What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

I am personally pleased to see the reaction to this line of products. Maybe the BigBoys will devote more R & D to this area. I read someplace that 70% of shavers report having sensitive skin. Razor burn is a very big problem for me.

Ron I

Its nice to hear so much good about the Skinguard. Ive been enjoying my DSC 4X but Im thinking I may need to pick one of these up and give it a whirl.

Growth: About 2 days.
Soap: Tabac. Face Lather. Post-Shower.
First Pass: Sensor Excel, WTG.
Second Pass: SkinGuard, mainly XTG and WTG; a little bit of ATG action too.

0 Irritation.
The FlexBall and tilting is actually helpful.
For now, though, I'd still say that the Sensor Excel and SkinGuard are both tied.

I'll try to use the SkinGuard by itself with Tabac tomorrow on 1 day of growth.

It's interesting that the SkinGuard doesn't come with the FlexBall handle.

Do you notice any difference in the shave using the "standard" handle vs. the FlexBall handle?

It's interesting that the SkinGuard doesn't come with the FlexBall handle.

Do you notice any difference in the shave using the "standard" handle vs. the FlexBall handle?

I've never used a flexball handle before but I have these trouble spots on the back of my jaw below my ears that take swipes in a few different directions to get smooth, I firmly believe the flexball handle would help to get this area quicker. I've been looking around at different fusion handle options for this exact reason.

The FlexBall makes shaving faster and easier but only once you learn how to use it to your advantage.
It's mainly a speed thing.
Compared to a DE razor: It will lead to less time spent in aligning the razor head and your skin in certain areas.
Compared to a handle without the FlexBall: I'd say it made neck shaving more comfortable. At the very least, it reduces any inadvertent pressure application from the user and channels it toward correct angling.
The back of the jaw is where it helps most.
If you're going from DE shaving to this razor, then, give it like 2 shaves of experience before you decide against it.
There is a learning curve!
DE shaving technique needs to be modified just a little to be adapted to this razor.
Definitely personally against the vibrating handle thing though! It doesn't help and it may even hurt. Tried and it only got in the way of a good shave.

I always got a closer shave on my neck without the flexball as I feel the movement inhibits getting into some areas of the neck.
But, a closer shave on the jawline and chin area with the flexball due to the increased surface contact

It will be interesting if mixing the flexball and skinguard technologies together makes for a better overall shave...

Going on a trip this weekend and I'm bringing nothing for shaving besides the following:

Skinguard razor (about one week use on the cart)
RR Bruce Synth
Bigelow shave cream, small tube
Clubman aftershave

Just gave a test run with this set up a few minutes ago and I'm very pleased. We are staying in a nicer hotel so water and comfort will be no issue.

Shave 4 yesterday with 5 days of growth. I used less ABC seems to work better with less lather. Another BBS No irritation. No razor burn. Next shave Tuesday with 6 days of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres a pro tip about brushes for you: you actually dont need one. You can make lather with a cream just fine with your hands.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, I've actually never been one to need a brush and have many times been one to advocate alternatives (such as barbasol or any cream brushless).

When I was at Wallyworld today, I picked up a Skinguard and just did a shave with it and the Pure cream. The Skinguard is like everyone says, very gentle and mild. It really doesnt even feel like its cutting. I found it to be a bit too mild for me. If a person just wanted a comfortable shave and didnt care about BBS or suffers from razor burn and ingrowns, it certainly would be a good choice.

When I was at Wallyworld today, I picked up a Skinguard and just did a shave with it and the Pure cream. The Skinguard is like everyone says, very gentle and mild. It really doesnt even feel like its cutting. I found it to be a bit too mild for me. If a person just wanted a comfortable shave and didnt care about BBS or suffers from razor burn and ingrowns, it certainly would be a good choice.

My findings exactly. It is a little too mild and that is why it's helped so much.

It is a remarkable instrument. I often have to check the mirror to make sure I have taken the whiskers off. However, if they tweeked it someway I'm afraid they would mess it up. I would prefer a LITTLE more feel, but I will settle for the comfort I get.
Ron I

My findings exactly. It is a little too mild and that is why it's helped so much.

I love my Karve, Raw-10, Timeless Ti & Paradigm but I travel a lot for work and family and have always found (quality) carts wonderful for quick, smooth shaves. I have been really impressed with the Skinguard. It’s built as a perfect 1 to 3 day shaver. With a thinner GromingDept lather the Skinguard is a phenomenal razor.

It’s certainly milder than a Karve E or Timeless .95 but it’s equal in the end result. I’m not going to mow down a heavy 4-7 day forest with the Skinguard but as a weekday/work day shaver I’ve used nothing else that surpasses it.

I was telling my wife about it last night and I think women might actually really like this razor. My wife gets horrible razor burn on her legs, so she only will use single-blade disposables.
Id actually be pretty proud of myself if I could turn my wife from shampoo for shaving and the cheapest disposables you can find to Cremo and a quality razor.

I was telling my wife about it last night and I think women might actually really like this razor. My wife gets horrible razor burn on her legs, so she only will use single-blade disposables.
Id actually be pretty proud of myself if I could turn my wife from shampoo for shaving and the cheapest disposables you can find to Cremo and a quality razor.

I can relate. My wife went from using just water, a flexible huge cartridge thing with 2 sets of 3 blades, and no post shave to using barbasol, a dorco twin cart, and thayers rose witch hazel. She is a champ of blade life, 1 dorco twin cart will last her almost 3 weeks of daily shaves.

This what I ended up bringing on my trip and had a fantastic 3 pass near-bbs last night that 100% passed the "wife test" haha. I'm at 1 week of daily shaves on this cart and it still performs like new. Proraso green foam, skinguard, and Clubman. We are in Orlando and are going to see the Magic lose to Brooklyn tonight, should be a good time.

IMG_20190202_095942929_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom