What's new

My New Vorpal Blade

I thought a vorpal weapon severed the head on a critical hit (natural 20) with the critical being confirmed by the second roll (3.5e anyway).

oh and nice razor too.

From the DD Wiki:

Vorpal

Prefix
Base price modifier: +5
Only found on: Slashing weapons
Effect: A vorpal weapon can instantly kill most kinds of creatures. On an attack roll of a natural 20 which is also confirmed as a critical hit, and if the enemy has 1000 or fewer HP, the enemy's "head is cut off".
There's no special animation shown on a successful vorpal. Aside from a blueish coloration that appears, the monster simply dies.
If the enemy has more than 1000 HP, or is otherwise immune to instant kills (e.g., red- or purple-named enemies) they instead take 100 points of bane damage.
Some items may have a stacking effect which is produced in the event of a vorpal roll, such as Vulkoor's Cunning, and Shocking Blow on Charged Gauntlets.
These creatures are immune to vorpal's instant death or bane damage, generally because they do not have a head, or do not need a head to survive:
Undead (except vampires)
Constructs (except Warforged)
Beholders
Oozes
Also, the Deathblock and Deathward effects prevent vorpal. Fortification, however, does not.
[edit]Trivia
The term comes from "Jabberwocky," the famous poem by Lewis Carroll, where a hero has a special sword that severs his enemy's head with a "snicker-snack" sound.
Not-so-incidentally, Kasquick the Mighty, a fearsome kobold general in The Shroud, attacks with a vorpal blade that, if he is successful in attacking you, shows gruesome messages in your Combat log:
(Combat) You are hit by Kasquick the Mighty's vorpal.
(Combat) Snick-snack went the vorpal blade, and it removed your head, killing you instantly.
Category: Weapon prefixes

The Githyanki are all armed with Vorpal blades, or at least they used to be according to the old DD rules. Fearsome enemies to be sure.

Hope i never make a Critical hit with that razor lol.

strop

Now half as wise
:001_huh::confused1

I'm guessing this has something to do with video games.

I guess my custom title is appropriate.:lol:

:001_huh::confused1

I'm guessing this has something to do with video games.

I guess my custom title is appropriate.:lol:

DD stands for Dungeons and Dragons. Played with paper, pencil, and dice from 4 sided to twenty (I think). I got a full dice set around here some where.....

strop

Now half as wise
I remember my boys' collection of those cards! They are probably in some box in the basement.

Legion

Staff member
It was an instant beating by the tough guys at my school if you were seen messing with funny shaped dice. I never risked it. :lol:

There was an RPG thread a while back. Time to ressurect it!

Apologies to the OP for running this off he tracks.
we would like to see pics if you can swing it.

Top Bottom