What's new

New girl looking for advice on legs

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, I wanted to shave again today, but my legs are still feeling a bit dry, so I just used some lotion and will wait until tomorrow. If my willpower holds out, that is. :laugh:

I'm gonna try that. I'd say my last lather was a bit thinner than I'd have liked. Not in a watery way; it stayed put very well and had good peaks and stuff, but I still felt like it wasn't as cushiony or slick and I might like it to be. Though perhaps that's just this particular soap? Could that be from not enough soap or not enough water?

This was super helpful. Thank you! I thought I might be holding the handle a bit too high, but it looks like I'm probably hovering near the correct right angle, or at least erring on the side of fewer nicks. :biggrin1:

I'm just a plastic dinosaur at heart. ;)

No worries. You need to hold the razor where it's comfortable for you. I would hold a DE by the tip of the handle and rarely grab the full handle of the razor. I would probably grab the full handle if I would have a razor with a long handle.

Mal! Picard! Chris Pine's Kirk! I love them all. Don't make me choose! :laugh: But I can't handle Shatner. He makes me want to smack my television. Which does no one any good.

Meanwhile, I had my second shave today!

Without sweet almond oil on hand (though that sounds really lovely), I went with this Bio Oil stuff I have. The whole process does take me quite a while at the moment and my fingers get a little wrinkled so I don't think my legs will stand a chance without oil of some sort. Whether or not Bio Oil is optimum, it definitely helped. :biggrin1:

Lathering went much as it has previously. I did use more soap this time but it still never really got quite as cushiony or slippery as I think I want it to be. I may just want a really slimy soap.

Today I tried doing the knees for the first time, which... took a while. There was some contorting, trying to figure out how to shave the backs of my knees. I only did one pass and missed a few spots, but I felt like I hit other spots a bit too close and wanted to see just how my skin would react before adding a second pass. Next time!

I also did under my arms. It was super scary and I think I squeaked omg-omg-omg the whole time, but damn, that's a fine shave!

Glad your enjoying it so far, don't give up yet I don't think many on hear had lathering sussed after two shaves. You may want to look into a cream to begin with, these are a lot easier to build a lather with. But practice will make perfect!

The sweet almond oil will server the dual purpose of pre-shave and will also moisten and aid healing after the shave, so two birds with one stone.

Welcome to B&B Chicken, and congrat's on the journey.
I cant stop laughing at the "omg-omg-omg" statement...and I understand completely... first time I was shaving over the jugular vein with the straight... :ohmy:

Welcome to B&B Chicken, and congrat's on the journey.
I cant stop laughing at the "omg-omg-omg" statement...and I understand completely... first time I was shaving over the jugular vein with the straight... :ohmy:

+1 :lol:

I'm glad you are getting a feel for what you like and don't like!

(And really, new Kirk is way cooler than original Kirk.)

That would be Chris Pine.

Yeah, keep trying things and I agree with getting a cream. It is quite easier. Do try the leg lathering thing I mentioned. It is easier as well. It is like you are using a shave stick. Again...pm me your addy...I can send you some cream samples!!! Keep on keeping on...you are definately on the right track. It takes some getting used to. What time do you shave? If it is in the evening. Try moistruizing you legs with a good lotion about an hour before your bath. It will help keep your legs from drying out. And dont use a stripping soap like dial, but a moisture one like dove. Just trying to throw more options out there. PM me your addy...I've got a couple of samples to send your way!!! Keep us posted. I cant wait to hear more.

Oh...and new Kirk Rocks!!!

I find it easier to shave the back of my knees when I stretch out my ankle and prop the ankle up higher than where I'm sitting in the bathroom. Makes it a little less awkward for me. I personally do those WTG because I've always had issues with them (even with an electric) but I'm a lot better off with my EJ87.

And shaving under your arms gets less scary the more you do it! (I'm not scared anymore, so that's my only experience!)

I find it easier to shave the back of my knees when I stretch out my ankle and prop the ankle up higher than where I'm sitting in the bathroom. Makes it a little less awkward for me. I personally do those WTG because I've always had issues with them (even with an electric) but I'm a lot better off with my EJ87.

And shaving under your arms gets less scary the more you do it! (I'm not scared anymore, so that's my only experience!)

It really does. I don't even think about it any more.

+1 :lol:

That would be Chris Pine.

I'm a little concerned that you automatically knew that, Mr. Crafty. Your geek is showing.

I think part of what's making my underarm shaving so omg-omg-omg is that the blade is pulling a bit. Kind of a scary sensation! I've tried it now with a fresh blade and had the same experience.

I am starting to feel like the blades aren't really lasting through a whole shave. Legs, two passes... I have no idea how many face-shaves that's equal to. :laugh: I'm not sure if this is to be expected or if there are blades that will last longer. I'm using the RiteAid store brand at the moment, but I think I'm ready to start trying a different blade. And, just in time, my blade sampler finally arrived today!

It includes Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdges, Merkurs, Wilkinson Swords and Feathers. Any suggestions on which I should try first? :biggrin1:

Meanwhile, the bit of pre-shave oil has really helped to keep my legs from drying out during their hour of hot water and soap. I have to apply it before each pass, but I think it's working.

My second experience shaving around my knees went much better. I think I'm getting the hang of it! I had a little irritation on the back of my thigh, but it was cleared up by the next morning and was probably from either too much pressure or just having no idea which way the grain is going. Stupid thighs. All in all, it's exciting to be making progress.

May of the ladies like the 7 o'clocks, but I like the Merkurs. Try whatever you'd like and know you'll try them all eventually.

I had the same problem at first with the blades not lasting. Mine still don't last for more than 1-2 shaves. You could always do your underarms first.

Yup I only use my blades for one go each and at that I only do one pass on my legs with a couple of touch up strokes.
I'm a big fan of the 7 oclocks but each to their own. When shaving your thigh try pulling the skin taut with your free hand - it made the world of difference to me as for a while I had noticed catching and dragging there , I thought maybe it was my blades dulling by the time I got there but it was just the skin needing to be taut. The same applies for the underarms. Make sure you are using the same hand as the underarm to reach and pull the skin tauter. Yes, you will look like you are doing a monkey impression while doing this

Yup I only use my blades for one go each and at that I only do one pass on my legs with a couple of touch up strokes.
I'm a big fan of the 7 oclocks but each to their own. When shaving your thigh try pulling the skin taut with your free hand - it made the world of difference to me as for a while I had noticed catching and dragging there , I thought maybe it was my blades dulling by the time I got there but it was just the skin needing to be taut. The same applies for the underarms. Make sure you are using the same hand as the underarm to reach and pull the skin tauter. Yes, you will look like you are doing a monkey impression while doing this

Now every time I shave I will think monkey. :lol:

I concur with that recommendation, it's just like us shaving our face; your skin needs to be taunt. It may take a little work and coordination and you'll need to switch hand but you'd have to anyway.

Now every time I shave I will think monkey. :lol:

As long as you don't start screeching like one you should be fine...

Top Bottom