What's new

NewBlader's new shaver's shaving journal

It's nice to read other new (relatively speaking) straight razor users perspectives. From one newb to a...more elevated newb?...thank you for sharing! :)

Thanks Tak. I'm glad if I provide a bit of inspiration. I'm about five weeks in and the main thing I know at this point is that it takes persistence, and persistence pays off. And, don't get frustrated and don't push it and expect bad shaves for a while.

I had #39 today. It's Sunday so I had more time. Again, got a great shave, even better than yesterday! I did get a couple of minor nicks but they disappeared quickly. I remembered which areas I missed on my ATG yesterday, and (mostly) got them today, and ended up really really smooth. It was also a comfortable shave, did not get the over-shaved feeling and not too much alcohol burn.

My shave today was above and beyond what I need for a normal day at work. And I didn't spend so long on it. I used my stainless DOVO, which I now really like. Maybe it has a fresher hone, or it's a harder blade, or my technique is improving, or all of the above. I did order another stainless DOVO, and will donate my carbon DOVO after I get it dull from shaving. I'm also buying a new Revisor, so I'll have two stainless DOVOs and one Revisor, and that's it!

In short, this thing works! It's a great shaving system, just takes some practice. I hope that my Fusion-caused bumps will eventually recover now that I've canned the Fusions.

I had two very close shaves this weekend so my skin was feeling a bit sensitive or over-shaved today. I also was in a hurry so I took only ten minutes to shave. The result was actually an acceptable shave. If I had taken another five minutes I could have done some more ATG and gotten even smoother, but I did want to give my skin some recovery.

Ten minutes is good! Let's see how my shaving is a month from now. Also I will soon be trying out a new 6/8 razor, let's see when it arrives.

I don't know where you start your clock from but 10 minutes seems fast to me. I've been straight-shaving for about 2 months and I can't get under 30 minutes. I still take it slow and easy I guess. If I just did a WTG pass I could be done in about 10 minutes after I pick up the razor. It takes a while to whip up lather before that, and stropping takes a while too.. Add XTG/ATG passes at the end and I can take quite a bit of time. The "soul patch" and moustache areas are the most time-intensive for me now.

Don't get me wrong - I believe that good hardware helps. Working with my Dovo "Best Quality" takes a lot less effort than most of my vintage razors. I take my time with straight shaves; if I don't have time I just use the cart. I still use my shaving soap though. It is MUCH better on my face:biggrin1:

I don't know where you start your clock from but 10 minutes seems fast to me.

Unlike most people here, my prep time is nearly zero. I splash water on my face and then rub on some shaving cream. It takes me all of 30 seconds to get ready to shave. I assume that many others here spend ten minutes on brushes and lather and so on. My post-shave time is also very brief: I splash on some Bay Rum and I'm done.

I just had shave #41, another fast and good shave.

I just read your thread and think I understand how you got to the level you are at now. Very nice.

I think I have a different approach to shaving than you but that's the beauty of straight-shaving isn't it? It's about personal preference. When I shave "the night before" my shaves are as close as my cart-shaves the morning of a work-day, so I'm fine with that. I'm in total agreement with your 30-minute limit - much past that and I usually cut more than hair - ouch!

Have you "donated" that carbon Dovo yet? I was thinking about getting a second Dovo "Best Quality" from The Superior Shave but if you want your razor to get used keep me in mind. When I use a razor that has a questionable edge I usually have my Dovo "in reserve" in case the questionable one doesn't "cut it". :lol:

The best to you man!

Have you "donated" that carbon Dovo yet? I was thinking about getting a second Dovo "Best Quality" from The Superior Shave but if you want your razor to get used keep me in mind. When I use a razor that has a questionable edge I usually have my Dovo "in reserve" in case the questionable one doesn't "cut it".

Haven't donated it yet but I will! It's being honed now. I'll probably shave with it and practice honing some on it, and then donate it. That means the lucky winner will get an almost-new DOVO, but it will need honing. That will probably be in a few weeks or a month.

It has a retail value of about $80 to $100, so I'm thinking of asking for a donation ($20 or up) to my favorite charity as "payment". The charity is the Electronic Frontiers Foundation. You may not have heard of them, but without their work, this forum would not exist because there would be no forum software and it would be legally impossible to have an open forum also.

