What's new

NewBlader's new shaver's shaving journal

I've noticed improvements too since switching. Now if I can just get the ATG pass on the left side o the neck I'll be golden.

Again in a hurry today, again the phone kept ringing while I'm trying to shave, again way too much going on. I still got a good shave but I need to get calmer in my life. I'm happy to be straight shaving.

A really great shave today. I'm adding more guillotine action on the ATG pass, and it helps a lot! And my overall shave is going pretty fast.

I was traveling today and shaved in a different bathroom for the first time. I've known for a while that my bathroom has bad lighting. I'm moving soon and will re-do the new bathroom with excellent lighting. Anyway, having more light allows me to see a lot more what's going on. One thing I realize is I am getting what I call micro-nicks. I think I need to somehow use less pressure or be more careful or something. My skin should be left smooth but there should be no micro-nicks. I'm not getting razor-burn or the over-shaved feeling I got at first, but still I want to be gentle to my skin.

I did two WTG passes only today. Result: not as smooth of a shave but less irritation. I guess it's equivalent to my Fusion shaves of previous days.

I think I'm going to go to WTG only for a week or more. I want to let my old Fusion irritations recover fully, and WTG does put less stress on the skin. Beyond that, I think that by limiting myself to WTG only, it will force me to improve my WTG passes. As someone (forget who) said, WTG is the foundation of a good shave, so the more I can improve them, the less work I'll have to do ATG, so the less irritation I'll have. That's my theory at least!

I'm still doing WTG only. It works ok, but obviously not as smooth as doing ATG. I think it will get me to improve my technique. It will also improving my honing skills because I'll have a better way to compare honing quality.

It's been a very stressful, and I must say unpleasant, week for me. Fortunately it's all coming to an end and will be much better next week and beyond. Anyway, today I did WTG only again, and I think this is a good way to improve my technique. It works pretty well, too. Maybe WTG is all I need for normal usage.

I'm still doing this. I'm not getting such smooth shaves but it's absolutely irritation free and it's improving my technique. Still having some very stressful days.

I'm still doing this. I'm not getting such smooth shaves but it's absolutely irritation free and it's improving my technique. Still having some very stressful days.

too bad about the stress, but the shave sounds like a dulling blade.. a nice sharp blade will leave a WTG looking pretty nice.

the shave sounds like a dulling blade.. a nice sharp blade will leave a WTG looking pretty nice.

Yeah, the other advantage of doing WTG only is it's going to give me a way to evaluate how successful I am in my honing attempts, which I'm going to do shortly. I'll be able to feel quickly whether my honing effort helps or not.

Global_dev, you're right, the blade was definitely dull. I switched to a different blade with a fresher hone and it worked much better.

That's good! That means it's an opportunity for me to try to hone the dull one and I'll have a reference point and a good idea of what it should feel like.

I did get quite a good shave with absolutely no irritation this time. BBS? No, but very good, and the alcohol AS had only a light tingle. If I can get shaves like this repeatably and quickly it will be fantastic.

it's strange, more often than not, you hear about lots of razor burn/irritation/pulling with a dull blade that probably causes people to use more pressure, especially from new shavers with poor5 technique.

i noticed that i would get DFS decent shaves with little to no irritation from edges not sharp enough only after 3 passes, which made me think my technique was getting better, when in fact it was, but not at the rate i supposed, 'cause as soon as grabbed a sharp enough straight, i realized my pressure was too much in the previous shaves for the sharp edge. hopefully that makes sense..

Yeah I'm sure that when I started I was using too much pressure, because I didn't know how to get it to cut hair. And the more dull the blade gets the more pressure is used. The learning curve for straights is steep because there are so many variables and it takes a while (100 shaves usually?) to start to figure out how to separate the variables and adjust them properly. I'm definitely making progress on it.

Still focusing on WTG. Another totally irritation-free and close shave today. I wish I had known about straight razors 20 years ago and I regret ever picking up a Fusion.

I had one day where I was in a hurry and did a fast shave with a DE. Mistake! It was a Feather blade. It's painful and doesn't give me a good shave. I know Feather blades have a reputation of being almost too sharp. They certainly are for me.

Otherwise, my focus on WTG is helping and I continue to get great shaves from this! I'm glad B&B is back so I can keep posting in my shaving journal here. It will only go to 100; after that it is finished.

New Blader: Enjoy your journal entries. Your'e doing well. Took me many months to get to where I am at now. Most important to stay focused on your shave, irregardless of what 's going on elsewhere. Good luck.

It's not cutting as it used to. Shave is getting worse, with more irritation. That means it's time for me to practice my honing skills, such as they are...

NewBlader, for what it's worth thanks for the journal. I am just starting out (4 shaves) and it is helpful to read about your journey. Hopefully it is helping with whatever daily stresses you are dealing with! I know for me it is relaxing already even though my shaves are, well like I have only used a straight 4 times :)

Top Bottom