What's new

NINTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2018 Edition

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I'm in with a Premium Plus. Wait, that’s a cracker. How will I last a month with a cracker?

Personna Platinum, I mean.

Right now I'm thinking about continuing with the NOS Wilkinson Sword Classic (made in England) I have in a Merkur Furtur through February. But I have plenty of time to change my mind...a couple of times.

I'm in. Lord Rainbow. Will probably use a variety of razors just to keep it interesting, starting with a German copy of an OLD.

I want to use a Feather Artist Club blade in my straight handled Feather Artist Club SS razor. I've been using this since Christmas and really enjoy it. Problem is that I haven't been able to get many shaves from a blade. I've pushed them to eight so far but they seem past their prime. My technique is certainly not refined yet, but that makes it more of a challenge. I'll see whether I take this path by the end of the month.

I am in with the GSB and Merkur Progress combination. I thought about the Derby Extra and know that will be a 2 blade month but I am confident the GSB will comfortably last the month.

I am in. I would like to use a shavette. Is it ok to use both halves? Then it would still be one blade for the month.
I would use my personal favorite blade the "Super Max Super Platinum Tiger" blades. They have good longevity.
I will pair this with my Fendrihan stainless shavette.

I'm in. I'm already in the 2018 Sabbatical as well as the "3017 a puck of Williams" starting in February, so a whole month on a new Derby Extra Stainless (pre-2016 batch) seems right. I'll load it into my gold '46-'50 ball end Tech and stick with that razor for the whole month as well. A pretty thrifty month of shaves if you ask me.

I am in. I would like to use a shavette. Is it ok to use both halves? Then it would still be one blade for the month.
I would use my personal favorite blade the "Super Max Super Platinum Tiger" blades. They have good longevity.
I think you are good. I'll be using both edges of my blade after all.

Hi,

I am going to use a Schick Type C1 Open Comb repeater razor with a Chinese made, Schick branded injector blade.

Stan

Huzzah! Great choices! I will be using my ATT SE1 for the first time, but I probably won't pick the blade til the last minute.

I'm in, too, with the S-M SP Tigers!! (This will be my first attempt at a Month Challenge!!)

I'm in. Use a Kami, straight, Feather or 2 blade commerical.....?

I'm still new to straight of western or Japanese origin. Hmmmm

Oll check with friends and decide.

Top Bottom