What's new

Next Step Up: Blackbird or Timeless?

With the generous writings of many members here, I've reached a personal shaving plateau. Might you help me take a next step up? (Attention all RAD enablers.)

Currently, technique and software combine to consistently produce DFS (with rare weepers and no irritation) with Yates SS 921 H plate, Gillette Slim (6 or 7settings) and Gamechanger .84-P plate, primarily using GSB, Nacet and Wizamet blades. I favor shallow angles, heavy, slimmer heads and lightish handles. No OCs.

If I'm at 95% of my shaving goals, why might I be looking at yet another razor, a +$300 one at that? RAD, love of extraordinary marginal utility and aesthetics (the art of my eye), and I love new challenges. Or perhaps a watered-down RAD compromise, such as Yates 922 EH plate or a Lupo head?

Having reviewed as many threads as possible, I'm leaning toward the Blackbird/titanium handle or the Timeless Slim/ Ti Crown handle.

Opinions, recommendations, and alternatives are greatly appreciated. I will read, research and consider all responses.

Thank you!

I’m not a razor expert. Actually, DE razors is the aspect of wet shaving that I always struggled with and didn’t enjoy.
I gravitated to soaps and brushes.
And once I found that the OneBlade SS SE gave me consistent and drama free results, I never looked back and put all my DEs in a box for years.
That’s until I tried the blackbird titanium. It made this poor skilled shaver, a decent shaver. It is that good. I can use it daily without irritation, even when I get cocky and buff an area a bit too much. Two pass is all I need to get DFS+++
Also with blackland return policy…There is no risk for trying one.

Blackbird, IMO. Timeless didn’t really do it for me. Depends on what you’re looking for, however. I like very efficient razors. Timeless razors were a little mild for me. The Blackbird is a step up in efficiency while still being very smooth.

Last edited:
I have Ti Blackbird in regular and Lite plates. I also have Ti Timeless in .95OC and SlimSB plates with crown handle, and SlimOC plate in SS.

The BB regular plate is by far my favorite. However the Timeless.95OC was my daily driver for quite a while. It’s great. And I’d recommend against discounting the Timeless OC offerings, as Timeless seems to do OC like no one else. The SlimSB is just a little too mild for me while the SlimOC is very aggressive. The .95OC head might be a bit big for your liking. I’d also not that the BB works best for me with a neutral to shallow angle. However there are plenty of members here who use it successfully with a steep angle.

Both companies are great with exemplary return policies.

Hope that helps!

Both companies my have 30 return.

Plus you have man choice in Modern Razors.

Thought to find GRAIL that is right for everyone.

Kind of like running shoes not all brand fit, and feel same.

Everyone’s Beard & Skin is unique to them.

Last edited:
I’ve used all three, Yates M/H/EH, timeless Ti .95, bb ti also with the lite plate. The yates h plate was the last for me to try. The Timeless and bb are in my regular rotations for weeks at a time. I just gave away my Yates, not because I hate but because I liked it, a “Dude, you should try this.” To me the Yates H can hold its own against the other two. Personally, you won’t gain much from either razors, but there is small differences in feel and personality. But in the end get both.

I am a Yates 921 fan. I like M for the face, H for the dome. I had the EH, and did not feel like it gave any greater efficiency over the H, and the H is more comfortable.

I have the Blackbird in stainless, and it is an awesome razor. I hear the Ti takes it to the next level.

For my aesthetic tastes, I find Timeless bronze to be the pinnacle of beauty. I have no experience with the slim head, but the 95OC is not as efficient to me as the Blackbird, but it is smooth like buttah. I get better efficiency from the bronze plates.

I have both the Blackbird Ti standard/Lite plates and Timeless Ti68. It would be difficult to say which I like best, probably the Blackbird Ti. They both shave great for me! Something with the Timeless, I have both Ti and AL models, is they glide smoothly and easily for me.

For me personally, is the the Blackbird Ti and it's not even close. I've tried a couple of the Timeless plates, but they either feel too mild and inefficient, or just inefficient and not very intuitive. I find the Slim version a bit better, but it terms of shaving performance, it feels average at best.

The Blackbird however, is currently my favorite razor to shave with regardless if I shave daily, once every 2-3 days and even for longer periods of time. I've had the stainless version for around a month and then I sold it and bought the titanium version and as a result, I sold almost all of my razors. My RAD still kicks in once in a while, but not like before and very new modern razors are on my wish list.

Like others have pointed out, both companies offer 30 days trails, so pick one or more from both and then give them a try and return the one/ones you don't like.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My suggestions:

Blackbird SB. OC can be as bit pointy, in the end I liked the SB better.

Timeless .95 OC with scalloped cap.
The inward bent teeth of the OC and the scalloped cap of Timeless are nothing but amazing and fantastic.

The Timeless handles are on the massive side, so perhaps titanium if you don't like that. The Blackbird SS is already light enough in my book.

I like the Timeless Slim, but this one is now for everyone in shaving style and aggression.

If you buy the Blackbird in SS and Timeless in SS from their scratch & dent, you might be able to have both.

Having just one razor is like having just one wife, who does that... erm. Sorry. 😎

Top Bottom