What's new

My journey

Saturday early evening shave, 1.5 days of growth:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Red, glycerin soap
Lather: AoS Sandalwood, Mühle Vivo Black Fiber brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline blade (4)
Aftershave: Supply Healing aftershave, Nivea aftershave balm

Some razor burn / stinging today compared with yesterday. I can’t blame the pre-shave routine, as it was the same as yesterday. So what gives? Perhaps I applied more pressure than I should have? Is the Proline just too sharp? Should I trade efficiency for the ‘safety’ and smoothness of a guarded blade? I think @thombrogan may be right, there’s something off with my technique.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
thombrogan may be right

Something’s not right!

Is your skin conditionally sensitive to sandalwood-like fragrances? I can use such soaps as washing/bathing soaps without issue, but they amplify the irritation I cause myself with a rough shave. Your preshave didn’t seem to cause you irritation, so maybe you’re able to enjoy the scent while shaving or maybe someone on Old Bond Street (or “alte Bond straße” as they say in the American Southwest) isn’t as good at the sandalwood experience as the peeps from Proraso.

However, instead of meditating on the merits of the Feather Proguard and Kai P!nk Protouch MG blades or burning the TOBS for daring to be a suspect, would you be open to trying an experiment with your next shave?

The experiment suggested is this: Look at your skin where the cap and/or comb touches your skin while shaving. A mirror may need to be wiped once or twice during your shave for this. What you want to see is if the razor is indenting your skin at any point during the shave. If it never indents, the problem isn’t pressure and likely isn’t angle.

And if it does, it’s the same culprit in my last few shaves. Not good for your skin nor winning anyone over to your wish to shave daily. However, if something does make anyone my twinsie, shaving with too much pressure is the least harrowing trait to share.

Just catching up with this thread. The shaving looks to be coming along nicely. The non shave related parts are always welcome in the journals section.

Yesterday, my youngest son played an outstanding game minding the net to help his team win the 10U AA state championship. He was named MVP. Not shave related, but a proud dad moment worth mentioning.
proxy.php

Nice. The other team stood no chance with Roger Federer on the coaching staff.

hockey.jpeg

Nice. The other team stood no chance with Roger Federer on the coaching staff.

Alas, we could’ve used Roger Federer again tonight... My oldest son played for the state Division 3 high school championship, but his team unfortunately fell short. The loss wasn’t unexpected; the opposing team is a powerhouse and frankly should’ve played in Division 2. On the ‘bright’ side, he did make it to the All-Academic team!

Last team picture, bottom right, wearing number 20:
proxy.php

Monday morning shave, 1.5 days of growth:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Red pre-shave cream,
Lather: MdC Nature, Simpson Trafalgar T2 brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline blade (5 - binned)
Aftershave: Supply Healing aftershave, PdP 63 aftershave balm

Slight change to my pre-shave routine: the Proraso cream was applied and massaged into a damp rather than wet face. Just before lathering, I wet the face again with hot water but did not wash with glycerine soap (time saving). I made multiple short strokes and applied the least amount of pressure to avoid indenting the skin, per recommendation. Overall less efficient and longer shave, but also much less stinging from the Supply Healing AS compared with yesterday. Overall great shave.

I’m curious why the Supply AS with witch hazel and aloe even stings; it’s not supposed to have alcohol. Looking forward to finishing it and switching to Thayer’s.

Proline blade binned after 5th use. I’ve had bad experiences every time I’ve extended it beyond that. I have one Feather Proguard blade left and will use it for at least 6+ shaves to see how the skin fares.

thombrogan

Glad to read you weren’t stung by aftercare products today. If/when I scrape myself shaving, witch hazel and aloe will sting if I didn’t use alum first. Whichever stings first stings worst.

Indent-causing safety razor shaves can be smooth, gentle experiences if you get the hang of not involving the edge of the blade in said depressions, but the method mentioned (which I thank you for trying) is A#1 great for avoiding nicks and razor burn.

The next time you roll out the TOBS sandalwood suds over your protective, Proraso coating, would you be willing to try this method again or was it too tedious?

The next time you roll out the TOBS sandalwood suds over your protective, Proraso coating, would you be willing to try this method again or was it too tedious?

Not tedious, just a bit longer. I’m used to, or better stated I prefer, long, quick strokes. The Vector may not be the best razor for such a shave technique, particularly as the head is so light.

thombrogan

I prefer, long, quick strokes. The Vector may not be the best razor for such a shave technique, particularly as the head is so light.

Pretty confident your razor will support that type of technique, but I wanted to see if you could use your Proraso red preshave and TOBS sandalwood cream without irritation and it was the least irritating way of shaving I know. Picked it up from both @AimlessWanderer and @GAW9576

The non-indenting, almost hovering pass can be used with long, smooth strokes. And some of the veteran Micromatic users have a slightly indenting method that translates over to some AC-format razors, but I haven’t learned those too well.

Pretty confident your razor will support that type of technique, but I wanted to see if you could use your Proraso red preshave and TOBS sandalwood cream without irritation and it was the least irritating way of shaving I know. Picked it up from both @AimlessWanderer and @GAW9576

The non-indenting, almost hovering pass can be used with long, smooth strokes. And some of the veteran Micromatic users have a slightly indenting method that translates over to some AC-format razors, but I haven’t learned those too well.

