What's new

NINTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2018 Edition

OBIF Derby Extra shave #13. Loaded in a '56 Flare Tip. Cella lathered with a Plisson La Maison du Barbier Synthetic with faux ivory handle. Finished with Proraso Green Splash and an application of Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Cooling After Shave Balm. Fragrance was Tabac Eau de Cologne. A perfect shave, so the blade is still performing very well. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
OBIF Derby Extra shave #13. Loaded in a '56 Flare Tip. Cella lathered with a Plisson La Maison du Barbier Synthetic with faux ivory handle. Finished with Proraso Green Splash and an application of Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Cooling After Shave Balm. Fragrance was Tabac Eau de Cologne. A perfect shave, so the blade is still performing very well. :)

13 in a flare tip, nice.

I'm debating Derby Extra as my blade for the FFFMM. I've never tried one past 6 shaves.

Personna Platinum in Old Type
Shave #25
Haslinger Schafmilch face lathered with Omega 10005
Witch hazel and Speick AS

Another fine shave with this dulling blade. It still cuts the stubble, and I have no complaints about the end result.
There will be no shave #29 with this blade, though.

Feb 25
proxy.php

Alumigoose v1 / Schick Proline (27)
Estoril Shave Cream
Fine Fresh Vetiver / Creed Original Vetiver

OBIF SOTD

Blade:
Bolzano (25) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Tortoise
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Brush: Tortoise S-Brush
ASL: Proraso Red [Sandalwood]
upload_2018-2-26_3-23-56.png
:001_smile

Shave #12 on the books for me.
Flipped the blade, and see no reason to put it into a more efficient razor.
Zero irritation, nicks, or weepers. Stubble is returning more quickly than normal, but ,not enough to shave every day.
I've got a couple more left, and I really want to keep this combination to see what a fresh Nacet will do.

OBIF Shave #19
1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable (Delta Echo)
Gillette Silver Blue (7)(After Killing a GSB-12)
Razorock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic
Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman
Proraso Green

• Gillette Fatboy, set to 4 w/ NOS Wilkinson Sword Classic (28)
  • Omega 10098 boar brush
  • Tabac, bowl lathered
  • Man Cave Post Shave Balm
Blade is performing admirably, providing close, comfortable shaves. There is a little more stubble at the 12 hour mark than I might have with a new blade, but not significantly so. When I close out the month with the Wilkinson Sword Classic the question will be, do I continue shaving with it?

Shave #26. Not a bad shave today, maybe I'll get more than 28. Or maybe not, depending!
Williams, a '41 Aristocrat, and a very cheap badger brush with a Rainbow. Doesn't get much cheaper than this!

February 26th
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: Feather ProGuard (26)
Soap/cream: Honeybee Soaps Mountain Meadow
Brush: Maggard's Synthetic
Aftershave1: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave2: Capt Choice Mystery Scent

IMG_20180225_200041.jpg

Schick Proline - Shave 14

schick.jpg

So we passed the critical point - my objective for almost a year has been to find the razor/blade combination that (among other requirements) would consistently give me 12 shaves (two weeks) from a blade, and this was the second time I got to twelve with this Proline/SE1 combo so far.

On shave 12, though, I seemed to feel that - while there was no tugging - I could begin to feel myself pushing the blade through the whiskers - and I began to get some alum/AS burn for the first time since shave 1. I have to say though, that this 14th shave was smooth and comfortable.

I hand strop and flip the blade after every shave. I have been steadily consuming all of my Ghost Town Barber samples this past week and more.

OBiF Shave #24 SuperMax Tiger SP blade (8/8/8), Merkur 20C, Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint!

To everyone who's still on their first blade, YOU ARE AMAZING!! This is my 3rd blade and it gave out this morning. Still, 24 shaves from 3 blades is very good for me. I'm amazed at the mileage some are getting from these blades!!

OBIF SOTD

Blade:
Bolzano (26) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Tortoise
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Brush: Tortoise S-Brush
ASL: Proraso Red [Sandalwood]
upload_2018-2-27_0-37-6.png
:001_smile

Personna Platinum in Old Type
Shave #26
Haslinger Schafmilch face lathered with Omega mixed midget
Witch hazel and Speick AS

Great shave this morning.

Shave 13 on the Nacet, nothing but respect for the fellas who take them to 20+.
Not uncomfortable, but taking more effort. No nicks, but the blade is stalling, it's starting to dull noticeably on 36 hour growth.
I'll go to 14 on Wednesday morning and consider it done; that's 3-1/2 times longer than my norm, and longer than two Dorco 300s last year.

ProGuard (21,22)

This blade is like a dutiful Japanese Civil Servant. Not hurting anyone, but barely doing his job and just waiting to retire...

Not too harsh, but lots of stubble left in the tricky spots.

Top Bottom