What's new

NEW Original 1932 Floid The Genuine!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Floid has been one of my top favourites since I first discovered it seven years ago - both the Vigoroso and the Genuine/Suave.
For this reason I have been anxious to get my hands on a bottle of the new (allegedly more original) formula, to see how it compares to the ones I know and love, not least because of a concern that they would change something already "perfect' into something less so.
Today I received a bottle of the new formula, and here is my impression so far -- especially to those of you in a similar predicament, already familar with Floid and "hooked" on it, but anxious about how the new formular compares.

I should start by saying that I love and regularly use both the Vigoroso and the Genuine, in the formulas sold during the last seven years. The Vigoroso and the Genuine in these formulas are very similar. It's just that the Vigoroso is a more powerful version, scent is stronger and lingers longer, and the Vigoroso also has more alcohol and menthol than the Genuine. It is also often stated that the Vigoroso is of Spanish origin, whereas the Genuine is of Italian origin.
I started using only Vigoroso, but got a bottle of the Genuine in Italy, and started liking it more because the lingering scent was more subtle, and not lingering as long. But I have also continued using the Vigoroso intermittently when I wanted a "harder kick" than the Genuine could deliver.

So In short, I am a long term regular user of both the Vigoroso and the Genuine, and very familiar with both. So how does the "new formula" Genuine compare ...?

I base this only on personal experience and first impression -- as opposed to reading of ingredients and such -- and I may well post again later and change my mind when I have more experience with the new formula. Here is my impression so far:

The most distinctive difference between the new formula and the "old" Genuine, is that the new formula seems to have less menthol than the old one. In fact, in the beginning, I was wondering if it even had menthol in it at all, even though I had read on the label that it did. The menthol is so subtle that you barely notice it, whereas with the older Genuine the menthol was clearly there, though not as powerfully as is the case with the Vigoroso.
In terms of the scent, I don't really think there is a noticable difference. In other words, the new formula Genuine and the "old" Genuine basically smell the same. If anything, the scent of the new formula might be just slightly weaker than the older Genuine.
On both accounts, my preference remains for the old Genuine, so my conclusion, based on first impressions, is that the new formula Genuine is somewhat dissappointing -- especially given my assumption that it will replace the version of the Genuine that I love.

As the saying goes, If it aint broke, why fix it. I miss a sense of what the GAIN with the new formula is -- other than some apparent hype that it allegedly is closer to the "original" 1930s formula, and contains more "natural" ingredients.

This makes my wonder, A) should I stock pile some of the "old" Genuine bottles still for sale, and B) might Floid also change the Vigoroso soon, in which case I would definitely stock pile some bottles of Vigoroso!!!

I am very keen to hear you guys' perspectives in these regards -- if you have useful and reliable information, please share.

Excellent post.

While I haven’t posted in this thread before now, I have been following it off and on since @Marco created the thread.

Over my many years here, I have acquired many European aftershaves which all were and are excellent splashes. I have 3017’d many of my European stash of splashes without replacing when finished over the years as I simply have too many American aftershaves that I have back stocked in storage.

I absolutely loved La Toja Manantiales and was absolutely heartbroken when it discontinued. In the same turn, I have recently emptied the last of my Proraso Green AS and a bottle of the Classic La Toja last year. While I absolutely loved and enjoyed every single one of their differences, I won’t replace them simply because of the sheer amount of other aftershaves I own and use.

The question isn’t aren’t they good enough to be replaced? Yes, they were all excellent!

But are they better than the American AS’s I literally have gallons and gallons of? No, they aren’t better. However, I can honestly say; the American aftershaves aren’t any better than the European aftershaves either? They all are just different and good in their own way.

I have noticed over the years though? Most American gents, will prefer their few American classics and most European gents will prefer their few European classics.

Floid has been a famous European brand for a longtime for a reason. I have finished bottles of and enjoyed, Blue, Vigoroso, Suave and Black over the years and loved every single drop from every single one. But I never considered hoarding them when they discontinued like I do when I think one of my American splashes are going away? I don’t know if that’s because of some kind of nationality bias? Or just because I’m American and the American classics are just easier and cheaper to obtain?

But after spending years of obtaining, owning and using, literally hundreds of different aftershaves from around the world, I can emphatically say it’s not because American classics are better than European classics, because they are not. But in my experience, European splashes are not any better than American splashes either. All are different in some way or fashion that make them all appealing regardless where they come from. Take Speick for an example. It was one of the first splashes I ever had. Wonderful face feel. It doesn’t get any better than Speick. However, I just wasn’t into it’s Patchouli scent. It wasn’t a bad scent to me, I just didn’t prefer it.

I didn’t replace my German Pitralon when it was used up and I really love and miss it. I have a bit of the Czech Pitralon’s left and won’t replace them when gone either. I do have a few bottles of Swiss Pitralon in storage, but those were acquired years ago when Bullgoose was having a special purchase deal on them.

In saying all of this, I will be purchasing a bottle of The Original Floid, even though I haven’t purchased an European splash in quite a few years. Why?

1. Just look at the length of this thread? When a splash can garner this much attention? It should be tried, no matter where it comes from.

2. Marco seems to think very highly of it. And when Marco speaks, I listen. :)

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Excellent post.

While I haven’t posted in this thread before now, I have been following it off and on since @Marco created the thread.

Over my many years here, I have acquired many European aftershaves which all were and are excellent splashes. I have 3017’d many of my European stash of splashes without replacing when finished over the years as I simply have too many American aftershaves that I have back stocked in storage.

I absolutely loved La Toja Manantiales and was absolutely heartbroken when it discontinued. In the same turn, I have recently emptied the last of my Proraso Green AS and a bottle of the Classic La Toja last year. While I absolutely loved and enjoyed every single one of their differences, I won’t replace them simply because of the sheer amount of other aftershaves I own and use.

The question isn’t aren’t they good enough to be replaced? Yes, they were all excellent!

But are they better than the American AS’s I literally have gallons and gallons of? No, they aren’t better. However, I can honestly say; the American aftershaves aren’t any better than the European aftershaves either? They all are just different and good in their own way.

I have noticed over the years though? Most American gents, will prefer their few American classics and most European gents will prefer their few European classics.

Floid has been a famous European brand for a longtime for a reason. I have finished bottles of and enjoyed, Blue, Vigoroso, Suave and Black over the years and loved every single drop from every single one. But I never considered hoarding them when they discontinued like I do when I think one of my American splashes are going away? I don’t know if that’s because of some kind of nationality bias? Or just because I’m American and the American classics are just easier and cheaper to obtain?

But after spending years of obtaining, owning and using, literally hundreds of different aftershaves from around the world, I can emphatically say it’s not because American classics are better than European classics, because they are not. But in my experience, European splashes are not any better than American splashes either. All are different in some way or fashion that make them all appealing regardless where they come from.

I didn’t replace my German Pitralon when it was used up and I really love and miss it. I have a bit of the Czech Pitralon’s left and won’t replace them when gone either. I do have a few bottles of Swiss Pitralon in storage, but those were acquired years ago when Bullgoose was having a special purchase deal on them.

In saying all of this, I will be purchasing a bottle of The Original Floid, even though I haven’t purchased an European splash in quite a few years. Why?

1. Just look at the length of this thread? When a splash can garner this much attention? It should be tried, no matter where it comes from.

You are in for a treat! I have tried, and been impressed by, european aftershaves. Similar to you, I never felt the need to purchase more than a sample for most, because while they were different from American aftershaves, they certainly weren't better. Notably, I have tried the Floids, the Prorasos, various TOBS, Pitralons, etc. Not worth the premium.

The Genuine though... she is a different beast. Instantly rocketed to my favorite aftershave splash. Not even a close contest.

Next favorite would be Skin Bracer because of the scent more than anything else!

You will love it!

Excellent post.

