What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

Wash your beards with soap/cleanser thoroughly!
This gets rid of the natural oils and waxes on your beard hair and allows water to penetrate into the hair to soften it. This will make your shave a relative breeze!
If you just apply shaving cream/soap/foam/gel directly: you will suffer!

Razor: Gillette SkinGuard on a "Fusion5 ProShield Power Razor with FlexBall Technology".
Soap: Mike’s Natural - Pine and Cedarwood.
Brush: RazoRock Synthetic Plissoft.
Lather: Warm Water, Face Lather, Regular Mug.

Objective: Conquer a decent 5 days of growth.
Technique:
1 Main WTG Pass and 1 WTG and XTG Touch-Up Pass for missed areas and a closer shave.
I go for a consistent, clean, even, and irritation-free look rather than an ultra-close BBS.
I arrange my face to shave it like the surface of a diamond.

Review:
Great smooth blades.
People are right: you can't even feel this thing.
The excellent prep and DE-based technique we’ve learned here made the experience even better.
The blades truly do all the work.
I applied 0 pressure.
No nicks or irritation.

This razor is only “good” as a maintenance shaver to conquer a short stubble on a “fat/chubby” face with few contours.
This means that you can use it to safely shave every single day.
But, when it comes to conquering 5 days of growth: DEs and the Gillette Sensor have this razor beat with ease.
I’m currently looking for a cartridge razor that I can use for a quick and efficient daily morning shave.
This razor did not allow me to be fast.

The lubrication strips were interesting to say the least.
Once in contact with water, they release some saliva/gel-like substance.
It was weird because when you pull the razor off your skin, you can see some saliva/gel-like fluid connecting the razor to your face.
It almost looked like I had spit on my face. No big deal.
But, I think the bottom lubricating strip is completely unnecessary.
Our shaving lather, gel, and creams do what this bottom strip does.
The top strip kind of functions like a soother, lubricator, and cleaner to help with buffing or to see results.
Both, the Sensor and the SkinGuard have this top strip and it’s good.

This razor is probably best used with something like Cremo after a hot shower or a thorough warm soap wash of the face.
Thick and creamy lather slows it down a lot.
You will repeatedly have to lift it off your skin.
Try a thinner lather.
My Sensor can easily work with thick lather.

Blades were never a problem for Gillette.
Even their DE blades are great.
The form factor in which these blades are placed is an issue.
These modern Gillette razors have heads that are too wide and thick.
Here’s a size comparison I did:
Gillette Sensor: 1x
Gillette SkinGuard: 2.5x
Gillette Guard: 2x
This would be a better razor if they got rid of those stupid microfine and the huge lubricating strip at the bottom.
But, that would mean it turns into a Gillette Sensor!
See where I’m going?

I hate those stupid unrealistic commercials showing a man making a curved pass across his face.
Not practical at all.
The big head makes it difficult and slow to work with contours even with DE training.

As far as aesthetics are concerned: it looks better than the Fusion5s.
BUT: The coolest looking cartridge razor ever is the original Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel.
It is sleek and compact; like a modern smartphone compared to a clunky Blackberry.

One of the things that drove me to DE shaving was the fact that these large heads made shaving uncomfortable and slow.
You have to repeatedly lift and re-apply the razor. Quite annoying.
My first razor was a vibrating Fusion5 with 5 murderous blades.
It worked okay until my “man-baby” facial hair turned into tougher “real-man” facial hair.
I had to resort to using that single trimmer blade at the back of these razors as a main stay.
Then, I started looking into DE razors because fewer blades have got to be better, I thought!
So, this SkinGuard is vast improvement.
For now, I’ll use the SkinGuard on occasion.
But, on a regular basis, maybe the only place I’ll use the SkinGuard and the vibration on is my nape where I like a slow shave.

I am no longer going to use the vibration feature on my face. I don’t think it helps.
There’s a reason why the default handle on the SkinGuard does not vibrate.
It’s useless or even detrimental on sensitive skin.

The Sensor and SkinGuard have the best cartridge blades I’ve ever tried.
DE blades match up but only after you’ve tried a few and picked the ones you like.

Conclusion: Added the SkinGuard to my repertoire. But, the Sensor is my go-to cartridge.

I will now be using my excellent wet shaving prep along with my Sensor to give myself a light daily shave to maintain a consistent look with zero irritation.
That was a great write up thank you for that I'm curious to know since you've tried the Indian Gillette Guard how the SkinGuard and Guard compare to each other? I am a huge fan of the Gillette Guard and have over 200+ refills on those the price is also very affordable, does the SkinGuard make a big enough impact to comfort wise to justify the price difference? Thank you in advance

That was a great write up thank you for that I'm curious to know since you've tried the Indian Gillette Guard how the SkinGuard and Guard compare to each other? I am a huge fan of the Gillette Guard and have over 200+ refills on those the price is also very affordable, does the SkinGuard make a big enough impact to comfort wise to justify the price difference? Thank you in advance
Wow!! That's a lot of refills,but at least you're set for awhile.

