What's new

Stacking Two Blades in a Gillette New SC?

I recall reading somewhere that the old Gillette Blades were thicker than the new blades. I have a 1930s Gillette New SC that shaves like a the dickens (and causes irritation on spots of my neck). Would stacking two modern blades equate to the older thicker blades and perhaps offer better comfort?

Bonus question- what blades do well for you in a New SC?

I recall reading somewhere that the old Gillette Blades were thicker than the new blades. I have a 1930s Gillette New SC that shaves like a the dickens (and causes irritation on spots of my neck). Would stacking two modern blades equate to the older thicker blades and perhaps offer better comfort?

Bonus question- what blades do well for you in a New SC?
You can make a shim from an old blade. Just clip off the sharp edges with a pair of scissors you don't care about too much.

Putting the shim under the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly milder. Putting the shim on top of the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly more aggressive. What you are actually doing is varying the blade exposure slightly with the shim.

I'm very fond of my New SC replated in nickel. Many blades work well with it. I'd suggest trying Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep, GSB, Nacet or Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack). Blades are notoriously YMMV, though.

Permasharps have become my go to for open comb razors. Used to suffer a lot with them until I tried those. Now much happier. Thinking about trying some of the Russian platinum “Swede” style blades to see how they are in them.

You can make a shim from an old blade. Just clip off the sharp edges with a pair of scissors you don't care about too much.

Putting the shim under the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly milder. Putting the shim on top of the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly more aggressive. What you are actually doing is varying the blade exposure slightly with the shim.

I'm very fond of my New SC replated in nickel. Many blades work well with it. I'd suggest trying Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep, GSB, Nacet or Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack). Blades are notoriously YMMV, though.

Now I'm thinking of a Shim Sandwich.

Top Bottom