I went back to a DE today. I was in a hurry and also I wanted to go back to a reference point. For me, I've been using Fusions (etc) for many years, never happy with it. Somehow, I don't know why, but I found this forum and tried a Merkur DE. I tried with Merkur blades and then Feathers. It seemed more capable than Fusions but these blades were too harsh. Then I tried Israeli Personnas and they were immediately fantastic. No irritation, it just destroys the hair and doesn't touch the skin. Wow!

Then, I guess due to the influence of this forum, I thought I would try a straight, so I did. Obviously the learn curve is steep and the first month of shaving is not good.

So today I picked up the DE again and put in a fresh blade. The result: as always with a DE, a very fast, smooth, comfortable shave. None of the over-shaved feeling I get with straights. I didn't do much ATG shaving, but the result is still quite smooth.

I will continue with straights to see if I can regularly get to the level I'm at with DE. For me, the problem with straight shaving right now is I need to do more passes and it gives me the over-shaved feeling. I think some of it has to do with blade honing; I know I'm dulling the blade quickly. I've ordered a 12k Naniwa to see what I can do with that.

I'll see how it is when I reach 100 straight shaves! On the way there I will try to take occasional shaves with a DE just for reference and to give my skin some time to recover from the harsher feeling I get with straights.

If I can ever get to the point where a straight cuts hair the way a DE does it will be amazing. That's my barrier right now with the straight: it takes more passes to cut hair and more passes = more irritation. My skin feels more comfortable today than it does whenever I have a straight shave. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've had similar issues with "over-shaving" too. I believe that a very light touch and paying very close attention to blade angle are extremely important. ATG passes require a lower "less aggressive" angle than WTG passes. Otherwise the facial hair tends to drive the blade into the skin.

I've heard of ***. I have supported them in the past. Greed may be good, but you can take a good thing too far.

Feel free to PM me when/if you want to work something out :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I was in a hurry again this AM and shaved DE. Again, I got a good shave, quickly, but I realize: I do shave more spots with a straight than with a DE because I'm paying more attention. That's how I get over-shaved with the straight. I'm too aware and try to go too perfect. I need to relax on it some, shave less, let the improvements come more slowly.

And I need a sharp blade. I realize now that honing is very important to all this.

True. But, just as you have "over-shaved", I believe you can over-hone. I have only had my razors professionally honed once per each. I have 2 vintages that I am trying my hand at.

I have heard people say that they hone their razors once a month - I don't know why you would need to. If you are stropping linen AND leather correctly wouldn't that keep the edge sharp? I still get good shaves from my professionally-honed razors.

Just had shave #42 today. This time with my new DOVO stainless with Ebenholz (ebony) scales, professionally honed. It was a great shave! Took less than twenty minutes, very smooth. I got a nick in a spot where I'm still recovering from Fusion Abuse, but in general, those areas are starting (slowly) to recover since I stopped using Fusions two months ago.

I would say this was my smoothest shave ever. It is coming together.

My secret today was I discovered the utility of a puff of air. I'm not sure why, but I puffed out my cheek to elevate a "hollow" area, which incidentally has hairs that are hard to shave and also is the location of Fusion-induced bumps. That got those areas smooth. I also was able to use a puff of air (the same air? not sure) to elevate the corner of my 'stache area, another area where the hairs lay extremely flat and are untouched by WTG shaving. Well, with a puff of air under the 'stache-corners, those hairs stick up and can be sliced off.

It probably would look funny to someone watching but it's fun to make some faces in the morning, and no one can laugh at me while I'm shaving with a straight razor!

This whole straight shaving thing is going from "how can I possibly shave with this" to "hey I can shave with this" to being a practical daily thing to do.

I've had similar issues with "over-shaving" too. I believe that a very light touch and paying very close attention to blade angle are extremely important. ATG passes require a lower "less aggressive" angle than WTG passes. Otherwise the facial hair tends to drive the blade into the skin.

I'm trying all those things. I think it will take experience to get the right touch. It feels better today. A well-honed blade also seems to make a difference.

I've heard of ***. I have supported them in the past. Greed may be good, but you can take a good thing too far.

Yes, if it weren't for them, there would be software patents that would make this forum's open source software impossible. There would also be ID requirements that would mean no one would sign up for open forums like this. Today they are fighting for email privacy and many other issues. They are truly non-partisan, fighting for freedom and privacy.

Feel free to PM me when/if you want to work something out :biggrin1:

Will do! It's being honed now, will probably shave with it for a month and then send it to you!

