better blades for the money, like GSB's.

Fortunately, I have a nice supply. I wouldn't be buying them at their current prices.

Did a late night shave this evening. Prep was several rinsings, and a splash of Lectric Shave.

I selected my Parker Variant and a new Voskhod blade on a very aggressive setting. Cream was Proraso blue.

Two swipes and I was done with it. Horrible dragging tugginess. Very uncomfortable. Was this even intended to be a cutting implement?

Loaded an Astra SP into my Game Changer and proceeded to have a very nice, smooth shave. I have several tucks of Voskhod left, destined to be curios in an antique store 50 years from now.

I know...this is the part where somebody says that once you wear off the coating, it gets better. No thanks. A blade should work properly on Day One. I'm not messing with these things again.

I also find all Voskhods to be somewhat “tuggy” on the first shave but after this they seem to sharpen up nicely for the next shave or two. They will however still drag or “chatter” occasionally on more coarse hair on my lower chin and neck (regardless of how many shaves they’ve done) but this is consistent with most every blade I use.

The only other negative of voskhods for me is that they only seem to last for 2-3 shaves each, but at around £0.08 per blade this really isn’t an issue. Only the likes of Astra SP can last longer, up to 5/6 shaves with proper preparation and the right razor. I did have a Sputnik that lasted for over 10 uses but that was a one off.

Thanks,

R

Top Bottom