What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

I agree that this shaving system does not like thick, fluffy, lathers. Besides Cremo what have y'all found that works best ? I am open to a cream with a brush or a canned foam or gel. Thanks in advance.
Ron I

I agree that this shaving system does not like thick, fluffy, lathers. Besides Cremo what have y'all found that works best ? I am open to a cream with a brush or a canned foam or gel. Thanks in advance.
Ron I

For a quick shave, bar soap lathered by hand worked surprisingly well. I wouldn't shoot for BBS this way but I got plenty of slickness for quick WTG and XTG passes. Shave secret oil, Dr Carver's shave butter, the new edge gel in a tube, and any canned product severely watered down all would work fine. I have found one thing that is a minor complaint about this system: If I don't use a brush to lather the razor will miss hairs. I don't mind that much, it helps prevent me from being lazy because it only takes me an extra 5 mins tops to use a brush.

For £9 with 4 carts including the handle (UK special 9ffer at super markets) I'm definitely picking one up tomorrow if I get chance.

Ron I
Watered down Barbasol.
Works well with a brush.
Or, honestly, any thin-lathering shaving soap.
La Toja should work fine.

Watered down Barbasol.
Works well with a brush.
Or, honestly, any thin-lathering shaving soap.
La Toja should work fine.

La Toja does work fine for sure, just load a little less product on your face. I good rule of thumb I've found with this razor is to cut down about 1/2 of your soap/cream (or final lather). So, what I would normally uses for 1-2 passes of a thick fluffly lather would be more then enough for 3+ passes with this razor once it's thinned out.

I also was thinking EZBlade Gel or the Gillette fusion "clear" gel tube or their "body gel" tube for manscaping would all work well, of you don't want to use a brush. I've been experimenting alot and found this razor really needs brush, any other razor would stick cut most of my flat lying hairs with just barbasol, this razor frequently misses flat hairs if you don't lift them with a brush.

Well at Morrisons super market they had a display of this new edition to the Gillette family. No blade packs but a single blade and handle. For a mere £4 what's to loose. So one came home with me. Yet to shave with it but here's how it comes from Morrisons.

Usual hard to open packaging.
IMG_20190124_114235929_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20190124_114229880_HDR~2.jpg

Inside you get 1 blade cart, you can just see both blades on the phone pic.

IMG_20190124_114443724_HDR~2.jpg

And a rather rubbery feeling handle, I ain't going to be dropping this one. Nice grip, weight. Looks good in the chrome, white colours.

IMG_20190124_114458261_HDR~2.jpg

As I say, yet to shave with it, but for £4 I can toss or keep

Well at Morrisons super market they had a display of this new edition to the Gillette family. No blade packs but a single blade and handle. For a mere £4 what's to loose. So one came home with me. Yet to shave with it but here's how it comes from Morrisons.

Usual hard to open packaging.
View attachment 946566 View attachment 946567

Inside you get 1 blade cart, you can just see both blades on the phone pic.

View attachment 946569

And a rather rubbery feeling handle, I ain't going to be dropping this one. Nice grip, weight. Looks good in the chrome, white colours.

View attachment 946568

As I say, yet to shave with it, but for £4 I can toss or keep

Even if you don't like it enough for daily use it's great for quick shaves and travel. I also like the handle look and feel, just not the length. I am a short handle guy when it comes to my DEs so this thing felt huge haha.

Shave wise, it was like my old sensor twin, easy to use and handle. Like others have said the handle is a tadge too long but isn't uncomfortable in the hand. All so these carts prefer a wetter lather and not too thick. The end result was 2 days growth in 3 passes with a couple of touch ups on the neck and as near a BBS as damn it. I'm not a convert but it'll be used like the others in the den, DE, SE Gll, Sensor, Mach and Focus R48.

Shave wise, it was like my old sensor twin, easy to use and handle. Like others have said the handle is a tadge too long but isn't uncomfortable in the hand. All so these carts prefer a wetter lather and not too thick. The end result was 2 days growth in 3 passes with a couple of touch ups on the neck and as near a BBS as damn it. I'm not a convert but it'll be used like the others in the den, DE, SE Gll, Sensor, Mach and Focus R48.

Nice review, thanks!

Shave 3 with 4 days growth. I got a BBS no irritation. I agree with the too much lather with this blade. Will shave Monday with 5 days beard growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested a Gillette Sensor Excel along with a Gillette SkinGuard today.
3 days of growth.
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum.

End result: Truly sublime. One of my best shaves ever!

The SkinGuard's flaws disappeared today.
It left no issues on my neck or anywhere else.
My technique did improve.
It cuts hair without you feeling a damn thing.

Stirling is obviously an amazing soap and I made it take a lot of water to avoid getting the SkinGuard stuck.

I think I figured out how to use the lubricant strips properly without getting annoying gel/goo over your face:
Just run every part of the cartridge under warm water thoroughly before you start your shave.

Sensor Excel and SkinGuard = A+.
Both deserve a place in the modern man's shaving repertoire.

I tested a Gillette Sensor Excel along with a Gillette SkinGuard today.
3 days of growth.
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum.

End result: Truly sublime. One of my best shaves ever!

The SkinGuard's flaws disappeared today.
It left no issues on my neck or anywhere else.
My technique did improve.
It cuts hair without you feeling a damn thing.

Stirling is obviously an amazing soap and I made it take a lot of water to avoid getting the SkinGuard stuck.

I think I figured out how to use the lubricant strips properly without getting annoying gel/goo over your face:
Just run every part of the cartridge under warm water thoroughly before you start your shave.

Sensor Excel and SkinGuard = A+.
Both deserve a place in the modern man's shaving repertoire.

Fantastic report, thanks! I used a fresh skinguard cart with cremo cooling and no brush today which resulted in an absolutely effortless and irritation free BBS on my face, chin, and jaw, and very near BBS on my lower neck. I'm not really a cremo fan, I just had a tube around so I figured I've give it a try. This is the only razor I've ever enjoyed cremo with and I would consider using it again though I still prefer proraso, arko, the new Gillette pure cream, or barbasol. I'm still averaging two weeks +/- per cart and that time frame depends on the frequency of shaves and type of lather used.

Used only the SkinGuard today.
Again with Stirling Bay Rum.
Only 1 day of growth.

I only lifted the razor off my face to wash it like once or twice during the shave.
The fastest shave I've ever had.
It gave me a great socially acceptable shave. 0 effort.

...The Guard is now in last place.

Is that because the multi-blade blade razors are faster? I got a DFS with a Guard every time I toyed with one, however that was back in 2013 & I don't use one anymore as I'm strictly a DE & SE man. I think the only reason men still prefer multi-blade disposables is that they are indeed a faster way to shave. Regardless, I have no desire to return to ingrown hairs caused by them.

They are faster but I only go WTG or XTG in some areas.
Anything more than 2 blades irritates me.
But, Harry's is a notable exception and I think that it works out okay because of the near-parallel angle that its blades make with your skin. It doesn't scratch like Gillette's Fusion5 monstrosities.

Top Bottom