What's new

New girl looking for advice on legs

Something I forgot to mention the first time... after you do one pass ATG you should lather again then do XTG (across the grain) pass this will get any hair that you did not get with the first pass and you won't have as much problem with irritation.

Hi, Chicken! Welcome to B&B. I second the creams. It may be a little easier. And remember that we have a little more area to shave than the guys do, so a little more cream on the brush before you start is no crime. Sometimes you can even create more lather with what may already be in your brush when/if you run out mid-shave.

Get yourself a sample pack of blades, if you haven't already done so. As far as against, cross, or with the grain, that's really a matter of preference. I find it easier to just go against the grain for the most part, but you may find your own way.

The leg shaving wiki is definitely helpful! And these boards are so full of information. I'm having a great time just pouring through post after post. :D I look forward to being able to join the social group.

Meanwhile, as requested... ;)

Legs. Vintage-style.

Ahhhh yeah! Sexy pics!

*looks at picture*

Nooooooo I have been duped! :mad3:

Now last but not least.... Ellie gave you good advice... stick with her... she will take good care of you and the boys in here will mind their manners with her... She knows how to handle a straight with her eyes closed :lol: :lol:
:lol: Well I do peek occasionally but I can use it with both hands so I guess that earns me extra brownie points!
As for how you hold the brush... it really is however is comfortable for you. Personally I like a nice chunky handle that has a slightly rounds/ball style end to it so it fit comfortably in my palm. But have other shorter handled ones too and they are just fine too but not as comfortable. Find one that suits and works for you. That's pretty much the rule of thumb on here with everything!

As for this pin-point feeling you get when you shave across the grain it sounds like you have easily irritated skin. Softening the hairs before shaving either in a hot bath or shower should help this, the moisture and heat will have relax the skin and soften the hair. Also gently exfoliate your legs too so that the dead skin cells are removed. Just a normal loofah or shower scrunchie sponge thing will to the job. There's no need to be too rough.
A good way (though a bit masochistic!) to tell if you are getting irritated skin after a shave is to apply some lotion to your skin afterwards. If you get a tingle or burn from it then your skin is a little raw.
Also use a nice gentle cream or soap, something with lots of cushion and moisturizing properties. That should help a bit too.
If you want I can send you out a little sampler of some soap and creams? Just PM me if you want :)

Last edited:
I got my razor!

Oh, it's so pretty! And smaller than I thought it would be, not the handle so much but the head, too. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was relieved I wouldn't have to maneuver behind my knee with a big hunk of metal or something. Anyway, it's gorgeous. I even brought it with me to RiteAid because I didn't want to put it down. My blade sampler hasn't shown up yet, but I had no intention of waiting and had to run out and buy some blades. :laugh:

This was also my third attempt lathering and I think I'm getting better at it. I kept thinking I wanted whipped-cream or meringue texture but realized I'd been stirring more than really whipping. Thinking of it like baking helped. I also just wet the soap and not the brush, so I think it loaded better rather than just making a mess of suds on the soap. (I've left it in the pack instead of putting it in the bowl.) Yay! Progress!

The actual shaving experience was much less scary than I'd expected. I went pretty slowly at first, just getting used to the feel of everything, but picked up speed. I had to switch hands at one point, since the outside of my left leg is kind of awkwardly far for my right hand, but it seemed to go okay. No nicks at all. I thought for sure I'd have one of those tiny ones you don't realize has happened until the blood shows up, but nada.

I have been soaking in the tub while I lather, but I think the hot water is drying my skin out a bit. I might end up looking into some sort of pre-shave oil to help keep my skin supple during the process. I've heard olive oil is good for shaving, but it seems like it would be awfully thick? And probably make my tub totally gross. :tongue_sm

I did two WTG passes, mostly just to practice. I use Cetaphil afterwards - no stinging, but I don't think there's much in it that would cause a sting so I'm not sure it's really a good test of how much my skin might be irritated.

I'm not 100% sure I had the angle exactly right. The whole flat-head-then-tipping wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. Mostly I listened for a good shaving sound. It was definitely a closer shave than I was getting with my Venus and so fun to use my beautiful new razor!

It's also great to have so much support from this forum and to be able to share my shaving experience. :biggrin1: Thank you so much!

I'm also terribly pleased that you've all enjoyed my picture. ;)

Barber-Eile said:
Also use a nice gentle cream or soap, something with lots of cushion and moisturizing properties. That should help a bit too.
If you want I can send you out a little sampler of some soap and creams? Just PM me if you want :)

I might take you up on that. :biggrin1: I think a badger brush and some fun soaps/creams are going to be on my birthday list next month. ;)

I have been soaking in the tub while I lather, but I think the hot water is drying my skin out a bit. I might end up looking into some sort of pre-shave oil to help keep my skin supple during the process. I've heard olive oil is good for shaving, but it seems like it would be awfully thick? And probably make my tub totally gross. :tongue_sm

Instead of Olive oil which would be a bit thick, try some sweet almond oil.
It is lighter than olive oil, and is absorbed quicker by the skin, this is what you are doing with a pres-have treatment.

Pre shave oil moisturizes skin making it more supple and reduces irritation and the chances of nicks and irritation.

It also smells nice and is delicate enough for babies skin.

Apply to skin once well soaked, while you are building the lather.

Chicken!!! I just now saw this post. Where the heck have I been??? :LOL: I am glad you got all your stuff and your first shave was okay. Sorry that the bath seems to be drying our your skin. Do you have a good moisturizing soap (Oil of Olay body Wash is good) that you can bathe with beforehand. That helps me. Continue to take things slow. Since you have the VDH kit, take the puck of VDH and rub the soap on your legs and get the soap on them really good. Then take your brush and lather on your legs. This may help with your lather problems. I also have a couple of cream samples I can send you if you PM me your addy. Continue to keep us posted.

Welcome to B&B The Girls here will take care of you! :thumbup1:

If the puck got you stuck get this C.O. Bigelow Cream.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, I wanted to shave again today, but my legs are still feeling a bit dry, so I just used some lotion and will wait until tomorrow. If my willpower holds out, that is. :laugh:

jsrdrnr said:
Since you have the VDH kit, take the puck of VDH and rub the soap on your legs and get the soap on them really good.

I'm gonna try that. I'd say my last lather was a bit thinner than I'd have liked. Not in a watery way; it stayed put very well and had good peaks and stuff, but I still felt like it wasn't as cushiony or slick and I might like it to be. Though perhaps that's just this particular soap? Could that be from not enough soap or not enough water?

Luc said:

This was super helpful. Thank you! I thought I might be holding the handle a bit too high, but it looks like I'm probably hovering near the correct right angle, or at least erring on the side of fewer nicks. :biggrin1:

BlackAngus said:
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

I'm just a plastic dinosaur at heart. ;)

You may not be getting enough soap loaded on your brush. I would try the leg lathering though...I find it very helpful.

Aside from the tutorials on here you might want to check out Mantic59's videos on YouTube. Granted a lot of them are geared towards men and face shaving. However there are some good intro to wet shaving vids on there, as well as quite few that deal with lathering and some differences between soaps and creams.

I usually load my brush with cream and lather directly on my wife's legs. That seems to work well and she seems to like the result. Shaving legs uses up a whole lot more product than the face though so I tend to not use the most expensive cream :blushing:

Speaking of which, Godrej is a really nice cream that is cheap and has lanolin in it too. It helps that it's really easy to lather too.

Top Bottom