What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this subforum for a while and finally took the plunge and purchased a straight razor. (Link to my intro thread)

I just finished shave number 2 last night. Overall, it came out okay.

For my first shave, I tried to keep my razor at a 30 degree angle and use ZERO pressure, only the weight of the blade. I took lots of small passes, and it felt like the blade skipped around a lot. I only went with the grain, and ended the shave with what looked and felt smooth (as long as I rubbed my face with the grain). I had a lot of trouble with my chin area, and ultimately gave up, cleaning it up with a cartridge razor I had nearby. No nicks, no burn from the alum block, and overall pretty pleased that I didn't walk away looking like horror film. I didn't like the bouncing around, and the shave wasn't comfortable... but I have never liked shaving, so I just chalked it up to that. If you didn't read my intro, this was my first time wet shaving at all, so I'm sure I could have lathered my soap incorrectly or applied it wrong or any number of things.

After the shave, I stropped my razor 25 times on the fabric side, then 50 on the leather side. I repeated the process right before my second shave.

I gave myself two days growth and went for the second shave.

For the second shave, I kept the angle much shallower, maybe 10-15 degrees instead of 30, and I used slightly more pressure than just the blade weight (thanks to @smokey0325 for his thread on pressure). The shave felt MUCH better. Instead of stuttering all over my face, I felt practically no resistance, just the sound of cutting hair. I was able to take longer strokes more comfortably, and I probably finished my shave in less than half the time of the first one. I was already more comfortable doing my cheeks, neck, and nose/lip area. I tackled my chin with more confidence than my first shave, and actually managed to do a pass on all of it, but not well. I ended up with a nick in the middle of my chin - it didn't weep or anything, just some blood rose to the surface. I cleaned it up with the cartridge again, since I looked a little bit like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Rubbing my face with the alum block produced a slight tingle on my chin, but no burning sensations.

The biggest takeaway from this second shave is that it actually feels good to shave with a straight razor. I'm sure it feels good shaving with a safety razor, but my previous experience was only with cartridge razors. I typically just buzz down my beard once a week with an electric trimmer. Shaving with a cartridge, even daily, felt like I was trying to rip sandpaper from my face. My beard is coarse and thick and grows fast.

With the straight razor on that second shave, I took down two days growth and I couldn't even feel the hairs leaving. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave and getting more comfortable with the razor and lather.

For gear, I purchased a shave ready kit from StraightRazors.com - it included a "Grim Dollar" instead of a Gold Dollar. After looking through the forums post-purchase, I kind of wish I had researched more and purchased a vintage razor from someone that was ready to go... but, for the price, it was nice to just get the things I need and give it a shot.

I will do my best to update this as I make milestones. I really enjoyed reading through @GearNoir 's thread on his journey into straight shaving.

Last edited:
Nice to hear you enjoying your walk into the straight razor side of shaving. It's a bit more challenging, but I think you will enjoy the journey.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

source.gif

I'm Matt, WELCOME to the world of straight razors and to Badger and Blade! Congratulations on your first two shaves!!!!! It sounds like you're doing all right so far. I'm sure you've read that it takes a lot of practice to become proficient and you will make some mistakes early on, but stick with it and you will having Holy Grail Shaves before you know it!
The kit you bought might not have been my first choice, but it is definitely serviceable. Thankfully you didn't buy a $200 razor and then find out you don't like it! In the future it would be good for you to have at least one other razor and a vintage would be a great choice!
Again, welcome to the forum and please do not hesitate to ask questions or for advice!

Matt

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this subforum for a while and finally took the plunge and purchased a straight razor. (Link to my intro thread)

I just finished shave number 2 last night. Overall, it came out okay.

For my first shave, I tried to keep my razor at a 30 degree angle and use ZERO pressure, only the weight of the blade. I took lots of small passes, and it felt like the blade skipped around a lot. I only went with the grain, and ended the shave with what looked and felt smooth (as long as I rubbed my face with the grain). I had a lot of trouble with my chin area, and ultimately gave up, cleaning it up with a cartridge razor I had nearby. No nicks, no burn from the alum block, and overall pretty pleased that I didn't walk away looking like horror film. I didn't like the bouncing around, and the shave wasn't comfortable... but I have never liked shaving, so I just chalked it up to that. If you didn't read my intro, this was my first time wet shaving at all, so I'm sure I could have lathered my soap incorrectly or applied it wrong or any number of things.

After the shave, I stropped my razor 25 times on the fabric side, then 50 on the leather side. I repeated the process right before my second shave.

I gave myself two days growth and went for the second shave.

For the second shave, I kept the angle much shallower, maybe 10-15 degrees instead of 30, and I used slightly more pressure than just the blade weight (thanks to @smokey0325 for his thread on pressure). The shave felt MUCH better. Instead of stuttering all over my face, I felt practically no resistance, just the sound of cutting hair. I was able to take longer strokes more comfortably, and I probably finished my shave in less than half the time of the first one. I was already more comfortable doing my cheeks, neck, and nose/lip area. I tackled my chin with more confidence than my first shave, and actually managed to do a pass on all of it, but not well. I ended up with a nick in the middle of my chin - it didn't weep or anything, just some blood rose to the surface. I cleaned it up with the cartridge again, since I looked a little bit like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Rubbing my face with the alum block produced a slight tingle on my chin, but no burning sensations.

The biggest takeaway from this second shave is that it actually feels good to shave with a straight razor. I'm sure it feels good shaving with a safety razor, but my previous experience was only with cartridge razors. I typically just buzz down my beard once a week with an electric trimmer. Shaving with a cartridge, even daily, felt like I was trying to rip sandpaper from my face. My beard is coarse and thick and grows fast.

