What's new

My journey

Monday shave:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Red pre-shave cream
Lather: La Toja stick, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline (2)
Aftershave: Supply Healing AS, Nivea AS balm

I face lathered using the La Toja stick. 2-pass shave plus touch-up for a CCS+/DFS result. I did not use a new blade, as originally planned. Very mild sting from the Supply aftershave, perhaps just a tad more than Saturday. Skin nonetheless felt great all day. If I were to rate the previous 2 shaves as 10, this would be a 9.

To conclude the experiment, tomorrow I’ll bowl lather with Tabac soap.

Tuesday shave:

Lather: Tabac stick, bowl lathered, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline (3)
Aftershave: Supply Healing AS, PdP 63 AS balm

I bowl lathered using the Tabac stick. 3-pass shave plus touch-up for a DFS+ result. NO STING from the Supply aftershave, skin felt GREAT!

I can conclude that a) my preshave routine is fine, b) Tabac, whether face or bowl lathered provides an outstanding cushion, better than La Toja, c) with my current technique and a new Proline blade, I can get at least 3 irritation-free shaves, maybe more. I’ll continue with Tabac for the next several shaves to see if I can surpass my previous limit of 5.

Last 2 shaves I’d rate an 8-9/10. Again, some stinging from the aftershave, but mild, and more so yesterday than today.

Funny thing happened yesterday while face lathering with the Tabac stick. I again managed to clog the razor, even though I felt the lather was sufficiently hydrated and “ready”. I don’t know if this is a function of the razor and its tight, compact head or my lathering technique? I wound up adding water to the point it became thin and lost slickness. I blame some of the stinging to the over-hydrated lather.

Today, I face lathered with MdC, and the lather was perfect. Still some mild stinging, maybe due to 5th use of the Proline blade? My skin nonetheless feels great, so 9/10.

Debating whether to bid the blade or keep going?

TGIF shave:

Lather: AoS Sandalwood, face lathered; Mühle Vivo Black Fiber synthetic brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline (1)
Aftershave: Supply Healing AS, AoS Sandalwood AS balm

I’ve had this persistent very slight burning sensation with the Proraso Red pre-shave cream that was accentuated with the AoS Sandalwood cream, even before the blade was applied to the face. 2-pass shave for a DFS face and CCS neck, but lots of stinging with the aftershave. Not every day is going to be a great shave day, and I just proved to myself that I can’t count on a fresh blade to deliver if lather and/or technique is poor, or if the skin just needs a break, or if I’m developing a sensitivity to Sandalwood cream? Is that possible? Funny thing is, the AoS Sandalwood balm was still soothing.

I don’t have much left in the tub, and I definitely was looking forward to 3017’ing my first cream/soap. Not sure what to do...

Use them to break in a natural fiber brush.

I just bough a new Yaqi Sagrada Familia off BB Marketplace, not because I needed a brush, but because it was attractively priced. That’ll be my 5th synthetic brush. What’s the attraction to animal fibers, when synthetics offer similar performance with no break in period?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What’s the attraction to animal fibers, when synthetics offer similar performance with no break in period?

Let’s say you have a soap or preshave whose scent pleases your senses, but irritates where you shave…

Also, while I believe my Maggards ‘tuxedo’ synthetic is generally superior to my Ω10048 boar, the boar’s lather had a different quality than what I normally experience. Like the lather held more water while being less runny. Everything else points to the synthetic: no shedding, fast drying, no dead pig staink.

Other than a potentially better feeling lather, the need for a ded anml bruzh is lost on me, too.

thombrogan

@sarir97 - a correction. I got the same lather using my Maggards ’tuxedo’ synthetic last night. It was my mix of soap (mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax).

I will cease singing praises for the tedium of fibers made from life that existed during the age of humans. Still like my brush, but now that I know the hella good lather was from a soap I underestimated and not the magic of piggy whiskers, my previous praise must be not only tempered, but fully annealed.

Skipped Saturday, shave today. Still used the Proraso Red preshave, face lathered with Zingari Man’s The Magician. Nice 3-pass shave, still some minor stinging in the neck area. Gratuitous picture below:

proxy.php

Am I making too big of a deal from this minor stinging? I mean, some use alcohol-based aftershaves and actually look forward to the burn! I might try alum tomorrow to see whether I get “feedback”. That might clue me in as to whether my technique needs further refinement.