I've used both alot, hope this helps:

The skingaurd needs a thin lather... Cremo would probably he great with it. It doesn't clog at all but it can get caught on a thicker lather. It does require a slight amount of pressure and shaves very very close but (for me) not as close as the guard or a DE. It's a great travel razor, shower razor, it's also the only razor I've ever used that allowed me to shave over irritation from a different razor without making it worse.

The guard shaves like a DE for me, very efficient and close. The pivoting action allows me to shave a bit quicker then a DE but I have to be mindful of my pressure as it can bite.

If you are satisfied with the guard, I honestly don't think you will gain anything by using the skinguard. If you have DE troubles, or just want a quick mindless shower shave, then the skinguard could be a saving grace.

I've used both alot, hope this helps:

The skingaurd needs a thin lather... Cremo would probably he great with it. It doesn't clog at all but it can get caught on a thicker lather. It does require a slight amount of pressure and shaves very very close but (for me) not as close as the guard or a DE. It's a great travel razor, shower razor, it's also the only razor I've ever used that allowed me to shave over irritation from a different razor without making it worse.

The guard shaves like a DE for me, very efficient and close. The pivoting action allows me to shave a bit quicker then a DE but I have to be mindful of my pressure as it can bite.

If you are satisfied with the guard, I honestly don't think you will gain anything by using the skinguard. If you have DE troubles, or just want a quick mindless shower shave, then the skinguard could be a saving grace.

I want to address your post regarding SkinGuard vs Guard. You are 100% correct, IMO, about using a thin lather with the SG. I have been using Gillette's dedicated, Pure shave gel, until I read your post. I found it to be good gel, but it piled up too quickly on the razor.
For this morning's shave I used the SG cartridge, mounted on a Bolin-Webb, handle. I used the Cooling, version of Cremo. This proved to be the combo for me. I also think the Guard shaves just about as well, but I like the SG for my daily and the Guard for travel.

Ron I

I want to address your post regarding SkinGuard vs Guard. You are 100% correct, IMO, about using a thin lather with the SG. I have been using Gillette's dedicated, Pure shave gel, until I read your post. I found it to be good gel, but it piled up too quickly on the razor.
For this morning's shave I used the SG cartridge, mounted on a Bolin-Webb, handle. I used the Cooling, version of Cremo. This proved to be the combo for me. I also think the Guard shaves just about as well, but I like the SG for my daily and the Guard for travel.

Ron I

I have been bouncing back and forth between DEs, the skinguard, and the guard for a few weeks now and I'm having a really hard time deciding which I want to keep around. Is it sad that the DEs are in last place? They are fun, feel good in the hand, and have a cool factor but in all honesty... I regularly find a quicker and superior shave with the skinguard or guard.

The first reported shave with a skinguard on this thread was 12/27 which is three weeks tomorrow. Can anyone else comment on blade longevity at this point? I'm still looking at 2 weeks per cart +/-.

So the product officially launched today in the UK.

Picked up the razor with 3 additional heads (so 4 in total) for £9 and the shave gel for £2 as the entire range is currently 50% off until 13th March.

They are also offering the shave foam here in the uk as well but I couldn’t find that in the store - no sign of the shave cream being released in the UK at all.

If you're in the US, try getting a free sample of the SkinGuard via Gillette's website.
That's the only way you can find out.
For me, the SkinGuard did a great job everywhere except the bottom of my neck.
I go upwards to go WTG at the bottom of my neck.
It didn't catch everything up to my standards.
Maybe it's just me and my technique.
I do think it is better than the Guard.
Why?
The Guard's head is too big for just 1 blade.
The pivoting/tilting on the Guard is too loose.
This can lead to an irritating shave.
Just my opinion. Subject to change.

I skipped trying my new DE to give a side by side between the guard and the skinguard. 10+ uses on this skinguard cart (I lost count), fresh unused guard cart. WTG- easy and smooth with both. ATG- the guard tugged very bad and I stopped using it. Finished the shave with the skinguard.

Using the skinguard and also revisiting "smooth" de razors has made me realize how much the guard pulls and tugs. I always felt it before but somehow never noticed.

So with that being said... It's looking like the skinguard may be my daily driver and the DEs are for fun shaves and special occasions.

@Khayes2350 ok, I'll eat crow on my earlier statement. Get the skinguard haha.

I skipped trying my new DE to give a side by side between the guard and the skinguard. 10+ uses on this skinguard cart (I lost count), fresh unused guard cart. WTG- easy and smooth with both. ATG- the guard tugged very bad and I stopped using it. Finished the shave with the skinguard.

Using the skinguard and also revisiting "smooth" de razors has made me realize how much the guard pulls and tugs. I always felt it before but somehow never noticed.

