What's new

New girl looking for advice on legs

Welcome! Cory Greenberg has a web page called shaveblog. If you go to the second page you'll find his wife's posting about leg shaving. Given that their household probably has an endless selection of blades, creams, soaps and razors she probably has an informed opinion. Have fun...

I decided to start with the Merkur blades, since the reviews here tend to be so mixed. There seemed to be more tugging than with the RiteAid ones and, by the end of the shave, I really felt like I'd overused the poor thing. I think that finding a long-lasting blade might end up being one of my priorities.

I switched back to the RiteAid for the next shave for more comparison and will probably give the Merkur another chance today before I move on to the next blade to test. I feel kind of silly to be so excited about trying blades, but this is all just too much fun. :laugh:

Meanwhile, I think I'm really beginning to feel more comfortable with the razor and moving along more quickly. Not that I'm in any particular hurry, but I'd like to be able to get out of the tub before my fingers wrinkle. :blush:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I decided to start with the Merkur blades, since the reviews here tend to be so mixed. There seemed to be more tugging than with the RiteAid ones and, by the end of the shave, I really felt like I'd overused the poor thing. I think that finding a long-lasting blade might end up being one of my priorities.

I switched back to the RiteAid for the next shave for more comparison and will probably give the Merkur another chance today before I move on to the next blade to test. I feel kind of silly to be so excited about trying blades, but this is all just too much fun. :laugh:

Meanwhile, I think I'm really beginning to feel more comfortable with the razor and moving along more quickly. Not that I'm in any particular hurry, but I'd like to be able to get out of the tub before my fingers wrinkle. :blush:

Excellent work! :thumbup1:

I would suggest to keep the Merkur and try them again in 6 months, you should notice a difference... They aren't the best out there, I have to admit!

I started with Merkur too and had the same issue. You might want to try a sampler pack from one of the vendors so you can try a variety.

Found what could be a great shaving cream, for all you lady shavers on here, because it is very gentle and hydrates the skin well, feels moisturized even after shaving or at least my face did.

The cream is by Eau Thermal Avene

The shaving cream of the dermatological laboratories avene was formulated for all the sensitive skins, and more specifically the skins with imperfections, with objective triple: to alleviate, cleanse and hydrate.

Alleviating and anti-irritating: indeed, rich in thermal spring of avene to the alleviating and anti-irritating properties

Cleansing: the triclosan, cleansing agent which decreases the bacterial risks related to shaving.

Hydrating: the association of hydrating actives compensates for the deterioration of the hydrolipidic film due to shaving

http://www.parapharmastock.com/men-s-care/60-creme-a-raser-avec-blaireau.html

Found what could be a great shaving cream, for all you lady shavers on here, because it is very gentle and hydrates the skin well, feels moisturized even after shaving or at least my face did.

The cream is by Eau Thermal Avene

The shaving cream of the dermatological laboratories avene was formulated for all the sensitive skins, and more specifically the skins with imperfections, with objective triple: to alleviate, cleanse and hydrate.

Alleviating and anti-irritating: indeed, rich in thermal spring of avene to the alleviating and anti-irritating properties

Cleansing: the triclosan, cleansing agent which decreases the bacterial risks related to shaving.

Hydrating: the association of hydrating actives compensates for the deterioration of the hydrolipidic film due to shaving

http://www.parapharmastock.com/men-s-care/60-creme-a-raser-avec-blaireau.html
What does it smell like?

What does it smell like?

I have the tube here in front of me and I am trying to figure out what it smells like but cant describe it.

It doesn't smell much, very subtle it smells like Avene, their other products have the same smell, must come from the Eau thermal, Spa mineral water that they put in.

Looks kinda pricy if you ask me. Maybe it is amazing but the packaging looks like it either is, or is trying to be, an upscale brand like dermitologica. I like my creams to look more classy than clinical which I know is silly and if this stuff is both cheap and amazing I'll definitely give it a whirl. About how much does it go for?

Looks kinda pricy if you ask me. Maybe it is amazing but the packaging looks like it either is, or is trying to be, an upscale brand like dermitologica. I like my creams to look more classy than clinical which I know is silly and if this stuff is both cheap and amazing I'll definitely give it a whirl. About how much does it go for?

Your quite right in your comparison to Dermitologica, Avene is considered on a par in France.

The cheapest I have found this online is for €6,90 + postage.
http://www.parapharmacie-discount.n...engafr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=twengaclic

Probably make sense to purchase at least one other product to save on the shipping. The "Avene fluid Apres Rassage" should be lighter than their Baume enough to apply easier to legs.

http://www.parapharmacie-discount.net/avene-fluide-apres-rasage-75-ml.html

This is why I thought it might be suitable for you ladies who want a cream that lathers easily, doesn't irritate and hydrates well. As well as the shave cream, I have used their after sun products in the past and have found them them best I have found, so I would trust that the after shave products should be very soothing.

Chicken Leg Update:

So, Friday, getting ready to go out of town for the weekend, I decided to try going ATG in hopes that the shave might last just one day longer. But by the next day, my skin was getting bumpy and itchy and generally feeling not-awesome. I've shaved only twice since then, single passes WTG, just waiting for things to get back to normal. Either there is no hope for me ever being able to go ATG or I haven't found the optimum razor yet.

On the razor front, I think the ones I picked up at Rite Aid might be Personnas. The container seems to be pretty unique? I've decided the Merkurs aren't for me, they felt tuggy and rough both times I used them. I tried the Gillette SharpEdge and found them sort of scratchy, a sharper feeling, but still not smooth. I'll probably give them another go before I rule them out. Today I tried the Wilkinson Swords and they felt pretty good, a lot like the (probably) Personnas, which are my baseline at the moment. And I felt like they had more life in them when I reached the end of my shave, which was a nice change from crossing my fingers and hoping I can eek out a few more strokes before running into trouble. :laugh:

I also tried out CO Bigelow cream today (Thank you, Janna!) and it was really nice, better than the VDH soap. I might have to pick up a tube next time I'm in Bath & Body Works.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Chicken Leg Update:

So, Friday, getting ready to go out of town for the weekend, I decided to try going ATG in hopes that the shave might last just one day longer. But by the next day, my skin was getting bumpy and itchy and generally feeling not-awesome. I've shaved only twice since then, single passes WTG, just waiting for things to get back to normal. Either there is no hope for me ever being able to go ATG or I haven't found the optimum razor yet.

On the razor front, I think the ones I picked up at Rite Aid might be Personnas. The container seems to be pretty unique? I've decided the Merkurs aren't for me, they felt tuggy and rough both times I used them. I tried the Gillette SharpEdge and found them sort of scratchy, a sharper feeling, but still not smooth. I'll probably give them another go before I rule them out. Today I tried the Wilkinson Swords and they felt pretty good, a lot like the (probably) Personnas, which are my baseline at the moment. And I felt like they had more life in them when I reached the end of my shave, which was a nice change from crossing my fingers and hoping I can eek out a few more strokes before running into trouble. :laugh:

I also tried out CO Bigelow cream today (Thank you, Janna!) and it was really nice, better than the VDH soap. I might have to pick up a tube next time I'm in Bath & Body Works.

It could be the blades... Another brand can fix your problem but for now, try to limit yourself WTG.

Top Bottom