Yesterday, I bought some soap samples from Sterling Soap Co (Executive Man, Barbershop, Sheep), along with their pre-shave soap. I’m looking forward to see how the pre-shave soap compares to the Proraso Red preshave cream.

Also, my son took up wet shaving yesterday, I taught him how to build up lather and “gifted” him a Simpson brush, my Captain’s Choice bowl, what was left of my AoS Sandalwood cream, and a relatively unused and unscented LpL soap. He used a Mach 3 for his first shave. When is the right time to introduce him to DEs or SEs? I don’t want him cutting up his face... it may dissuade him from pursuing the hobby.

Skipped Saturday, shave today. Still used the Proraso Red preshave, face lathered with Zingari Man’s The Magician. Nice 3-pass shave, still some minor stinging in the neck area. Gratuitous picture below:

proxy.php

Am I making too big of a deal from this minor stinging? I mean, some use alcohol-based aftershaves and actually look forward to the burn! I might try alum tomorrow to see whether I get “feedback”. That might clue me in as to whether my technique needs further refinement.

Yesterday, I bought some soap samples from Sterling Soap Co (Executive Man, Barbershop, Sheep), along with their pre-shave soap. I’m looking forward to see how the pre-shave soap compares to the Proraso Red preshave cream.

Also, my son took up wet shaving yesterday, I taught him how to build up lather and “gifted” him a Simpson brush, my Captain’s Choice bowl, what was left of my AoS Sandalwood cream, and a relatively unused and unscented LpL soap. He used a Mach 3 for his first shave. When is the right time to introduce him to DEs or SEs? I don’t want him cutting up his face... it may dissuade him from pursuing the hobby.
Right now, a lot of guys here started shaving when there were no such thing as cartridge razors.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Today was MdC Monday. 2-pass shave, using pure glycerin soap pre-shave and in between passes. Some touchups for a DFS result. Alum STUNG LIKE HECK! Way more than my non-alcoholic witch hazel / aloe concoction. I’m disappointed and a bit discouraged. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, and how to further refine my technique. I think I may try a different blade. The Kai Pink is intriguing.

I’m disappointed and a bit discouraged. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, and how to further refine my technique.

Just give it time. I'm not quite sure how it happens, but technique improves gradually all by itself. A change of blade can make a big difference but is no guarantee. That's the one downside with SE. Blade choice. However, most SE users are perfectly happy with what's available.

Stinging and irritation is caused by: the wrong blade for your skin and hair type; the wrong angle; too much pressure; over shaving; poor lather, esp. not enough lubrication; brush burn; chemical irritation. Identifying the culprit can be tricky. The majority of the time it's a technical error. Stick in there, it'll all come together in the end!

Kai Pinks are on order, arriving Wednesday. I also ordered the open comb Vector baseplate; the thought of leaving some lather behind to aid with glide and slickness seems appealing. Not clogging the razor is added bonus.

thombrogan

Am I making too big of a deal from this minor stinging? I mean, some use alcohol-based aftershaves and actually look forward to the burn!

This has been oscillating in my hamster wheel since reading it.

I don’t know what’s causing the irritation from the preshave application. Is it residual damage that’s sensitive to the preshave ingredients (might not be the sandalwood and your Proraso and AoS might use different species or different parts of the same tree if it is, but it might not).

If you can take time off from shaving, it may help. If your whiskers threaten to flay you and everyone you hug, I’d suggest continuing with the ”no indentation” method and maybe even WTG-only with that method until your skin calms.

The aftershave sting/burn happens after the blade is put down. Obviously, the desire is related to endorphins and a supersadomasochisticexpialodocious mindset (like buying a pretty razor with a giant price tag - we’re all there…), but there is truth that the alcohol also has antiseptic properties.

Not clogging the razor is added bonus.

It looks darned awesome, too.

Stinging and irritation is caused by: … over shaving; … brush burn; … chemical irritation.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m not one to give up, though you may catch me cheating from time to time with a Mach 3 (as I did Tuesday).

What’s over shaving? Do you mean an obsession with BBS, or daily shaving? What’s brush burn? I think I understand chemical irritation… maybe that’s what I was experiencing these last couple of shaves with the AOS Sandalwood.

Top Bottom