What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

Believe me, crossed my mind. Looked at amazon and thought I can have the lap film here by Friday so I can hone the razor in time for my weekend shave, and while I’m at it..I’ll throw in a Palmolive shave stick since I’ll be dropping out anyways...But NO, must stay strong.
Yes, you could definitely Treewhale in a hurry..... The sabbatical is just like a house of cards, once you buy one thing, you loose it and eventually have 50 things lol

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this subforum for a while and finally took the plunge and purchased a straight razor. (Link to my intro thread)

I just finished shave number 2 last night. Overall, it came out okay.

For my first shave, I tried to keep my razor at a 30 degree angle and use ZERO pressure, only the weight of the blade. I took lots of small passes, and it felt like the blade skipped around a lot. I only went with the grain, and ended the shave with what looked and felt smooth (as long as I rubbed my face with the grain). I had a lot of trouble with my chin area, and ultimately gave up, cleaning it up with a cartridge razor I had nearby. No nicks, no burn from the alum block, and overall pretty pleased that I didn't walk away looking like horror film. I didn't like the bouncing around, and the shave wasn't comfortable... but I have never liked shaving, so I just chalked it up to that. If you didn't read my intro, this was my first time wet shaving at all, so I'm sure I could have lathered my soap incorrectly or applied it wrong or any number of things.

After the shave, I stropped my razor 25 times on the fabric side, then 50 on the leather side. I repeated the process right before my second shave.

I gave myself two days growth and went for the second shave.

For the second shave, I kept the angle much shallower, maybe 10-15 degrees instead of 30, and I used slightly more pressure than just the blade weight (thanks to @smokey0325 for his thread on pressure). The shave felt MUCH better. Instead of stuttering all over my face, I felt practically no resistance, just the sound of cutting hair. I was able to take longer strokes more comfortably, and I probably finished my shave in less than half the time of the first one. I was already more comfortable doing my cheeks, neck, and nose/lip area. I tackled my chin with more confidence than my first shave, and actually managed to do a pass on all of it, but not well. I ended up with a nick in the middle of my chin - it didn't weep or anything, just some blood rose to the surface. I cleaned it up with the cartridge again, since I looked a little bit like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Rubbing my face with the alum block produced a slight tingle on my chin, but no burning sensations.

The biggest takeaway from this second shave is that it actually feels good to shave with a straight razor. I'm sure it feels good shaving with a safety razor, but my previous experience was only with cartridge razors. I typically just buzz down my beard once a week with an electric trimmer. Shaving with a cartridge, even daily, felt like I was trying to rip sandpaper from my face. My beard is coarse and thick and grows fast.

With the straight razor on that second shave, I took down two days growth and I couldn't even feel the hairs leaving. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave and getting more comfortable with the razor and lather.

For gear, I purchased a shave ready kit from StraightRazors.com - it included a "Grim Dollar" instead of a Gold Dollar. After looking through the forums post-purchase, I kind of wish I had researched more and purchased a vintage razor from someone that was ready to go... but, for the price, it was nice to just get the things I need and give it a shot.

I will do my best to update this as I make milestones. I really enjoyed reading through @GearNoir 's thread on his journey into straight shaving.

Glad you were able to pull something useful from my thread. I'm about 60-70 straight razor shaves in and still learning something new with each shave. Welcome to the dark side!

Don't worry about the lapping film, its such a small purchase, no one will know..... (Uses Jedi mind trick to convence you to fail sabbatical of your own accord......):a45:
Let me add to that - lapping film, balsa, diamond paste - none of these things are shaving purchases - they are just things @SAMB08 should have in his garage/workshop anyway. Technically it doesn't break the sabbatical.

... And if he just happens to use them to sharpen a razor, well that's just serendipity.

Let me add to that - lapping film, balsa, diamond paste - none of these things are shaving purchases - they are just things @SAMB08 should have in his garage/workshop anyway. Technically it doesn't break the sabbatical.

... And if he just happens to use them to sharpen a razor, well that's just serendipity.
:a29:

Shave #3:

I stuck with another with the grain only shave (except for not really paying attention to growth direction and doing across the grain on one of my cheeks). This time I managed to go around my chin with no nicks, and get a much cleaner shave all around. I ended up getting a nick right under my right nostril while doing that area. It was closed up before I hit it with the alum block post shave.

No burn from the alum block again. I'm guessing that won't happen until I start more aggressive shaves with across the grain or against the grain passes.

I think I did a little better with my lather this time around. It seemed to be a little slicker and more moist than my previous two attempts... but I think I need to do a lot more work to figure out how to lather soap. I read some tutorials on here about starting really dry, then adding water slowly back to it until you end up with bubbles so you can see what the lather looks at all stages. I need to set some time aside to do that.

Overall, super comfortable shave! Words I never thought I would think or write in my life. Typically my one day growth has me grinding sandpaper off my face with a cartridge razor... and now I'm doing two day growth like it doesn't exist.

Moving forward, I plan on doing several more shaves with the grain, making sure the angles are comfortable, then I will move to a second pass with across the grain.

Shave #3:

I stuck with another with the grain only shave (except for not really paying attention to growth direction and doing across the grain on one of my cheeks). This time I managed to go around my chin with no nicks, and get a much cleaner shave all around. I ended up getting a nick right under my right nostril while doing that area. It was closed up before I hit it with the alum block post shave.

No burn from the alum block again. I'm guessing that won't happen until I start more aggressive shaves with across the grain or against the grain passes.

I think I did a little better with my lather this time around. It seemed to be a little slicker and more moist than my previous two attempts... but I think I need to do a lot more work to figure out how to lather soap. I read some tutorials on here about starting really dry, then adding water slowly back to it until you end up with bubbles so you can see what the lather looks at all stages. I need to set some time aside to do that.

Overall, super comfortable shave! Words I never thought I would think or write in my life. Typically my one day growth has me grinding sandpaper off my face with a cartridge razor... and now I'm doing two day growth like it doesn't exist.

Moving forward, I plan on doing several more shaves with the grain, making sure the angles are comfortable, then I will move to a second pass with across the grain.

On the lather. Yes you want to build it slowly, then when it looks like YouTube Videos, keep adding water until it thins some. Thin seems to be better for SRs than thicker.

On the lather. Yes you want to build it slowly, then when it looks like YouTube Videos, keep adding water until it thins some. Thin seems to be better for SRs than thicker.

Thanks! I looked up several videos and recently tried the famous "Marco Method" and liked the results.

Shave #4:

I tried the Marco Method for building lather directly on my face. I wasn't sure what to expect... but I gave myself two attempts, and ended up with a nice, slick lather. My face felt slick after shaving, so I think I'm on the right track.

This was my first multi-pass shave, and it came out okay. The with the grain pass went largely without hiccups - I struggled to get all the hairs on my chin and ended up re-lathering and going over it more than once. For my second pass, I went across the grain and it was like starting over! I had to rethink my angles and change my grip multiple times. I need to watch a few more videos on across the grain to see what other people do... I think I obsessed over the with the grain pass and didn't pay attention to what others do across the grain.

After my across the grain pass, the alum block lit me up! Now I understand the burn, haha... It wasn't bad, but my moustache and chin area both burned for a few seconds after the shave.

Overall, my face feels good. I have a nice, close shave on both cheeks and my moustache. My chin... not so much, but it isn't bad! It is only smooth feeling when rubbing with the grain.

I had to rethink my angles and change my grip multiple times.
Yes, watching videos helps a little. But mostly find out what grips are available and comfortable to you. Exact finger placement isn't important, hold it comfortably. I find there are 4 basic holds,
WIN_20190205_20_18_41_Pro.jpgWIN_20190205_20_18_48_Pro.jpg WIN_20190205_20_18_56_Pro.jpg WIN_20190205_20_19_13_Pro.jpg
with 3 scale positions,
WIN_20190205_20_19_55_Pro.jpg WIN_20190205_20_20_09_Pro.jpg WIN_20190205_20_20_16_Pro.jpg
and an inverted grip, which always makes me decide to use my off hand instead.
WIN_20190205_20_19_38_Pro.jpg WIN_20190205_20_27_54_Pro.jpg

It is only smooth feeling when rubbing with the grain.

It takes time to get better. I'm not at BBS shaves yet, I do get DFS routinely, but I'm at 30-40 shaves

Shave #5:

Another two pass shave, one with the grain, and one across the grain. I face lathered again, and I'm definitely getting a way better lather and shave experience.

As for results, I've got baby butt smooth across my cheeks (maybe I accidentally did against the grain here?), and the rest of my face feels smooth, but not as smooth. I also ended up with several nicks across my face - one on the cheek, one on the neck, and one on my upper lip. They didn't show up until after I was done shaving, so they weren't bad.

I continue to gain new respect for the alum block. My face got lit up!

Overall, the closest shave to date, and I continue to improve in my technique.

I posted this in the Straight Razor Acquisition thread, but figured I should cross post some of it here with some additional thoughts since this is my "Journey into Straight Razors" thread... I'm already down the rabbit hole.

After seeing all of the awesome vintage razors people are shaving with, I started pouring over the bay for some cheap offerings. Despite being only 5 shaves in, I want to learn how to hone my own blades and have the confidence to clean something up and use. With that in mind, I managed to pick up a bundle of razors with a stone for $10.

The reason they went for so cheap is likely obvious... They are in awful condition! The photos on the auction were blurry and I only looked at the pictures on my phone - another lesson in purchasing online. Despite all of that, I'm actually excited about what I got. Given that none of the photos showed any makers, I had fun doing some research after opening the box and taking some photos.

The Carborundum Company Razor Hone - cool old box with a neat little honing stone in it:
proxy.php

A. W. Bradshaw & Sons Germany - really rusty blade. I'm thinking I can stop the rust and then hone away until there is a new edge and bevel. I tried finding some information on the maker, and it seems like it was primarily a knife company and had a rather short run:
proxy.php

J. R. Torrey - two chips on the edge. Hopefully I can hone those out. They don't look bad, and, if I can salvage the blade, I hear really good things about Torrey razors:
proxy.php

Shumate Barber Deluxe St. Louis - this blade is tiny! I measured it and I believe it is a 4/8. It also has all kinds of frowns going on - I'm guessing this razor was honed using the razor hone that came with the bundle. I did some reading on the forum about fixing frowns, and this frown would likely need to be fixed by bread knifing it. I think I would end up with a 3/8 if I did that... haha! I will likely give it a shot, just to say I've done it:
proxy.php

And, the one that seems to be in the best shape and pretty cool looking:

Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Cutlers to Their Majesties - not much to say about this one. I did a little research and people seem to like them. The mark means it is likely from the late 1800s, which is pretty cool. There is some play at the pivot, so I plan on taking the scales off to see if there is rust on the blade, or just a worn out pin. I wish the inscription wasn't worn out, but it is legible enough to see what it is. I will try to get a picture of the front of the blade - but I believe this one is a full wedge, 11/16:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Kind of a neat grab bag of random razors in different states of disrepair. My lapping film came in yesterday. I'm going to swing by the hardware store to pickup a marble tile and some wet/dry sandpaper in various grits, then start to blunder my way through this. I am going to hold off on the Torrey and Rodgers for a bit.

That's all for now! See ya later...
proxy.php

Shave #6:

Two WTG passes, continuing to face lather with great results. My face feels great rubbing with the grain. It was interesting feeling the difference between the first and second pass. The second pass felt like I was just gliding through lather. I pinged off a few hairs I missed in my first pass around my chin, but that was about it.

I thought about doing across the grain again, but decided to just try the two WTG. I also found that I do better with my left hand if I do that pass first - instead of starting with my right. I'm sure it won't matter with more practice.

Shave #7:

I have the first change to my basic kit (and decided to take a photo):

proxy.php

Razor: Grim Dollar 6/8
Soap: The Blades Grim, Smolder
Brush: Omega 11047

I love the feel of this brush! Thanks to @Twelvefret (and others in his shave thread) for the recommendation. My other brush is a synthetic that came with my intro to straight razor kit. It loads up fine, but feels nothing like this Omega.

I had a little trouble getting it to face lather - but adding some water and a little extra soap and it blew up into a rich lathering machine. I really enjoyed the feel of the bristles.

As for the shave, I did a WTG pass followed by XTG. No nicks, and the alum block only tingled in a couple of places, but burned in none. The shave was also consistently closer than my last WTG/XTG shave. I keep reading that shaving gets better and better with a straight razor and I am finding that to be true. It seems every shave is better than the last. I know I will hit a plateau at some point where progress will stagnate, but I'm loving seeing the progress.

Shave #7:

I have the first change to my basic kit (and decided to take a photo):

proxy.php

Razor: Grim Dollar 6/8
Soap: The Blades Grim, Smolder
Brush: Omega 11047

I love the feel of this brush! Thanks to @Twelvefret (and others in his shave thread) for the recommendation. My other brush is a synthetic that came with my intro to straight razor kit. It loads up fine, but feels nothing like this Omega.

I had a little trouble getting it to face lather - but adding some water and a little extra soap and it blew up into a rich lathering machine. I really enjoyed the feel of the bristles.

As for the shave, I did a WTG pass followed by XTG. No nicks, and the alum block only tingled in a couple of places, but burned in none. The shave was also consistently closer than my last WTG/XTG shave. I keep reading that shaving gets better and better with a straight razor and I am finding that to be true. It seems every shave is better than the last. I know I will hit a plateau at some point where progress will stagnate, but I'm loving seeing the progress.

So, happy you liked the brush. It has a special feel. :a14:

Shave #8:

Two pass shave, first WTG, followed by XTG. I kind of rushed this shave and didn't get as good of a lather as I should have. As a result, I ended up with a nick under my left nostril - nothing bad, but I could see it! A lesson about taking your time to do it right.

Shave #9:

How do these shaves keep getting better? WTG and XTG for everything but my neck. No burn from the alum block, but smooth in all directions. Really felt great.

I continue to use the new Omega brush, and I'm really liking it. I have a trip coming up, so wanted to make sure I can face lather well with a smaller brush. I might need to pick up a stick of soap as well, to reduce luggage size.

Shave #9:

How do these shaves keep getting better? WTG and XTG for everything but my neck. No burn from the alum block, but smooth in all directions. Really felt great.

I continue to use the new Omega brush, and I'm really liking it. I have a trip coming up, so wanted to make sure I can face lather well with a smaller brush. I might need to pick up a stick of soap as well, to reduce luggage size.
I've heard great things about the midget line. I'll have to get one in the future.

Top Bottom