But after spending years of obtaining, owning and using, literally hundreds of different aftershaves from around the world, I can emphatically say it’s not because American classics are better than European classics, because they are not. But in my experience, European splashes are not any better than American splashes either. All are different in some way or fashion that make them all appealing regardless where they come from. Take Speick for an example. It was one of the first splashes I ever had. Wonderful face feel. It doesn’t get any better than Speick. However, I just wasn’t into it’s Patchouli scent. It wasn’t a bad scent to me, I just didn’t prefer it.

2. Marco seems to think very highly of it. And when Marco speaks, I listen.
You got me hooked on Wild Country.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Excellent post.

You Sir have brought a tear to my eyes. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart.

P.S. Please, do let me know your thoughts on the Original 1932 Floid The Genuine after having tested it yourself.

OkieStubble

You Sir have brought a tear to my eyes. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart.

P.S. Please, do let me know your thoughts on the Original 1932 Floid The Genuine after having tested it yourself.

I most certainly will. :)

I used this for the first time today and here is what I thought of it. I did enjoy it and will use it again.

First time using the Original 1932 Floid The Genuine Aftershave and it did not disappoint. I did enjoy it, I am not big on scents meaning sometimes I don't pick up on like all the scents of something but this did have some menthol in it, I would say not like a lot but enough to notice. Mind you I really do like menthol so take that into consideration but it has a nice kick of it. The smell was nice, the alcohol content was, I prefer stronger alcohol content in aftershave splashes and this one did have a good amount of it in it so if I were to say anything, it has a refreshing smell and post feel after, a good amount of alcohol (I like the burning sensation and sting especially as feedback as I do not use alum) and a nice menthol feel it is as well so you can say a nice balance of everything. I am glad I did get it.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
After having finished a first 400 ml bottle, I have today finished a second 150 ml bottle. Now, I have a third one (still 150 ml) ready for action. Did I mention I love this legendary aftershave? :001_wub:
I have been using my 400 ml bottle every day since the beginning of the year and am only about halfway done. I am in no rush!

OkieStubble

I most certainly will. :)

Ok Marco, We finally had a cold front blow thru Oklahoma and relieve us of 100+ temperatures. The high temp today is a nice 78 degrees, perfect temps for unboxing The Floid Genuine I have been staring at sitting on the shelves in my shave den for the last month. Usually when the seasonal transition from summer to fall begins, we will get temps ranging from the mid 70's to the mid 80's for several weeks to a month.

I usually take advantage of this time, to make a dent in the many American splashes that I have, which have light menthol added to their ingredients list. Most are familiar with Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva, Mennen Skin Bracer and several of the vintage Avon's that have menthol in their ingredients list. I have used up most of the European splashes I've owned that have menthol and just have never planned to replace them as I just have too many American splashes to choose from. Makes it hard some days when I am really missing the scent of Proraso. :) I think I have a bit of Czech Polar left, but I just don't care for it's scent after the dry down and can't really bring myself to dig it out of storage to finish it. :)

My post today, will just be the unboxing and initial perceptions and thoughts from the bottle; as I will be foregoing the light menthol American classics this year, and spending the next week or few weeks, getting to know Floid The Genuine where I will again; post a review after using it and giving it a few shaves to sink in so I can learn everything I want to know about it. :)

The Unboxing:

IMG_1442.jpeg

First thing off the top of my mind that I'm sure we all know? American splashes are cheaper and easier to obtain than European splashes in America. Do bottles of Classic American aftershaves, cost more to obtain in Europe and harder to get than European splashes in Europe?

I went to Ebay about a month or so ago as I could shop around different prices from different places along with shipping. Most of the 400ML bottlse of The Genuine were around $40USD; and I picked up my 150ML size for about 23 dollars and some change including shipping. Not bad I guess, considering it was shipped from the Netherlands, but still not cheap; and I like to bereal cheap when I can. :)

The reason there is a bottle of Classic Pinaud Clubman in the pic next to the Floid? Is because, as I was reading this thread, I a review posted by a member who I can't recall their username off the top of my head and don't want to go looking for it. Anyhoo, the review said that to them; Floid The Genuine was very close and very familiar in scent with Pinaud Clubman. My first wiffs from the Floid was being compared to wiffing Pinaud Clubman along side it.

Individual scent perception is an amazing thing, because they didn't smell similar to me at all. Don't get me wrong, the could easily be discerned as similar, simply because they are both considered to be in the genre of a "classic barbershop scent" with the powdery, talc thing going on for the both of them. So they are similar in that way. However, their scent profiles are definitely different. Pinaud Clubman has an immediately sweet, talc note from the bottle and the Floid The Genuine has more of a slightly, less sweet, medicinal note from the bottle. While many might think the word "medicinal" is a bad thing when it comes to scent, I am not one of those. Yes, there are some bad medicinal smells in some splashes, But Proraso? Has that good 'medicinal thing' going for it? So does Jeris's Osage Rub if you like that kinda thing? The medicinal in the Osage Rub, is even better when mixed with Skin Bracer to make Bootlegger's Green Freeze. :)

The slight medicinal note in Floid The Genuine, gives it's scent from the bottle, that really cool, nostagic, 'Old World' barbershop "thing" going for it. While it's hard to explain and difficult to describe, when it comes to splashes? There isn't anything better than that. I am just as proud and nationalist about my American classics, as is @Marco about his Italian classics, and while I would never say Clubman is better than Floid, I also would never admit to Floid being better than Clubman. Why? Because they are both different and both great! But they are not nowhere similar to me.

However, in saying all of this when comparing the both of them? My first initial impression from the bottle of Floid The Genuine? When I open a bottle of Pinaud Clubman and sniff the bottle? I immediately get taken back in memory, to a small town barbershop, filled with cigar smoke, men reading the newspaper and discussing the current events of the day, while the barber is slapping Clubman on my 10 year old neck while i am staring at Norman Rockwell posters on the wall. :) No other way to describe it than simply Old School barbershop.

Floid The Genuine? Only been to Europe once in my life, while attending a conference and training seminar in Germany on anti-terrorism, but I didn't get to visit a barbershop while I was there. :) But reading the 25+ pages of Marco's thread and experiencing over the years of Marco's describing his admiration and national pride for many different Italian shave products? Him describing his love for Floid The Genuine just hit me a bit different then when he talks about Proraso or Cella and other great Italian classics. I couldalmost see the gleam in his eye from the joy in his heart with the bring back and resurgence of Floid The Genuine.

So while I have never been to italy or getting a shave from a master barber in a Italian barbershop? I can 'almost feel like I have experienced it, thru his great detail and admiration and pride that he exudes when writing about them here. So how would I describe Floid The Genuine from the bottle? While Pinaud Clubman can be described as an 'Old School' Classic American barbershop scent, Floid The Genuine to me, is an 'Old World' Classic Italian barbershop scent. I think I can literally smell the scent of 'Old World Barbershop' from the bottle. :)

I will use Floid The Genuine after my shaves for the next couple of weeks and post a review of how it feels without comparing it to Pinaud Clubman. I actually add my own vegetable glycerin to my Pinaud Clubman, because I feel like it needs the help. What I have already easily noticed by reading the labels of the new Floid the Genuine, especially compared to the older version? The older Floid Original Dopobarba, Had sodium benzoate and citric acid in it, which many may know the mixture of these ingredients when combined together make a known toxic carcinogen called 'benzene'. Neither of those ingredients are carcinogenic by themselves, only together, The new Floid has a couple of benzoates, but no citric acid to cause that type of effect. Maybe that's why Floid discontinued the first original? Europe has been known to have pretty high standards on stuff like this not being in their products?

Other newer things it has that the old Floid didn't is glycerin and castor oil? That beats the condition effects of Pinaud Clubman right from the get go. Rosmary, Thyme, Lavender, Coumarin, sage? All these are herbs that calm and soothe a fresh shaved face.

So give me a couple of weeks and we shall see? I'm excited. :)

OkieStubble

I opened up my bottle of Floid the Genuine about 10 days ago and have used it exclusively for every shave in order to get a good sense and feel for it before posting a review. I shave every other day and have used the new formula Floid The Genuine for about 5 shaves now; so hopefully I will do it justice in describing it.

I have never tried the older 'original' formula of the Italian made Floid Dopobarba aftershave that some called 'amber' I think? I have tried both of the older Spanish versions of Suave and Vigoroso. I think I probably never purchased any of the older italian version, because frankly, Back then, while there were some suttle differences between the two Spanish versions, They were similar enough To my nose, I guess I just assumed the older original Italian Floid was similar also, so there wasn't a need to obtain and try it.

But @Marco 's thread here, really peeked my interest in this newer version and formula of Floid The Genuine, I decided to get a bottle and try it out for myself; even though I have been trying to not purchase any 'new experience's for myself in aftershaves, as I just simply own way too many bottles of aftershaves already. But my curiosity for this new Floid got the best of me, so I pulled the trigger on a 150 ml bottle. Upon unboxing it, I really liked the thick glass bottle it came in. It has an old timey look to the bottle and cap and the artwork on the sticker added to the old fashioned barbershop vibe to it.

Smelling it from the bottle and even splashing it on for the first time, I did immediately recognize It's similar familiarities with the Spanish versions of Suave and Vigoroso. But while there are similarities in the foundational base of the scent, the Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender and Sage, which aren't in the Spanish versions, did seem to give it a deeper, richer scent. I actually, find it hard to describe it's scent and what it smells like. I can easily describe some of my American classics with just a couple of words. Classic Aqua Velva? Lavender & Oak Moss, Classic Skin Bracer? Lavender & Vanilla.

But when I want to describe a classic American Barbershop aftershave like Pinaud Clubman? I simply just say, Classic Barbershop scent? Why is that? Pinaud Clubman is orange, lemon, bergamot, jasmine, geranium and lavender with a musk base. But do I smell all of this when I want to describe the American barbershop classic? No, I only smell old timey barbershop; and, so that's how I describe it. I have never called Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer barbershop scent? I'm pretty sure, it's probably, because I don't ever recall, getting Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer splashed on the back of my neck as a kid in the barber's chair. But I do remember and will never forget getting Pinaud's Clubman slapped on after the barber shaved the hair off the back of my neck. :)

So, how do I describe the scent and feel of the new, Floid The Genuine? Can I call it 'a barbershop' scent? I'm sure there are plenty of European's who probably have the same memories of it being splashed on at their local barbershop, just as many Americans have memories of Pinaud Clubman. Is this why we call them barbershop aftershaves? Or is it just because they have a powdery dry down or note to them? Skin Bracer has this same thing? So do many other aftershaves? But I never hear of them being referred to as a 'barbershop' aftershave?

In saying all of this, when I splash on Floid The Genuine, it does still conjure up in my mind, the thought or perception at least, of only what I can describe as an 'Old World' kinda vibe.. thing going on with it. While it's base scent is similar to the Spanish Floids, it's still quite different with it's own personal identity in it's profile. It smells kinda similar to Vigoroso? , but my memory seems to recall, that Vigoroso had more menthol and was a bit more sweeter and spicier in it's scent? The Genuine also, sorta reminded me of Suave, but Suave seems less sweet and less spicy then the Genuine and more powdery in it's dry down from what I remember? I think as far as scent wise, Floid The Genuine falls into a perfect place, right in between the stronger, sweeter and spicier Vigoroso; and the lighter, milder and less menthol than the Suave. So, Genuine has more menthol than Suave, but less menthol than Vigoroso. It's scent is stronger than Suave, but not as strong as Vigoroso.

