What's new

Name the soaps whose scents can rank as masterpieces?

Here is another one based on a classic Penhaligon scent Blenheim Bouquet:
1675266439600.jpeg

There's so much good stuff out there but for me on scent alone I really really like
Neon Sun by Noble Otter
42 and Vespers by B&M
First Night and Good Vibrations by PAA
Way oh from Oleo/Chicago Grooming was a great homage
I love couto creme/AS I really wish the as scent stayed stronger for longer

What i really like and things quantified as masterpieces by most are likely very different things.
Rad thread all the same.

Can you name soaps whose scents are so special and well blended that they can rank as masterpieces? Post your list below and help us identify the "must have" scents!

1. Please do NOT choose scents on the basis of performance - that's irrelevant for this thread. Just the scent matters.
2. Try and identify soap scents that are special for you - something that stands out above the ordinary
3. If there's a cream or croap scent so good you need to mention it, go ahead and put cream/croap in brackets.

I'll kick it off:
- Wholly Kaw King of Oud
- SV Dolomiti
- Eufros Gea
- Fitjar Folgefonn and Fjellheim
- Truefitt and Hill 1805
- Pre de Provence 63
Because you picked King of Oud, I don't think that my recommendations would be helpful to you :)

I am gonna jump back into this thread and
give props to Penhaligon's Sartorial. My
favorite Pen's scent that was available
as a soap (and a cream). What an amazing
and complex fragrance!

1685174448945.png

It is unfortunate that Penhaligon's stopped
making new soaps and creams. I can only
imagine a soap that smells like The Tragedy
of Lord George?

Slightly unrelated, but do you agree that TOBS scents dont really make it to the "masterpiece" category. They are good soaps/creams/aftershaves, but the scent is always a little tacky, almost a high street feel. On the contrary with the fancy branding, they try to push on us.

I've tried Sandalwood, Cedarwood and Royal Forest.

PdP
Wholly kaw king of oud
TOBS sandalwood
SV felce aromatica
MdC original

B&M Seville (love that bergamot)
Proraso Red (also love the AS)
TOBS Mr Taylors

I used to really love TOBS Eton College, but now not so much.
I dont own alot of soaps (about 6 different ones in total). I ordered the Proraso Red (already had the Proraso Green, which smells quite nice to me) because i was curious about how Sandalwood smells; i dont like the smell at all, to me it smells exactly like the inside of old ladies handbags, very sweet and powdery, really horrible. This kind of smell is really not what i personally want to smell when shaving.

Of course smell is totally something personal, but i was very disappointed.

I want to buy a really citrus smelling soap, but that to me has to smell very sharp and bitter, not sweet at all. I dont dare to buy anything anymore if i cant smell it beforehand, its just too personal apparently.

Felce Aromatica , GEA , Massacre Of The Innocents and lastly , for a sandalwood scent , Proraso Sandalwood “red” is as good as it gets.
I tried Proraso sandalwood (Red tub), wow, incredibly horrible scent to me: smells like inside of old ladies handbags: powdery and sweet. Horrible to me, almost unusable, i tried about 3 times but really horrible for me.

How weird people scent taste can be so completely different, i could not almost imagine any man could like this smell. :c9:

Masterpiece. That’s a hard one. For me it has to be something that has stood the test of time (in general). Or a scent that at least smells like it would be timeless. It has to be something that evokes something in me but could be used daily whilst still making me say ”wow” everytime I use it.

In no particular order:

La Toja shaving cream.

MWF (it is more ”complex than people give it credit for).

Proraso red.

Castle Forbes 1447

PAA CAD.

And maybe a controversial choice, Gillette Foamy or ”regular” as its called here in Europe. The pre reformulated that is. I LOVE the scent of that stuff. I could use it everyday and not need anything else (scentwise).

Honorable mention: TOBS sandalwood.
Wooow, very weird. U find Proraso Red a masterpiece (i find it absolutely horrible, almost unusable, so powdery and sweet, yukkk) and yet you also love the scent of Gillette Foamy (i also have an old formula can) and i really like that smell too.

I find this incredibly weird.

Wooow, very weird. U find Proraso Red a masterpiece (i find it absolutely horrible, almost unusable, so powdery and sweet, yukkk) and yet you also love the scent of Gillette Foamy (i also have an old formula can) and i really like that smell too.

I find this incredibly weird.
Well, that’s the weird thing about scents and fragrances. To each their own. What might smell like a million dollar lottery ticket or fairy dust to me might smell like the aftermath in a festival porta-potty to you. Weird huh?

I dont own alot of soaps (about 6 different ones in total). I ordered the Proraso Red (already had the Proraso Green, which smells quite nice to me) because i was curious about how Sandalwood smells; i dont like the smell at all, to me it smells exactly like the inside of old ladies handbags, very sweet and powdery, really horrible. This kind of smell is really not what i personally want to smell when shaving.

Of course smell is totally something personal, but i was very disappointed.

I want to buy a really citrus smelling soap, but that to me has to smell very sharp and bitter, not sweet at all. I dont dare to buy anything anymore if i cant smell it beforehand, its just too personal apparently.
TOBS grapefruit is one of my favorite citrus scents

Top Bottom