With the straight razor on that second shave, I took down two days growth and I couldn't even feel the hairs leaving. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave and getting more comfortable with the razor and lather.

For gear, I purchased a shave ready kit from StraightRazors.com - it included a "Grim Dollar" instead of a Gold Dollar. After looking through the forums post-purchase, I kind of wish I had researched more and purchased a vintage razor from someone that was ready to go... but, for the price, it was nice to just get the things I need and give it a shot.

I will do my best to update this as I make milestones. I really enjoyed reading through @GearNoir 's thread on his journey into straight shaving.

Sorry my latest post have been a pretty major detour into other areas of shaving, but I’ll be getting back on track with my Feather SS soon enough! 300 open blade shaves awaits!

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the journal and it’s helped.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Welcome! Believe me it is well worth the effort to learn the straight razor shave. I believe it tops all other methods in both quality and comfort. As @Luecke2326 said pick up a vintage so you will have two. If you ever need something honed, just PM
me - no cost to you. Also, here is a link to a method of honing that has a low start up cost and easy to master. Straight shaving is often referred to as the “dark side” but it brings sunshine into my day.

Newbie Honing Compendium

Thanks for the welcome!

I will definitely be picking up a vintage razor... I made the mistake of looking at some of the straight razor picture threads...

@steveclarkus - that is an awesome offer! Thank you! I've read through the Newbie Honing Compendium and I'm tallying up what all I need... sounds like a worthwhile adventure.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
By the way, Johnloc1 is a seller on eBay and he sells truly shave ready razors for reasonable prices. I’ve bought from him a few times and he is a good guy and guarantees his sales. I’m retired and am happy to hone for new guys to help them get started.

Welcome! Believe me it is well worth the effort to learn the straight razor shave. I believe it tops all other methods in both quality and comfort. As @Luecke2326 said pick up a vintage so you will have two. If you ever need something honed, just PM
me - no cost to you. Also, here is a link to a method of honing that has a low start up cost and easy to master. Straight shaving is often referred to as the “dark side” but it brings sunshine into my day.

Newbie Honing Compendium
Well said, learning it is also much more a mole hill than a mountain to climb. It's all about perseverance!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m curious to see how you like your razor.

I received the same kit few years ago and the razor wasn’t shave ready. Been on and off with it, but after reading a lot about straight razors, thinking about giving it a try but will probably have to hone the razor first.

There is a lot of info here which is very helpful.

Thanks for the welcome!

I will definitely be picking up a vintage razor... I made the mistake of looking at some of the straight razor picture threads...

@steveclarkus - that is an awesome offer! Thank you! I've read through the Newbie Honing Compendium and I'm tallying up what all I need... sounds like a worthwhile adventure.

Where are you considering a vintage from?
I’ve read about Larry from Whipped Dog.

Where are you considering a vintage from?
I’ve read about Larry from Whipped Dog.

That seems to be a great option. I've heard Larry does a great job, and that other members on the forum often sell their shave ready razors.

I will keep you posted on how long the current razor seems to do its job. Like I said, my second shave was much better than my first. I also tweaked my methods and stropped it more than the first shave. I wasn't expecting a ton from it, but I don't know any better at this point.

Newbie Honing Compendium

I’m really sorry if I’m hijacking the thread here, but having to stay home with two young kids because of a snow day (and one of them having the flu), this got me reading more about straight razors and honing, and it also piqued my interest.

I have never heard of lapping film before, read through the threads posted here and just wanted to say thank you for sharing those.

I’m participating in the 2019 sabbatical but definitely collecting all that info until the sabbatical is over (or if I make a shave purchase before then...whatever comes first)

That seems to be a great option. I've heard Larry does a great job, and that other members on the forum often sell their shave ready razors.

I will keep you posted on how long the current razor seems to do its job. Like I said, my second shave was much better than my first. I also tweaked my methods and stropped it more than the first shave. I wasn't expecting a ton from it, but I don't know any better at this point.

Did you try any of the Shave test posted around the forum, the hanging hair test? I tried mine and it definitely did not feel sharp (but that could be a user error).

Did you try any of the Shave test posted around the forum, the hanging hair test? I tried mine and it definitely did not feel sharp (but that could be a user error).

Last night, after stropping, I ran it along the top of my arm hairs and could feel it cut them - it wasn't smooth like lopping them off... I could feel the tug and see the cut. I'm guessing my razor isn't perfect, but it is definitely cutting facial hair.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
S
Larry is a good bet as is Johnloc1 on eBay. Same offer for honing to you. I use film and balsa pasted strops. Outstanding edges!

I’m really sorry if I’m hijacking the thread here, but having to stay home with two young kids because of a snow day (and one of them having the flu), this got me reading more about straight razors and honing, and it also piqued my interest.

I have never heard of lapping film before, read through the threads posted here and just wanted to say thank you for sharing those.

I’m participating in the 2019 sabbatical but definitely collecting all that info until the sabbatical is over (or if I make a shave purchase before then...whatever comes first)
Don't worry about the lapping film, its such a small purchase, no one will know..... (Uses Jedi mind trick to convence you to fail sabbatical of your own accord......):a45:

Don't worry about the lapping film, its such a small purchase, no one will know..... (Uses Jedi mind trick to convence you to fail sabbatical of your own accord......):a45:

Believe me, crossed my mind. Looked at amazon and thought I can have the lap film here by Friday so I can hone the razor in time for my weekend shave, and while I’m at it..I’ll throw in a Palmolive shave stick since I’ll be dropping out anyways...But NO, must stay strong.

Top Bottom