So with that being said... It's looking like the skinguard may be my daily driver and the DEs are for fun shaves and special occasions.

@Khayes2350 ok, I'll eat crow on my earlier statement. Get the skinguard haha.
Haha thank you for the initial response and for the follow up that's just the excuse I needed to get my hands on the SkinGuard!

If you're in the US, try getting a free sample of the SkinGuard via Gillette's website.
That's the only way you can find out.
For me, the SkinGuard did a great job everywhere except the bottom of my neck.
I go upwards to go WTG at the bottom of my neck.
It didn't catch everything up to my standards.
Maybe it's just me and my technique.
I do think it is better than the Guard.
Why?
The Guard's head is too big for just 1 blade.
The pivoting/tilting on the Guard is too loose.
This can lead to an irritating shave.
Just my opinion. Subject to change.
Totally agree with you on the tilting head being too loose I've also found that some refill blades just come out of the package in horrible condition and can cause a ton of irritation but when it's good the shave is smooth, I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on the SkinGuard

I used the Gillette Skinguard today with 2 days grow. I got a BBS with it. Next shave Monday. That will be 3 days growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found some good deals on skinguard refill carts on eBay through two siffdiffe sellers. Between their prices, free shipping, and a $10 eBay coupon I had I was able to buy x2 8 packs and x1 4 pack of carts (20 total) for $30.93 shipped. That's about $1.55 per cart which gives me two weeks of shaves so I'm at $3.10 per month in blades. I know, compared to the guys who get 734 shaves out of 1 DE blade, that's nothing, but I spent usually around $2 a month on DE blades so it's not much more to have much better, quicker shaves.

I found some good deals on skinguard refill carts on eBay through two siffdiffe sellers. Between their prices, free shipping, and a $10 eBay coupon I had I was able to buy x2 8 packs and x1 4 pack of carts (20 total) for $30.93 shipped. That's about $1.55 per cart which gives me two weeks of shaves so I'm at $3.10 per month in blades. I know, compared to the guys who get 734 shaves out of 1 DE blade, that's nothing, but I spent usually around $2 a month on DE blades so it's not much more to have much better, quicker shaves.

That's a good deal.
Ebay has great deals on my Sensor Excels also.
I want to figure out a better way to shave my neck with these.
Then, it might be a good daily driver.

That's a good deal.
Ebay has great deals on my Sensor Excels also.
I want to figure out a better way to shave my neck with these.
Then, it might be a good daily driver.

I've figured out what I need to do, I'm getting a shorter handle. I found a travel handle for the fusion that is just under 3" long, my two favorite DE handles ever are the maggard travel handle and the merkur HD handle (34c, 37c) so this falls just in-between those two length wise. It's about $35 on Amazon and $45-$50 on eBay. I have a long neck, my beard grows almost down to the bottom, and ATG in that area is N to S so I need a short handle or else it hits my collar bone preventing me from keeping steady contact. I can work around it by making that pass slightly more diagonal.

Just realized the typo on my earlier post, my phone's auto correct goes crazy some times lol.

I’m an prior cart (Mach 3) current DE guy. I went out and grabbed one of these at Target after reading this thread. I went through my normal prep (face wash, soap, synthetic brush) and found the lubricant that comes off the razor to be counterproductive to the actual shave. It may be that my lather was too thick and the two didn’t play well, but I had to repreatedly go over spots which led to irritation. It also may be that I haven’t used a cartridge razor in 4 years and I’m not used to handling one again. It seems the razors are marketed towards the cream/foam non-brush “Everyman”. I’ll give it another go using a thinner lather, or maybe something brushless. Either way, it’s nice to see Gillette heading in this direction.

Same experience with the lubricant.
I also hadn't used a modern cartridge razor in a while.
Thin lather is a must with this.
I do like that I can move this thing slowly across my skin.
For me: The Fusion5 is painful if used slowly.

I’m an prior cart (Mach 3) current DE guy. I went out and grabbed one of these at Target after reading this thread. I went through my normal prep (face wash, soap, synthetic brush) and found the lubricant that comes off the razor to be counterproductive to the actual shave. It may be that my lather was too thick and the two didn’t play well, but I had to repreatedly go over spots which led to irritation. It also may be that I haven’t used a cartridge razor in 4 years and I’m not used to handling one again. It seems the razors are marketed towards the cream/foam non-brush “Everyman”. I’ll give it another go using a thinner lather, or maybe something brushless. Either way, it’s nice to see Gillette heading in this direction.

@Wolffer Montauk Is spot on, thinner lather. Cremo works great. If you prefer soap/cream with your brush then simply "water it down" a bit. Meaning, if you would normally add more product (or would have used less water) at that point for a DE shave, you are good to go. This certainly isn't a razor that likes 'fluff' but one that likes slickness. Barbasol was laughably bad to use with this razor and I'm a guy who actually likes barbasol enough to keep in it rotation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom