What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

I am really happy with it! It seems like everyone that picks one up ends up loving it.
Getting it would give me bookends on their lines, the huge Omega Pro 10098 and the Omega 11047 would be the big and the small of it :) Wish they had it in un-banded, will probably go mixed when I get one.

Shave #10:

WTG and XTG, flipped back to using my synthetic brush that came in my shave kit. It lathered great and I had a really enjoyable shave. A close shave all around. My neck could use some more work - I approached it from a few angles and different holds and didn't find a good against the grain or across the grain grip that felt good... Still need some practice there.

is that barbers hone what you are using to restore those blades?

that 4/8s is not an original 4/8s. you can tell by the heel and how far the edge is into it. thats why there is that “frown” by it and not so much on the middle. dont bread knife, address and fix the heel after determining that the spine is the right width for that edge.

is that barbers hone what you are using to restore those blades?

that 4/8s is not an original 4/8s. you can tell by the heel and how far the edge is into it. thats why there is that “frown” by it and not so much on the middle. dont bread knife, address and fix the heel after determining that the spine is the right width for that edge.

Nope!

I bought some lapping film to learn how to hone. The hone was just sold along with the razors in a lot, so I don't intend to use it.

Thanks for the info on that 4/8. It has two frowns in it - one towards the front and one towards the back. The frown isn't as extreme as I expected after looking at it on a flat surface.

Shave #11:

I did a WTG followed by my first ATG. It worked really well! I just went slow and let the razor do its thing.

I ended up with my first real cut! Not exactly a weeper, but I felt the blade hit and some blood pooled up while I finished my shave. After hitting it with the alum block, nothing else came out... but, man, don't forget the term razor sharp came from somewhere! I was doing my ATG pass and changed hands and grip to make a pass under my nose and I bumped the razor into my chin on the way there. It was a little spot, but it took no pressure to leave the cut. I was too focused on my new technique and not focused enough on the blade in hand.

Thankfully it wasn't bad, and I got a sharp reminder to pay attention. It is crazy how comfortable these shaves are, given that I am only just now over ten shaves. I can still remember how scary the first shave felt!

Shave #11:

I did a WTG followed by my first ATG. It worked really well! I just went slow and let the razor do its thing.

I ended up with my first real cut! Not exactly a weeper, but I felt the blade hit and some blood pooled up while I finished my shave. After hitting it with the alum block, nothing else came out... but, man, don't forget the term razor sharp came from somewhere! I was doing my ATG pass and changed hands and grip to make a pass under my nose and I bumped the razor into my chin on the way there. It was a little spot, but it took no pressure to leave the cut. I was too focused on my new technique and not focused enough on the blade in hand.

Thankfully it wasn't bad, and I got a sharp reminder to pay attention. It is crazy how comfortable these shaves are, given that I am only just now over ten shaves. I can still remember how scary the first shave felt!
Yeah, you start to learn to watch where your hands are, the toe of the blade, the shoulder of the blade, nose, and earlobe.
And then if you have my luck,

You elbow clicks the light switch off mid stroke. :)

True event! No cut, though it did raise my heart rate. :)

Yeah, you start to learn to watch where your hands are, the toe of the blade, the shoulder of the blade, nose, and earlobe.
And then if you have my luck,

You elbow clicks the light switch off mid stroke. :)

True event! No cut, though it did raise my heart rate. :)

Luckily I don't shave near a light switch, or I'm sure I would do that! Haha... glad you made it through unscathed!

Shave #12:

I intended to do a quick WTG pass before lunch... but ended up doing a full WTG and ATG shave. My face is the smoothest it has been from a straight razor shave! I finally managed to get my neck and chin completely smooth. There are some rough patches along my jaw line (primarily near my ears), and my upper lip.

I ended up going a little too close on my neck - there is some sensitivity post shave, and the alum block ignited on contact with it, but I ended the shave with no nicks and a nice, close shave.

Shave #12:

I intended to do a quick WTG pass before lunch... but ended up doing a full WTG and ATG shave. My face is the smoothest it has been from a straight razor shave! I finally managed to get my neck and chin completely smooth. There are some rough patches along my jaw line (primarily near my ears), and my upper lip.

I ended up going a little too close on my neck - there is some sensitivity post shave, and the alum block ignited on contact with it, but I ended the shave with no nicks and a nice, close shave.

great job!

for me, one quick WTG turns into a full shave every d*mn time. I just can't stop after a first pass.

The areas that you mention really inform you if your edge is sharp enough.. the jaw, upper lip and neck..

Shave #13:

One WTG and one XTG. I didn't want to push things after getting a little close on my last shave. Felt great, no burn from the alum block, and a DFS result.

Shave #14:

Revisited the WTG and ATG shave. Went much smoother, and way less alum block burn. Still a touch of burn on my neck, but it went away immediately. BBS on cheeks, chin, and neck. My jawline has some rougher patches if I run against the grain - need to figure out the best angle for those. Overall, very pleased.

Shave #15:

Quick two pass WTG before work. I was able to shower, shave, and get out the door in about 20 mins. I thought shaving took me a lot longer, but I guess it is going pretty quick at this point (especially doing the familiar WTG passes).

Shave #16:

WTG and XTG - I did this late at night, as I had a trip coming up the following morning. Everything went smoothly.

Shave #17:

After a little over two weeks of travel, I shaved off a decent sized beard with a WTG pass, cleaned it up with a XTG, and finished with ATG. I think this is my first three pass shave, and it felt great!

I was insanely impressed how a single WTG pass removed my entire beard with zero pulling or resistance. In the past, I would have trimmed my beard down with a beard trimmer, followed up with a shave. No need with a straight! I had planned on stopping after the single WTG pass, but it felt good to shave, so I kept on with the additional passes.

Shave #17:

After a little over two weeks of travel, I shaved off a decent sized beard with a WTG pass, cleaned it up with a XTG, and finished with ATG. I think this is my first three pass shave, and it felt great!

I was insanely impressed how a single WTG pass removed my entire beard with zero pulling or resistance. In the past, I would have trimmed my beard down with a beard trimmer, followed up with a shave. No need with a straight! I had planned on stopping after the single WTG pass, but it felt good to shave, so I kept on with the additional passes.

Congratulations. :a14:

I get tugging with a shavette Artist Club after 30 hours growth. Can't imagine two weeks of growth.

Congratulations. :a14:

I get tugging with a shavette Artist Club after 30 hours growth. Can't imagine two weeks of growth.

My beard hits "beard trimmer required" levels at two days, typically. I wasn't going to attempt it, but I had seen some other videos of people knocking off beards with a straight in one pass, so I had to attempt it... man, it was great!

My beard hits "beard trimmer required" levels at two days, typically. I wasn't going to attempt it, but I had seen some other videos of people knocking off beards with a straight in one pass, so I had to attempt it... man, it was great!

Good for you,:a14: but would not work for me.

Shave #18:

I did a WTG pass followed by ATG. I had a little bit of skipping on my neck, but it went pretty smoothly. I don't really have time for a three pass shave most of the time, so this was an experiment. No burn from the alum block and my face felt pretty great! I might try a more aggressive WTG pass next time to see if I can remove some of the skipping on my next shave.

Top Bottom