What's new

New LC vs Timeless and Karve

A couple of months ago I got a serious case of RAD after basically shaving on autopilot for years. Picked up a Karve Stainless with an OC D plate, A Timeless Ti SB 0.95 and then on a whim I purchased a very nice Gillette New LC on ebay for $12.99. Seller just listed it as a 1930s Gillette. I've been alternating these 3 razors and I'm embarrassed to say that the one that consistently gives me the best, most comfortable shaves is the New LC. I could have saved quite a bit of money, although the journey has been interesting.

I have the LC as well and it's a really nice razor for it's price. My only issue is that I can't use any of my stainless steel handles, because I can't tightentem all the way down and I think that affects the way the razor shaves. I've been curious about the SC. Some find it better than the LC. A friend of mine from England bought a RFB LC for me and I have to wait till the summer when he comes to try it out.

A while ago I wanted to get a Goodwill or 2, but although they look very cool and are more unique compared to the generic LC and SC, some folks concider them experimental models and from what i've heard they are hit or miss. Some have misalignment issues due to bad tolerance and precision. After all, they were made from leftover parts and were given for free to folks who wanted to get a razor that fits the new Gillette blades during the depression.

Now I have to try the SC! Are the English News considered better?

I don't think I'll part with the more expensive razors I got just yet, but I am really blown away by the performance of the New. Plenty of rave reviews about it here so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have the LC as well and it's a really nice razor for it's price. My only issue is that I can't use any of my stainless steel handles, because I can't tightentem all the way down and I think that affects the way the razor shaves. I've been curious about the SC. Some find it better than the LC. A friend of mine from England bought a RFB LC for me and I have to wait till the summer when he comes to try it out.

A while ago I wanted to get a Goodwill or 2, but although they look very cool and are more unique compared to the generic LC and SC, some folks concider them experimental models and from what i've heard they are hit or miss. Some have misalignment issues due to bad tolerance and precision. After all, they were made from leftover parts and were given for free to folks who wanted to get a razor that fits the new Gillette blades during the depression.

I have tried to mix the plate of new sc with Feather as-d2, which can be fixed very well, so I can use more stainless steel handles without worrying about thread problems.

I believe this is because Feather faithfully refers to the design of Gillette, and "as-d2 cap mix sc plate" also improves the narrow angle of as-d2.

But because the Feather covers the blade label, the sides will be slightly wider than the sc.
163860057_3914699361902271_898404384306628790_n.jpg

I have tried to mix the plate of new sc with Feather as-d2, which can be fixed very well, so I can use more stainless steel handles without worrying about thread problems.

I believe this is because Feather faithfully refers to the design of Gillette, and "as-d2 cap mix sc plate" also improves the narrow angle of as-d2.

But because the Feather covers the blade label, the sides will be slightly wider than the sc.
View attachment 1257490

My issue is with the baseplate, which doesn't allow for every handle to fit the hole.

R1.jpg

A couple of months ago I got a serious case of RAD after basically shaving on autopilot for years. Picked up a Karve Stainless with an OC D plate, A Timeless Ti SB 0.95 and then on a whim I purchased a very nice Gillette New LC on ebay for $12.99. Seller just listed it as a 1930s Gillette. I've been alternating these 3 razors and I'm embarrassed to say that the one that consistently gives me the best, most comfortable shaves is the New LC. I could have saved quite a bit of money, although the journey has been interesting.
Yep. Extremely hard to beat a New LC. I'm one of those guys who enjoys the challenge that each razor uniquely presents so I won't selling off everything in favor of the LC but you aren't crazy. The LC is superb!

I'm pretty happy with the original handle. The weight is just right, heavier might make the razor too aggressive for me. I'm just struggling with whether to replate or not. I'd post a photo but the site isn't letting me for some reason.

I'm pretty happy with the original handle. The weight is just right, heavier might make the razor too aggressive for me. I'm just struggling with whether to replate or not. I'd post a photo but the site isn't letting me for some reason.
I feel like the handle is just sliiiiightly too light. Not enough to care, but I certainly wish it were just a tad bit heavier.

View attachment 1257490
Pretty Franken cool!

The original handle isn't terrible, but I like swapping handles from time to time and in some cases that improves my shaving and I do get better results. It is what it is I guess.....

Great point! Price and performance are often very different animals! :a21: :a21:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a couple of Gillette New long comb- Canadian Variants from the 1930's, nice mid range razor to use IMO. I like the ball end handle a little more than the fat handle. I do not have a Karve razor to compare with but most folks like there Karve razors.
Gillette Canadian 1930's NEW long comb with fat handle. (2).jpg
Gillette Canadian1930's NEW long comb (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Top Bottom