What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Thank you.

I should have done something productive with those two this weekend, but the time just flew by.

I must have been having fun. I'll ask my wife. She'll know.

:)
I've wanted one of those in blotted Dressants for a long time. Once Tolliver put in some time on it let me know if o should burn more money on something that not naguras, one of which isn't moving. I love the look of the upper layer Dressants. The ink splotches remind me of ink quills and I love it.

Legion

Staff member
Pumice is also used the clean mineral scale from a hard surface. Medieval CLR
Apparently the romans used it to scrub off beard stubble. So that would have been nice, with a splash of skin bracer.

32933D5C-D853-4BFC-AA05-35293B100BBA.jpeg

The mystery is, obviously that is not a surgical black ark. From whati have researched thesecame in, surgical black and oilstone. No idea how old it is but it is barely use. Had a little oil staining. Also the honing surfaces are not flat. You can feel speed bumps on it with your hand. I guess to slow down fast honers? 😝

Attachments

• 20220725_062735.jpg
    20220725_062735.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220725_062744.jpg
    20220725_062744.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 15

Legion

Staff member
The mystery is, obviously that is not a surgical black ark. From whati have researched thesecame in, surgical black and oilstone. No idea how old it is but it is barely use. Had a little oil staining. Also the honing surfaces are not flat. You can feel speed bumps on it with your hand. I guess to slow down fast honers? 😝
AG Russell are a reputable knife dealer, so I doubt they would of mess up like that. I’d guess someone popped a random soft Ark into an 80’s? Russell box.

Looks like the stone they sell in the "oilstone" box. My guess is the owner had both and they worked their way into the wrong box. But i still do not know what the "oilstone" is. Soft, washita, etc.

Looks like the stone they sell in the "oilstone" box. My guess is the owner had both and they worked their way into the wrong box. But i still do not know what the "oilstone" is. Soft, washita, etc.
That stone is the AG Russell version of a Washita/ soft I believe. I've got a small black one from AG Russell and it's a translucent black. Crazy good stone.

The stones are often standard sizes. I recently bought a Crystolon stone online, thinking it was a oil caked washita, because it was in a vintage Pike LWW box. It happens.
I am sure it does. Pretty sure it is still a ark tho. have not taken a real good look at it yet.

That stone is the AG Russell version of a Washita/ soft I believe. I've got a small black one from AG Russell and it's a translucent black. Crazy good stone.
That is was i was assuming. Now i need to find a surgical black in an oil stone box....
Good thing i just acquired a new lapping plate for SiC powder.

Attachments

• 20220724_202645.jpg
    20220724_202645.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220724_202649.jpg
    20220724_202649.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a washita to me. Could even be an AG Russel as someone indicated. Maybe original owner owned both/bought them as a set and the boxes got mixed up at some point?

I saw that one online and tried hunting the label down for a while with no luck, I figured it was stuck on crooked which makes it even more difficult to ID. It has the heavy chamfers of the French hones.

Ah interesting, I didn't know that about the chamfer style.

Sounds quite possible... I suspect this one's gonna come up purple.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The stones are often standard sizes. I recently bought a Crystolon stone online, thinking it was a oil caked washita, because it was in a vintage Pike LWW box. It happens.

Anyone want to venture what a vintage cardboard Hatanaka box is worth in Japan, that anyone could put a generic JNat into?

Were the backside/labeled side of French stones chamferred like that? I don't have any on me atm, but I remember the backside corners being sharp, not chamferred at all unless Im going nuts.

That definitely looks like a French stone chamfer though, so maybe not original label? Just something that got stuck to the face of the stone?

Top Bottom