What's new

New Omega Pure Boar Bristle - No smell?

Greetings!
I just received my new Omega Pure Bristle brush, my first boar, and I wanted to proceed and clean it with Dawn etc., but instead of the boar reek I expected when taking it out of the box, the brush has a pleasant smell to it. Is this normal? Also, one or two of the bristles of the outer layer are broken. Is that ok?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

The boar brushes I have bought over the years had little to no smell to them. I guess that some people are over sensitive to certain smells.

I've got a pretty good sniffer. Once when traveling cross country I "sniffed out" an open pit BBQ joint that was more than a mile away. I asked where I was getting gas where the BBQ place was and everyone looked at me like I was crazy until someone said there was one a mile or more down the road.

My boars always smell fine, now I just got my first Badger and I thought I was at the zoo when I put that thing on my face.

Thanks a lot for all the replies! That's a relief, because my badger also smelled like the zoo was visiting, so I was worried something was wrong with the boar not smelling :O

Greetings!
I just received my new Omega Pure Bristle brush, my first boar, and I wanted to proceed and clean it with Dawn etc., but instead of the boar reek I expected when taking it out of the box, the brush has a pleasant smell to it.

My new Semogue boar didn't have much scent to it either.... I guess it's like Turtle says, some people are more sensitive than others.

My Omega boar had an aroma when new, but it was mild compared to the badger it replaced. Didn't seem to last much more than a week, if memory serves.

Have you gotten it wet yet? I just got a Omega 20102 that didn't smell at all until I got it wet. The boar funk is certainly less than I've experienced in the past but it got a little funky the first time I went to use it.

My B&B Essential still smells and I did the Dawn thing and have used it about 30 times.

Yup. My B&B Essential Boar smelled awful the first time I used it. I washed the brush with dish soap, let it soak in soapy water for a few hours, then I lathered it up and let it sit overnight before rinsing it out. It smells pretty good now.

My Semogue SOC and 620 were fine out of the box. No de-skunking required.

Good point. My Semogue 1305 had no smell out of the plastic but as soon as a drop of water hit it, zoo time. Its soaking in a bath of baby bottle soap, hopefully ready for use tomorrow.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My Omega smelled like what I figured a pig wallowing in you-know-what would smell of. My SOC no smell .

Found a omega 20102 yesterday in a secondhand market, never used, no smell to it. I've lathered it up and left the soap in it for a night like I do with all new brushes.

Thanks for all the replies! Haven't gotten it wet yet, didn't get to it (and didn't shave today *grumble*) but am gonna to now, thanks for the heads up for possible impending zoo time!

Bought a boars hair brush at an antique shop. Dunno if it was an antique or not but looked unused. Didn't smell til it hit the water! Wife thinks the pig farm is in the house.

Top Bottom