What's new

Netflix...Best Current Shows & Why You Like Them?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After 12+ years of rentals and/or streaming, we cancelled Netflix late last month. For several years, their programming has been catering to a younger and younger audience and my wife and I no longer find enough shows we like to justify spending $120 a year. Acorn and Britbox are a much better deal for us.

I love Acorn!

Not a ton of shows but a high percentage of good shows (if you like British tv like me).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Most of the Brit or Aussie shows my wife and I enjoy watching together, like Death in Paradise, have already left Netflix. When old episodes of Father Brown finally leave Netflix for Britbox, it's adios to Netflix. My wife and I are not fans of most "original content" on paid, streaming sites. We'd rather pay for shows we enjoy on Britbox, Acorn or Hulu.

You will like 'Line of duty'. It's a British cop drama and British drama at its finest.

There is; set mostly in Ireland I believe. Derry, on the Northern Ireland/Ireland border if I heard right on the radio.
From wikipedia

Series one was filmed in Birmingham, including pub interiors in the Queen's Arms.[16] Series two, three, four and five were made in Northern Ireland by BBC Northern Ireland. The exact location is never mentioned, although maps of Birmingham appear on walls and telephone numbers use an 0121 area code, again indicating Birmingham. The fictional 01632 phone code is also seen. Various postcodes seen on paper and screen have the Birmingham 'B' or Milton Keynes 'MK' prefix. The police forces referred to are the fictional Central Constabulary and the fictional East Midlands Constabulary.

I loved the Voltron reboot having grown up in the 80s. I watched the original alllllll the time.

if you liked breaking bad definitely give the Ozarks a watch.

I thought Bright was an excellent movie. Reminded me of Shadowrun the role playing game which I was a big fan of and if you have a 4k HDR tv the colors look amazing.

I’d have to say black sails it’s on Stan not Netflix but it’s like pirates of the carrabien but cooler and it has more **** the anything Johnny Depp has made

Some great films I've seen.

The King (2019)
The Rover (2014)
Apache Warrior (2017)
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017)
The Irishman (2019)
Spitfire: The Plane that Saved the World (2018)
Miss Julie (2014)
It Comes at Night (2017)
28 Days Later (2002)
Last Breath (2019)
Icarus (2017)
In Bruges (2008)
Roma (2018)
The Founder (2016)
The Highwaymen (2019)
Senna (2010)
Bird Box (2018)
Hold the Dark (2018)
Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World (2016)
Encounters at the End of the World (2007)
Okja (2017)
The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (2017)
1922 (2017)
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017)
Into the Inferno (2016)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Last edited:
Yes the basic premise is based on real events and a lot of the main protagonists are based on real people. The clever piece of writing was making the series like a prequel to the 'Treasure Island' story by Robert Louis Stevenson, hence the introduction of the fictional character John Silver. Black sails sets the scene for Treasure Island. I thought that was clever.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I really enjoyed this one - Spitfire: The Plane that Saved the World (2018) - partly because it was good and partly because I have an interest in the WW2 era.

A long running, multiple season show I really enjoyed and am watching again is Foyle's War. It is no longer on Netflix where I watched it originally, but it's now on Acorn. My wife is enjoying watching it with me.

Foyle is a policeman in the south of England during WW2. It's a police procedural but a rather charming one. It's also historically very accurate (or so I've read). His son is in the RAF. Guess what his job is? That's right...Spitfire pilot.

What's not to love about the Spitfire?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've been thinking about starting it again. I liked it the first time through. A lot of it is historically accurate too.

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons. Then it kind of ran out of ideas it seemed.
it was incredibly expensive to make, with so many scenes outside, on the water. I think the budget got cut considerably as the show progressed.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I enjoyed the first couple of seasons. Then it kind of ran out of ideas it seemed.
it was incredibly expensive to make, with so many scenes outside, on the water. I think the budget got cut considerably as the show progressed.

It went a bit flat in the middle yeah, but I felt it came back towards the end.

The high production values show. There are some incredible scenes.

Top Bottom