Edited later in the day: my skin feels good. This is the first straight shave I've had where my skin has felt good for the whole day, not over-shaved or irritated. These straight razors can work quite well! 42 shaves in is a fair amount of experience. Added up, it's about 24 continuous hours of shaving, which is quite a bit of time. And I know it can only get better from here.

Last edited:
Wow, I just had an evening shave today before going out. I took 25 minutes (longer than my normal morning shave but half the time I was spending a couple weeks ago).

Gents, this thing works. I keep saying "best shave I've ever had" and it's true every time. I now understand why guys here say that straights, once you learn how to use them, will give you the smoothest and most comfortable shave you'll ever have. It's true. And I'm still a beginner.

I'm not saying it was a perfect shave. Some spots were still missed in the ATG action. In particular, some spots on the jawline and corner of the 'stache. I'm able to get them pretty easily but I also miss them pretty easily. I could have gone back after my shave was done and got those areas, but my new rule is to watch the clock (don't shave too long) and when my shave is done, it's done and that's the shave I have. The prevents over-shaving.

Even if I did miss some small spots, it's still great compared to anything in my previous life as a Fusion shaver. Maybe it's better than my best DE shave, not sure.

It's really cutting for me. I do a couple of WTG passes, with some scything action in them. Then I go straight to ATG. It works. My cheeks are so smooth. Irritation was moderate, alcohol burn was moderate, and just a minor nick or two in spots where I have bumps from years of Fusion abuse.

Speaking of Fusion abuse, the areas of my skin that do have bumps from the Fusions are now slowly recovering. They look better than they have in a long time.

On the subject of aftershaves, here is my review:

• I like alcohol aftershave. I like a bit of burn / tingle. I also think there is a solid reason why EthOH AS is traditional: you do need to sterilize the skin, to prevent the micro-nicks from turning into micro-infections and then into bumps. The current trend for aloe non-burning aftershaves is nice marketing but I think that that is one of the things that contributed to my Fusion bumps. Alcohol. It kills germs. You could probably take rubbing alcohol and dilute it to 55% and it would be a perfectly good AS, but it wouldn't have the pleasant smell and aesthetics of some of these ASes.
  • I don't believe that an aftershave is the same thing as a perfume or cologne. Sure, it should smell pleasant as part of the shaving experience, but its purpose is to apply alcohol, not to give me a scent for the rest of the day.

I have tried three so far, all with high alcohol content (about 50%):

Dominica Bay Rum: my favorite

It's got a great, clean, spicy fragrance which doesn't linger too long. The fragrance is a perfect recipe which I'm sure they've used forever and they don't need to change because they got it right. I like the bottle. I like the fact that it's cheap. It's probably 1/20 the cost of the GFT ASes I'm comparing it to.

GFT Bay Rum:

I don't like this one at all. Too much of something like caraway or maybe even dill or some savory spice. The fragrance is off for me. I won't buy it again. They also put too much Bitrex so when a bit gets onto my lips, it's an unpleasant taste. I know they are required to put Bitrex but somehow there is a lot more of it in GFT than in Bay Rum.

GFT Skye:

This one I like. It has a light floral fragrance which fades quickly but lingers lightly for the rest of the day. I don't detect as much Bitrex in this as I notice in GFT's Bay Rum.

I use Skye as my weekday morning AS. As much as I like Bay Rum it's not an appropriate scent in an office. It smells like booze. Skye is better and more professionally acceptable.

Last edited:
I didn't even shave at all yesterday. That's how smooth my shave was Saturday evening. There just wasn't much to shave on Sunday, so that's why there's a gap in my shaving journal.

Today, I shaved. I timed it: 15 minutes. Much faster than I was a few weeks ago, and almost fast enough. Ideally I shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

And wow, it is a smooth smooth shave. All the experienced straight razor shavers talk about how straights can give the smoothest shave you've ever had. It is true. Once you figure out how to use it, that's what it does. The paradox of it is that it's also the dullest blade you'll ever shave with. The best-honed straight is duller than an ordinary disposable DE blade that costs $0.10. I don't fully know why they can shave so well despite being so dull, but they can.

Anyway, it works. I got a really great shave. Perfect? No, I still didn't get some spots to be perfect, but it's still excellent, probably better than my best DE shave ever.

All you guys who are thinking of trying it, go for it! Don't give up, keep going on it. Do expect to get bad shaves for at least a month. You will start getting occasional good shaves after the first month. Don't get frustrated, don't push it, just keep going slow and steady. And make sure your blade is properly honed.

I still get a few minor blood spots. They disappear by the time I use the AS but I still would prefer to not get them.