Face feel was remarkable! The Spanish Floid's I had, only had Castor oil as the moisturizing ingredient. Floid The Genuine has castor oil and glycerine, along with the added botanicals of the rosemary, thyme, lavender and sage, which all are herbs or flowers that help soothe and calm the skin. While the initial splash goes on a bit tacky and sticky feeling to the skin, due to the castor oil and glycerine, that tacky feeling soon goes away as it dries down, leaving the face feeling smooth and moisturized. I thought the powdery dry down was perfect and not over done with powder. Vigoroso didn't have enough powder imo; and Suave had too much powder. But The Genuine is just right. Kind of like the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. Goldilocks thought Pa Pa bears porridge was too hot; and Ma Ma bears porridge was too cold, but baby bears porridge was juuuuust right! :)

Comparing the classic Italian Barbershop Floid The Genuine to the classic American Barbershop Pinaud Clubman? Love the scent of Clubman and The Genuine. They both smell absolutely wonderful and special in their own individual way. Clubman smells like old timey, nostalgic barbershop to me, where as, The Genuine smells 'Old World' to me. I can't honestly say; "old world barbershop" Because I have never been there or done that, but when I just say; "Old World?" I mean that with deep respect and appreciation and hope it's taken as the great compliment in which it's meant. :)

But face feel? I would have to honestly give the nod to Floid The Genuine over Pinaud Clubman. I already add a few drops of glycerin to my new bottles of Clubman when I get them, because frankly, it needs the help in the moisturizing department. Now after trying Floid The Genuine, I'm probably going to start adding a few drops of castor oil also to my Clubman.

Thank you Marco for this thread and helping us know and learn of the Italian Classic, Floid The Genuine. With all the many aftershave's I own, I really don't need to be buying any more aftershaves as long as I live. But I'm glad I talked myself into getting this bottle of Floid The Genuine. I can see why you truly love it. I finished the very last splash from a bottle of Proraso Green I had last Summer, which I hadn't planned on replacing, but I do find myself missing it and thinking about it on occasion, even though I have excellent American replacements stocked in multiples in my storage.

I'm sure my one 150ml bottle of Floid will last me for years because of the size of my rotations. But If I ever do run out, I just might have to bite the bullet and order more. It's that good, regardless the fact I own around 200 aftershaves. If I do; I might have to throw in another bottle of Proraso to make the shipping worth it. :)

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I opened up my bottle of Floid the Genuine about 10 days ago and have used it exclusively for every shave in order to get a good sense and feel for it before posting a review. I shave every other day and have used the new formula Floid The Genuine for about 5 shaves now; so hopefully I will do it justice in describing it.

I have never tried the older 'original' formula of the Italian made Floid Dopobarba aftershave that some called 'amber' I think? I have tried both of the older Spanish versions of Suave and Vigoroso. I think I probably never purchased any of the older italian version, because frankly, Back then, while there were some suttle differences between the two Spanish versions, They were similar enough To my nose, I guess I just assumed the older original Italian Floid was similar also, so there wasn't a need to obtain and try it.

But @Marco 's thread here, really peeked my interest in this newer version and formula of Floid The Genuine, I decided to get a bottle and try it out for myself; even though I have been trying to not purchase any 'new experience's for myself in aftershaves, as I just simply own way too many bottles of aftershaves already. But my curiosity for this new Floid got the best of me, so I pulled the trigger on a 150 ml bottle. Upon unboxing it, I really liked the thick glass bottle it came in. It has an old timey look to the bottle and cap and the artwork on the sticker added to the old fashioned barbershop vibe to it.

Smelling it from the bottle and even splashing it on for the first time, I did immediately recognize It's similar familiarities with the Spanish versions of Suave and Vigoroso. But while there are similarities in the foundational base of the scent, the Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender and Sage, which aren't in the Spanish versions, did seem to give it a deeper, richer scent. I actually, find it hard to describe it's scent and what it smells like. I can easily describe some of my American classics with just a couple of words. Classic Aqua Velva? Lavender & Oak Moss, Classic Skin Bracer? Lavender & Vanilla.

