What's new

Neck irritation

Good morning gents. I recently started wearing a tie everyday for a new job and need some advice. My shave routine is not irritating my neck but being in a collared shirt and tie all day is the culprit I assume. Any advice ?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sorry - that sounds pretty uncomfortable. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is trying a shirt with a neck size 1/2" bigger. It doesn't look quite as "crisp" but it still looks appropriately dressy.

Softer shirt material would probably do the same thing, but wouldn't look as crisp either. I did feel (but not purchase) some $225 dress shirts in Cole Hann (as I recall) many years ago that were beautiful and incredibly soft. I expected to be thrown out of the store at any minute because I kept calling my wife over to feel the shirts. That wouldn't be an acceptable choice for me (probably $300 by now), but certainly there must be some shirts that are softer feeling than others.

You're eating to much red meat causing the veins in your neck to expand which in turn causes the shirt collar to feel tight, you could try using a clip on tie.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Shirts and ties may be the culprits. Buy shirts with exact, to the half inch, sizing, not S,M,L,XL. Stick with all cotton, preferably not treated to be wrinkle free. Iron them at home, with no starch. Do not cinch your tie tighter than a comfortably fitting collar.

Good morning gents. I recently started wearing a tie everyday for a new job and need some advice. My shave routine is not irritating my neck but being in a collared shirt and tie all day is the culprit I assume. Any advice ?
Has been so long since I wore shirt and tie I forget people still dress like that. Recall expierencing the same thing years ago, and no cure but not shaving neck so close.

Thanks to all that actually helped with their responses. For everyone else, I really don’t care but it was a mistake posting in wrong area. These damn pop ups always in the way. I’m sure all of you who added your wise remarks never made a mistake in your lives. Enjoy your meals.

You might try talc powder. You can get it unscented. Smooths some of the friction.

+1 to talc; not one that is cornstarch based.
A good close shave everyday helps me, otherwise my course neck hair destroys the collars of my shirts which in turn makes my neck angry. Also I agree that having a looser fitting collar may help.

+1 to talc; not one that is cornstarch based.
A good close shave everyday helps me, otherwise my course neck hair destroys the collars of my shirts which in turn makes my neck angry. Also I agree that having a looser fitting collar may help.
Thanks, I will give that a try. I already bought those stupid neck extenders for the top button. They help with the collar fitting a little less snug, but nothing for the irritation. The problem is I’m between a 16.5 and 17 shirt. 17 is swimming on me lol.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No I haven’t, my routine is usually in the shower. Maybe I will try that just for my neck. Thank you
I became a contributor way before the ads started showing up.... B&B was worth way more to me than the $25 a year for the lowest contributor level. I can see why it's more difficult when you first show up and are bombarded by ads... but if you hang around a bit, you're bound to get way more than your money's worth here. This group of people are kind, knowledgeable and more than willing to help out those who seek advice on so many topics, including wet shaving, of course.

Top Bottom