What's new

Choosing the right soaps

Untill now, I've only been using TOBS Sandelwood shavingcream. I planned to treat myself to a Tabac shaving soap in the comming weeks (having used tabac after shave on and of for the last 30+ years). But reading the thread on ' Name the soaps whose scents can rank as masterpieces? ', my list of 'soaps to acquire' grew.
Now this morning, I used a sample of proraso green cream. And I did nog appreciate the menthol-ice-cool attack on my skin at all. Really not my cuppa. So I was wondering how you'd modify my list of 'soaps to acquire' based on liking tabac deo, TOBS sandalwoord and not linking the feeling of menthol-ice, not liking the smell of Irish Moos and Old Spice.
My list:
- Tabac
- Nuavia Blu
- Martin de Candre Fougère
- Wholly Kaw King of Oud
- Barrister and Mann Beaudelaire
- Proraso Red Sandalwood & Karite Butter

Which ones to avoid, what absolutely to add on my list?

Well all those soaps I believe are safe from menthol(only have proraso red and mdc fougere sample), but smell is really personal whether you like them, or not which is why samples area good idea. I do have tabac cologne it's powdery to me, but performance on that soap is supposed to be great so I would try it. The MdC fougere is pretty good not sure it's my type of scent though. A lot of barrister & manns scents are hit, or miss you love them or find them slightly polarizing.

If you don't like the scent of Irisch Moos, then I can't help you. :001_tt2:

(...but I'll try)

If you like the performance of Tabac soap, try Fine Accoutrements in a scent to your liking while it is still available (avoid Snake Bite).

If youre not the kind of guy that rotates through many soaps and can be happy with few, I would get MDC. Works on sensitive skin as well, natural scent, good performance and they recommand to leave it open at all time so you get an air freshner at the same time. I discovered it recently and could live with only that.

Untill now, I've only been using TOBS Sandelwood shavingcream. I planned to treat myself to a Tabac shaving soap in the comming weeks (having used tabac after shave on and of for the last 30+ years). But reading the thread on ' Name the soaps whose scents can rank as masterpieces? ', my list of 'soaps to acquire' grew.
Now this morning, I used a sample of proraso green cream. And I did nog appreciate the menthol-ice-cool attack on my skin at all. Really not my cuppa. So I was wondering how you'd modify my list of 'soaps to acquire' based on liking tabac deo, TOBS sandalwoord and not linking the feeling of menthol-ice, not liking the smell of Irish Moos and Old Spice.
My list:
- Tabac
- Nuavia Blu
- Martin de Candre Fougère
- Wholly Kaw King of Oud
- Barrister and Mann Beaudelaire
- Proraso Red Sandalwood & Karite Butter

Which ones to avoid, what absolutely to add on my list?

Welcome to B&B, Sir Ligeti!
Looks like you're already on a great path!
Your wish list also looks solid!
Enjoy the journey!

La Toja just has a fresh scent to me in stick form, ocean breeze and linen as many describe it. But once smashed into a bowl seems to develop a little bit of a pleasant tobacco leaf note around that.

Back in the day when I smoked I'd purchase a delicious Virginian/Perique pipe blend by the pound from Cornell and Diehl as a daily driver. The smashed La Toja reminds me of that blend.

Last edited:
La Toja just has a fresh scent to me in stick form, ocean breeze and linen as many describe it. But once smashed into a bowl seems to develop a little bit of a pleasant tobacco leaf note around that.

Back in the day when I smoked I'd purchase a delicious Virginian/Perique pipe blend by the pound from Cornell and Diehl as a daily driver. The smashed La Toja reminds me of that blend.
I read an interesting post (can’t remember if it was here or on another forum) where someone used fresh pipe tobacco to “season” an unscented soap. I don’t smoke but it’s something I always thought would be interesting to try!

I think LNHC's tobacco and bay is a great scent.

As well as SV Felce if you enjoy fresh clean fougere scents.

Proraso Red that has already been mentioned is a great one as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Head to Shavedash and get yourself some samples ordered. After a while, you'll develop a sense of what might work for you, and what might not.

I’m still trying to find a soap (a cream will do, if a soap can’t be found) that *functions* as well as Palmolive sticks.

Not interested in form, hype or perfume, purely function. (Thick, creamy, lubricating microfoam). In 30+ years I haven’t found anything comparable & I’m running out 😢

Top Bottom