But when I want to describe a classic American Barbershop aftershave like Pinaud Clubman? I simply just say, Classic Barbershop scent? Why is that? Pinaud Clubman is orange, lemon, bergamot, jasmine, geranium and lavender with a musk base. But do I smell all of this when I want to describe the American barbershop classic? No, I only smell old timey barbershop; and, so that's how I describe it. I have never called Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer barbershop scent? I'm pretty sure, it's probably, because I don't ever recall, getting Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer splashed on the back of my neck as a kid in the barber's chair. But I do remember and will never forget getting Pinaud's Clubman slapped on after the barber shaved the hair off the back of my neck. :)

So, how do I describe the scent and feel of the new, Floid The Genuine? Can I call it 'a barbershop' scent? I'm sure there are plenty of European's who probably have the same memories of it being splashed on at their local barbershop, just as many Americans have memories of Pinaud Clubman. Is this why we call them barbershop aftershaves? Or is it just because they have a powdery dry down or note to them? Skin Bracer has this same thing? So do many other aftershaves? But I never hear of them being referred to as a 'barbershop' aftershave?

In saying all of this, when I splash on Floid The Genuine, it does still conjure up in my mind, the thought or perception at least, of only what I can describe as an 'Old World' kinda vibe.. thing going on with it. While it's base scent is similar to the Spanish Floids, it's still quite different with it's own personal identity in it's profile. It smells kinda similar to Vigoroso? , but my memory seems to recall, that Vigoroso had more menthol and was a bit more sweeter and spicier in it's scent? The Genuine also, sorta reminded me of Suave, but Suave seems less sweet and less spicy then the Genuine and more powdery in it's dry down from what I remember? I think as far as scent wise, Floid The Genuine falls into a perfect place, right in between the stronger, sweeter and spicier Vigoroso; and the lighter, milder and less menthol than the Suave. So, Genuine has more menthol than Suave, but less menthol than Vigoroso. It's scent is stronger than Suave, but not as strong as Vigoroso.

Face feel was remarkable! The Spanish Floid's I had, only had Castor oil as the moisturizing ingredient. Floid The Genuine has castor oil and glycerine, along with the added botanicals of the rosemary, thyme, lavender and sage, which all are herbs or flowers that help soothe and calm the skin. While the initial splash goes on a bit tacky and sticky feeling to the skin, due to the castor oil and glycerine, that tacky feeling soon goes away as it dries down, leaving the face feeling smooth and moisturized. I thought the powdery dry down was perfect and not over done with powder. Vigoroso didn't have enough powder imo; and Suave had too much powder. But The Genuine is just right. Kind of like the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. Goldilocks thought Pa Pa bears porridge was too hot; and Ma Ma bears porridge was too cold, but baby bears porridge was juuuuust right! :)

Comparing the classic Italian Barbershop Floid The Genuine to the classic American Barbershop Pinaud Clubman? Love the scent of Clubman and The Genuine. They both smell absolutely wonderful and special in their own individual way. Clubman smells like old timey, nostalgic barbershop to me, where as, The Genuine smells 'Old World' to me. I can't honestly say; "old world barbershop" Because I have never been there or done that, but when I just say; "Old World?" I mean that with deep respect and appreciation and hope it's taken as the great compliment in which it's meant. :)

But face feel? I would have to honestly give the nod to Floid The Genuine over Pinaud Clubman. I already add a few drops of glycerin to my new bottles of Clubman when I get them, because frankly, it needs the help in the moisturizing department. Now after trying Floid The Genuine, I'm probably going to start adding a few drops of castor oil also to my Clubman.

Thank you Marco for this thread and helping us know and learn of the Italian Classic, Floid The Genuine. With all the many aftershave's I own, I really don't need to be buying any more aftershaves as long as I live. But I'm glad I talked myself into getting this bottle of Floid The Genuine. I can see why you truly love it. I finished the very last splash from a bottle of Proraso Green I had last Summer, which I hadn't planned on replacing, but I do find myself missing it and thinking about it on occasion, even though I have excellent American replacements stocked in multiples in my storage.