Glad you are liking the technique. I consented on this again today with my Gem Micromatic open comb and got an excellent shave with zero irritation. Not BBS but 15 hrs later still very socially acceptable. I really need to concentrate on it more often till it becomes second nature. I commonly do not think about it when shaving an pay for it. Or I chase those last few stubborn hairs and pay for it. Comfortable for me is better than BBS with irritation. Especially since the irritation ruins the BBS with bumps and sensitive spots. In time I should be able to get comfortable and BBS by improving my technique.

Tuesday shave:

Lather: AoS Sandalwood shave cream, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Feather Proguard blade (1)
Aftershave: Supply Healing aftershave, Nivea Maximum Hydration AS balm

I was wanting to be wowed with the Proguard, but today’s shave was just OK. 3-pass face plus clean up, 2-pass neck. DFS result. No less sting than yesterday’s shave, which was admittedly minimal. Nonetheless, just not feeling it... I think I’ve biased myself against the Proguard; I should like it more, but I don’t.

I’ll try again tomorrow.

Wednesday shave:

Lather: AoS Sandalwood shave cream, Mühle Vivo Black Fiber brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Feather Proguard blade (2)
Aftershave: Supply Healing aftershave, AoS Sandalwood AS balm

XTG and ATG face, ATG neck, with a DFS result with some stinging on cheeks but none on neck. More pressure applied than what I would have with a Proline blade to get a 2-pass shave. DFS result and OK experience.

While I’m wanting to finish up my tub of AoS cream, I think I’ll try a different soap tomorrow to see if it improves my mood. Also, I’ve completely forgotten what a Mach 3 cartridge shave feels like. Would I experience similar stinging?

You would in the wallet :p

Haha! Is it really though? Considering all the razors, blades, soaps, creams, and other paraphernalia purchased since the start of this journey, you’re going to have a tough time convincing my wife about less wallet sting over a Mach 3, Gillette Foamy, and a beat up Wilkinson brush. But it’s not about that at all. I’m enjoying the experience, the fragrances, the camaraderie. That’s worth the price.

thombrogan

Is it really though?

Not for me… I moved from Gillette to store brands manufactured by Dorco and Personna/Edgwell years ago and then my tendencies towards hyper-fixating and accumulating and using trinkets to tickle my comatose dopamine receptors found its way into wetshaving.

But for sane people duped into wetshaving, the savings are real…

Thursday shave:

Lather: PdP 63, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Feather Proguard blade (3 - binned)
Aftershave: PdP 63 balm

LOL! Small nick in the Adam’s apple area with a guarded blade. Seriously? Might as well cut myself with a Proline and get a more efficient shave! It was a rough, anything but smooth 1-pass ATG face & neck, with clean up using the Mach 3. I didn’t even bother with witch hazel; didn’t feel like being stung. Blade binned; only Prolines hereafter.

I also think I’m developing a sensitivity to the pre-shave cream. Is it normal to experience some tingling of the skin upon contact? Anyway, this cream isn’t doing anything for me. Once the month’s over and I’m released from the April GRUME, I’ll experiment with the PAA cube.

thombrogan

I’m sorry to read about the nick and hope it heals soon.

Sandalwood seems to irritate its share of online enthusiasts, but why would it wait for you to switch from Proline to Proguard to enact its anaphylactic antics?

Given the efficiency differences you’ve noted between the two blades in your razor against your stubble, I’m asking you to please delay in pressing charges against Proraso red preshave. The cause might be a more pressing concern.

Best of luck and with high hopes your pending The Cube 2.0 or adding more water to your lather to just below the point it starts reducing slickness does the trick.

TGIF shave:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Red pre-shave cream
Lather: Tabac stick, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Gillette Mach 3
Aftershave: Supply Healing AS, Nivea AS balm

While arguably a step ‘backward’ due to non-traditional cartridge shaving, today’s reacquaintance with the Mach 3 was a useful exercise in what a 2-pass, zero sting DFS+/near BBS shave should feel like. What a great way to end the week!

I’ve proven that my ‘sensitivity’ to the Proraso Red preshave was imagined, that witch hazel need not sting, and that my SE technique is lacking.

Won’t stop trying, will keep learning.

Saturday shave:

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Red pre-shave cream
Lather: Tabac stick, PAA Atomic Rocket brush
Razor: Blackland Vector, Schick Proline (1)
Aftershave: Supply Healing AS, PdP 63 AS balm

I kept most every aspect of yesterday’s shave constant, with the exception of the razor/blade (and balm). Same 2-pass shave, for a DFS+ result. Remarkably, no sting from the Supply aftershave!

Why did this shave feel great, whereas others using the same razor/blade combination cause razor burn? What was it about my technique? Was it the soap (the venerable Tabac) or face lathering? A combination of the two? Does face lathering help with added skin conditioning?

To answer these ‘burning’ questions, for the next shaves I will bowl lather using the Tabac stick and face lather using a cream (AoS?). To keep it fair, I will also use a new blade for each of the above shaves.

I’m looking forward to the results.

Top Bottom