What's new

Naked Pucks

When you put a puck that doesn't come in its own container, like Ogallala, into a shaving mug, do you cover it or do you just leave it open?

Open. YMMV. :cuppa:

IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg

I use plastic storage tubs (5 for $1 from Dollar General) to store soap pucks. Picture shows one to start the FFFMM challenge, lid is not shown.

F4March.JPG

Recently, I merged my Proraso Green and Red into one container. Both pucks were well used, and when melted down, folded together nicely. Will shave with it tomorrow (11 Apr 2020).

I put them in an old TfOBS cream bowl of which I have many. If the soap is in daily use it does not need covering. Mitchell's Wool Fat is the only one I have used that way. Cella and Proraso come in their own plastic bowls.

I was on the fence about this until this virus pandemic occurred. I did a bit of research on the topic of hard soap versus liquid soap for hand washing and hard soap seems to be the better option when left to dry in the air.

Yes, there is some bacteria on the soap bar but it is usually easily sloughed off when whetted. However, on liquid soap the bacteria tends to accumulate on and around the dispenser and gets mixed in with the liquid soap so it is not quite as sanitary.

A hard soap that is covered when wet is ideal place for bacteria to live and multiply. Having said that, if you are the only one using your soap and covering it, if you like, it probably won't hurt you. Think of re-using your toothbrush - you wouldn't want to share another's toothbrush but re-using your own seems just fine.

I see hand soap and shaving soap the same so I now leave everything out to air dry even though I am the only one that uses either product. My wife has her soaps, I have mine.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician so do not take the above as any kind of medical advise. I am only reporting what I have found and what I am doing after some Internet research on the topic.

I was on the fence about this until this virus pandemic occurred. I did a bit of research on the topic of hard soap versus liquid soap for hand washing and hard soap seems to be the better option when left to dry in the air.

Yes, there is some bacteria on the soap bar but it is usually easily sloughed off when whetted. However, on liquid soap the bacteria tends to accumulate on and around the dispenser and gets mixed in with the liquid soap so it is not quite as sanitary.

A hard soap that is covered when wet is ideal place for bacteria to live and multiply. Having said that, if you are the only one using your soap and covering it, if you like, it probably won't hurt you. Think of re-using your toothbrush - you wouldn't want to share another's toothbrush but re-using your own seems just fine.

I see hand soap and shaving soap the same so I now leave everything out to air dry even though I am the only one that uses either product. My wife has her soaps, I have mine.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician so do not take the above as any kind of medical advise. I am only reporting what I have found and what I am doing after some Internet research on the topic.
A virus is not a bacterium and vice versa.

viruses don't do well on soaps or ionic materials.

I am finding it harder and harder to find naked pucks with minimal packaging, e.g. Fine Accoutrements now only sell soaps in tubs. I already have tubs. I don't want to pay for more tubs!

I reuse containers from other soap companies. In my cabinet, I'm currently reusing containers from Stirling, TOBS, and Pereira.

I had specifically bought one of the empty Parkway Plastics containers from Stirling to house my AOS soap since they are so nice.

Why would I cover it?

I press Arko into a bowl, only thing that happens is after a long period of time is Arko loses its scent and becomes odorless.

Soap refill, after somewhat dry, gets wrapped in plastic or wax paper, returned to original box if available, then stored in plastic bin under the vanity.

shaving storage.jpg

Top Bottom