I'm sure my one 150ml bottle of Floid will last me for years because of the size of my rotations. But If I ever do run out, I just might have to bite the bullet and order more. It's that good, regardless the fact I own around 200 aftershaves. If I do; I might have to throw in another bottle of Proraso to make the shipping worth it. :)
My dear friend, this is the most beautiful, complete and heartfelt review I have read so far on the mighty Floid The Genuine. And I'm not referring only to write-ups posted on Badger & Blade, but also write-ups written all over the globe. In just one word: spectacular! :thumbup1:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Just splashed some Floid The Genuine on this morning...

I so appreciate and concur with your review. FtG is truly something special. I say this as someone who has virtually the entire clubman line. Clubman smells incredible, but for skin conditioning nothing beats FtG. (Except maybe Bootlegger's!)

OkieStubble

Just splashed some Floid The Genuine on this morning...

I so appreciate and concur with your review. FtG is truly something special. I say this as someone who has virtually the entire clubman line. Clubman smells incredible, but for skin conditioning nothing beats FtG. (Except maybe Bootlegger's!)

It’s still in the mid to high 80’s here in my state. Even though this is the time of year that I really make huge dents in some of my other aftershaves with light menthol, like AV, SB, and vintage Avon Everest, I am going to skip them this year and continue using FtG until the first big cold front comes, ushering in the Fall season.

I splashed on some this morning after my shave. :)

IMG_1499.jpeg

There are a few other things I noticed or continue to think about when using FtB that I didn’t mention in my review.

While I still consider FtB to be much lighter in it’s menthol strength then let’s say; my Bootlegger’s Green Freeze or ALB; I also have noticed it seems to have a bit more menthol then both of the American classics of Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva.

I also very much like it’s sillage and longevity. While it’s not a very long lasting scent at all, it’s not weak or fleeting either. It seems to give me a good half hour without projection, but that half hour is pretty awesome. But I can spray on any cologne afterwards without worrying if it’s going to clash.

You know me as well as other members here do. I have too many favorite aftershaves to pick just one splash for a “stuck on a deserted Island” thread what splash would I choose kinda thing. And as difficult as a choice that would be from all of the 200 different modern & vintage splashes I own?

I probably would try to get Floid The Genuine into my top 5 or top 10 line up at the very least. It’s one of those aftershave’s that just does everything right. Any minimalist shaver, who only does one soap, one blade, one razor? Wouldn’t be making a mistake, choosing FtB to be their one & only aftershave splash. :)

And this is coming from a dyed in the wool Bootlegger’s guy…. :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I am so happy that my US friends love Floid The Genuine so much! It's actually a pure Italian gem.

Hope to try some really high quality US Bay Rum Aftershave soon, which is something I'm very intrigued about. But it's a totally misterious camp for me, never used before and not even sure what to expect.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I am so happy that my US friends love Floid The Genuine so much! It's actually a pure Italian gem.

Hope to try some really high quality US Bay Rum Aftershave soon, which is something I'm very intrigued about. But it's a totally misterious camp for me, never used before and not even sure what to expect.

Well sir, I’m just a poor & humble country boy; who doesn’t know much about really “high quality” US Bay Rum aftershaves?

But if you have any interest in trying an unique and mysterious American Bay Rum, that is specially made for poor country boy’s from way up in the dark and secretive wooded mountains where only Illegal Bootlegger’s roam and hang out?

I might be able to intrigue and introduce you to some of that Bay Rum? If you are interested? :)

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Well sir, I’m just a poor & humble country boy; who doesn’t know much about really “high quality” US Bay Rum aftershaves?

But if you have any interest in trying an unique and mysterious American Bay Rum, that is specially made for poor country boy’s from way up in the dark and secretive wooded mountains where only Illegal Bootlegger’s roam and hang out?

I might be able to intrigue and introduce you to some of that Bay Rum? If you are interested? :)
Sir, before me I do not see a "poor and humble" country boy. Rather, a refined Gentleman who is generous, kind and embodies the perfect Badger & Blade member. Thank you very much, my dear friend.

Top Bottom