I remain a strong advocate of alcohol AS. I think it is necessary to kill bacteria to help micro-nicks heal properly. Otherwise they turn into bumps.

Ah, speaking of bumps, I'm seeing my Fusion bumps decreasing and my skin is looking better.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't even shave at all yesterday. That's how smooth my shave was Saturday evening. There just wasn't much to shave on Sunday, so that's why there's a gap in my shaving journal.

Today, I shaved. I timed it: 15 minutes. Much faster than I was a few weeks ago, and almost fast enough. Ideally I shouldn't take more than ten minutes.

And wow, it is a smooth smooth shave. All the experienced straight razor shavers talk about how straights can give the smoothest shave you've ever had. It is true. Once you figure out how to use it, that's what it does. The paradox of it is that it's also the dullest blade you'll ever shave with. The best-honed straight is duller than an ordinary disposable DE blade that costs $0.10. I don't fully know why they can shave so well despite being so dull, but they can.

Anyway, it works. I got a really great shave. Perfect? No, I still didn't get some spots to be perfect, but it's still excellent, probably better than my best DE shave ever.

All you guys who are thinking of trying it, go for it! Don't give up, keep going on it. Do expect to get bad shaves for at least a month. You will start getting occasional good shaves after the first month. Don't get frustrated, don't push it, just keep going slow and steady. And make sure your blade is properly honed.

I still get a few minor blood spots. They disappear by the time I use the AS but I still would prefer to not get them.

I remain a strong advocate of alcohol AS. I think it is necessary to kill bacteria to help micro-nicks heal properly. Otherwise they turn into bumps.

Ah, speaking of bumps, I'm seeing my Fusion bumps decreasing and my skin is looking better.

I would've shaved anyways! :tongue_sm Go work! Sounds like you are getting there! :thumbup1:

I shaved in twelve minutes today, getting quite a smooth and good shave. I also had too much alcohol burn after, meaning I'm being too aggressive on it. Still it's cool that it's now fast enough to be a normal part of my day. I'm still aiming to get to under ten minutes.

Is that just the blade to face time? How many passes?

Strange that at 45 it still feels overshaved. I use a bit of pressure and don't get that bad a feeling but sometimes alcohol as just hurts.

Is that just the blade to face time?

It's total time. I spend no time lathering, less than one minute stropping.

How many passes?

I basically do two WTG passes and then one ATG pass. I realize that I'm missing the XTG pass in there. But in my 2nd WTG pass, I do some more scything action which I guess functions as XTG.

Strange that at 45 it still feels overshaved. I use a bit of pressure and don't get that bad a feeling but sometimes alcohol as just hurts.

It's not really over-shaved, certainly not like it was, just I think I was being too hasty. Also I think I need to do a touch-up on my blade, using my new Naniwa 12k stone. Yeah, alcohol is going to burn of course but sometimes it's more, sometimes less.

Last night I tried my first time of touch-up honing using my new Naniwa 12k. I put some water on it, and did about 5 passes on each side. I used no pressure beyond the weight of the blade itself.

Today I shaved in about 12 minutes and got a pretty good shave, maybe not as good as yesterday. I'm getting close shaves but I'm also getting some micro-nicks. They stop bleeding almost immediately but I would prefer to not get them at all. I'm also getting too strong of an alcohol burn after. I think I need to concentrate more on not using any pressure on the ATG pass.

I have no idea if my touch-up honing made any difference at all. Maybe the blade was sharper, or maybe I'm just imagining it.

All in all, this is cool. It's giving me good shaves in a reasonable amount of time at this point. I'm converted!

Getting fast, just over ten minutes. I got a pretty smooth shave today too, and I did not feel over-shaved and alcohol was a light tingle. This is good, except... I got a real nick on my chin. It seems like my chin is nick-prone somehow. I don't feel it, I can hardly see the cut, but it did bleed. It stopped on its own within a few minutes but I would prefer not to see any blood during my normal morning routine. It happened just after I heard the phone ringing on my work line. I need to turn off the distractions for at least ten minutes a day.

Skipped straight shaving today. I used the DE, because I was in a hurry.

I found out:

• Actually, at this point, my straight shaves are better than whatever I can do with a DE
  • Straight shaves are just about as fast
  • Straight shaves do take more concentration and I'm more likely to get a nick

I'll be happy to be back on straight tomorrow, but every once in a while it's good to go back to a familiar reference point.

Top Bottom