What's new

MY PYRAMID FOR A GREAT SHAVE

If I were making a pyramid diagram to show the priorities of shaving, and where the emphasis should go, it would look like this --

The base of the pyramid (the largest section) would be labeled TECHNIQUE. What you actually do with the razor is the most important thing.

Moving up, the next section would be PREP - proper washing and hydration of the face is crucial.

Next... there would be a section labeled EQUIPMENT. This would be the razor itself and the blades. What's best here will vary tremendously from person to person.

The section above this, narrowing to the point, would be PRODUCTS. These are the creams, oils, aftershaves, etc. They are less important than the 3 lower bases, but they do add something and are highly enjoyable.

As I have stated before, I am amazed at how I can get a great shave with inferior soaps and creams. Surely, there is no need to spend a lot on a fancy cream. Even ones with a great scent, however beautiful, will simply be washed off your face anyway, so other than enjoying that scent during the shave, what does that scent add?

To me, a tube of Prorasso is a bargain and will give you as great a shave as anything. I can achieve a great with even lesser products than this.

Dear @Christoph thank you for sharing. I had a few minutes to spare and I made a pyramid for you, hope that you don't mind.

full

I get awesome shaves with inferior "PRODUCTS". I know that might rub some people the wrong way as they place importance and value in products. And heck, I LOVE Those products too. But I think that for those new to classic shaving, this pyramid is important. What I mean is, it should be important to tell the uninitiated that after handing over 70 bucks for a good razor, and 30 bucks for several years of razor blades, they can have awesome, satisfying shaves for pennies per week. It can be done! This should be one of the big draws of classic shaving, in my view.

I get awesome shaves with inferior "PRODUCTS". I know that might rub some people the wrong way as they place importance and value in products. And heck, I LOVE Those products too. But I think that for those new to classic shaving, this pyramid is important. What I mean is, it should be important to tell the uninitiated that after handing over 70 bucks for a good razor, and 30 bucks for several years of razor blades, they can have awesome, satisfying shaves for pennies per week. It can be done! This should be one of the big draws of classic shaving, in my view.

Well stated. For me I do not need to spend a lot to get a good effect, but I enjoy the history that vintage instruments provide.

Yes, technique is king in my book.

The blade is as important as a '59 Fatboy or '55 red tip, but that does not stop the hunt. :)

Exactly! I am in the $1 razor challenge and we are getting some good shaves out of them. I am really surprised.

But $100 buy in is still too much IMO. You can get a vintage Gillette for less than $10 depending on model. Omega brush $10, 100 Astra for $10. Arko or Williams with a face lather and you are set. Just add water. Ok ... so I’m cheap :001_rolle

I agree! I have been wetshaving since 2012 But was killing soaps 3017 style, and not concentrating on technique. Came back to B&B and found my angle and technique needed some honing. I would agree overall with the pyramid but new hardware and software up the enjoyment of the shave. After all we started this DE thing to save money [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the money saving is a massive joy of classic shaving. Do not get me wrong, I love the pricey stuff. I have had Blenheim Bouquet aftershave (not the cologne but the aftershave!), Knize Ten, and many other great scents. I have used Taylor of Old Bond Street and Truefitt and Hill - I adore these products for their scent and overall effectiveness, but I can get a great shave with Prorasso and even with third rate soap if I just do it right. The shaves I had 15 - 20 years ago - forget it! But with technique and proper prep I advanced things so much that the quality of cream or soap is almost inconsequential.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think this sequence of priorities is absolutely right.

Product is lowest priority for me. This is why I have no interests in exploring different soaps. The first two I tried (for home and travel) work fine, so that was the end of the exploration for me. Simple as that.

The same happened with my brush. I bought a cheap one, and it works. No more thought required.

As to razors, I can get a great shave with a Wilkinson Sword Classic or a Gillette Super Click. Anything made of metal is a bonus.

Blades. Providing it's ground properly (and I've had ones that weren't) I can get a decent shave with them. I chuck them away when they're spent, and not before. The amount of shaves varies.

Prep is important, and it's harder to cut corners here than with the equipment and product. Skimp here, and it will affect the shave.

Technique is everything, and can make up for deficiencies and variations in each of the other categories, whereas none of the other categories can compensate for deficiencies in technique.

Rather than a pyramid, this to my mind should be more like a sandwich, and technique is the bread. It encapusates everything and makes everything else relevant. Without it, you just have a pile of ingredients and one heck of a mess.

I think of it as a Venn diagram, with the circles overlapping to various degrees. When it all goes right, you’re in an overlap zone with all circles involved.

I like the old DE razors so it's not all about cutting whiskers for me. What I have found out is the wonderful availability of interesting blades. So, I got an assortment and love trying them out.

I use Lanolin Barbasol and Aqua Velva, don't imagine I'll be buying soaps, dishes, and brushes as long as I continue to get the results I am achieving right now. I do plan to have more razors....LOL$$$

I think this sequence of priorities is absolutely right.

Product is lowest priority for me. This is why I have no interests in exploring different soaps. The first two I tried (for home and travel) work fine, so that was the end of the exploration for me. Simple as that.

The same happened with my brush. I bought a cheap one, and it works. No more thought required.

As to razors, I can get a great shave with a Wilkinson Sword Classic or a Gillette Super Click. Anything made of metal is a bonus.

Blades. Providing it's ground properly (and I've had ones that weren't) I can get a decent shave with them. I chuck them away when they're spent, and not before. The amount of shaves varies.

Prep is important, and it's harder to cut corners here than with the equipment and product. Skimp here, and it will affect the shave.

Technique is everything, and can make up for deficiencies and variations in each of the other categories, whereas none of the other categories can compensate for deficiencies in technique.

Rather than a pyramid, this to my mind should be more like a sandwich, and technique is the bread. It encapusates everything and makes everything else relevant. Without it, you just have a pile of ingredients and one heck of a mess.

I have a decent collection of Gillette DEs ranging from the 1930s to the 1960s including Aristocrats and Fatboys. I also have a few Merkurs and the Merku 38c is what I use pretty much all the time. I have a few brushes and they are all of very good quality, so to be honest its been many years since i used a lousy brush, although I am sure I shaved with no brush a few times when traveling. I mainly use very ordinary Derby blades, although I have some others. But you can give me ANY cheap soap and it'll do just fine as long as we're goo din the other categories. Its been so long since I had a bad shave.

If you had asked me 15-16 years ago when I first made the return to DEs, I would have told you that I had "sensitive skin" or that I was prone to razor burn or something like that. But today I really have no idea what that was all about, as my shaves are so good and there is no evidence of any skin disturbance or irritation.

If I may make one more point as I reflect on why I am dogmatic about not needing high quality creams or soaps... I would rather put my money into things like great fragrances or aftershaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I may make one more point as I reflect on why I am dogmatic about not needing high quality creams or soaps... I would rather put my money into things like great fragrances or aftershaves.

I buy Nivea Sensitive Balm at <£3 per bottle :D

Following on from this point though, I do use unscented soap and balm. When I do apply a fragrance, it doesn't have to fight with residual odours from pre-shave (water), soap (MWF), or post shave (alum and Nivea Sensitive Balm when I use them). It saves having to mix and match, and going through a number of failed pairings before you find things that work.

Top Bottom