What's new

No idea what this is.

While cleaning out some nooks/crannies and odd spaces in my Grandparents house we came across a razor. We have no idea or knowledge about straight razors. Before we disposs of it I figured I would see what it was. I am NOT a photographer so if wanted I will have the Missus (who is) take more pictures.
20221213_121128.jpg
20221213_120956.jpg
20221213_120933.jpg
20221213_120920.jpg
20221213_120859.jpg
20221213_120848.jpg

Thanks for any info
Jay

Looks like a nice German razor with a bit of scale damage, and a blade in quite good shape except for one suspicious black rust-looking streak at the toe on one side.

Should clean up nicely and shave well, without inordinate effort. It would be a tragedy to just toss it.

An F. Koeller magna, here's a little detail from strazors.com PDF catalog. Should be a good blade, the bevel apparent in your pictures indicates someone cared and honed it properly at some point. The toe point black rust is suspicious but I think it's just the picture.

Don't throw that away, many would be happy to clean it up for you as an heirloom if you pay them, or for themselves if you want rid of it.

Screenshot_20221213-125256.png

On an aside, stasharp was apparently Kastor made for F. Koeller, distributed by Sears and Roebuck from 20s through 40s, and this blade appears very similar, so I'd bet it's a Kastor blade. Here's a stasharp for example, looks like identical etching on the face, and both are 3 pin scales
Screenshot_20221213-131738.png

It's not junk, nor is it a valuable museum piece. However, it may be of great sentimental value to you or someone else in the family. I would be thrilled to shave with my dad's or grandfather's razor - but that is not in the cards for me.
This. Generic German razors were of good quality, but still rather run of the mill. Even today. It does appear to be in good enough shape that it will restore without much effort. Definitely don't toss it. It's not particularly valuable, so selling it on ebay would net not a whole lot of money after shipping and fees. But... it is a razor your Grandfather used and it's in serviceable shape. Get someone to clean it up and learn the art of SR shaving. Or don't, but still keep it. Maybe on display somehow.

Top Bottom