What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

Shave #18:

I did a WTG pass followed by ATG. I had a little bit of skipping on my neck, but it went pretty smoothly. I don't really have time for a three pass shave most of the time, so this was an experiment. No burn from the alum block and my face felt pretty great! I might try a more aggressive WTG pass next time to see if I can remove some of the skipping on my next shave.

I use a well hydrated lather and minimal pressure ATG on my neck. That’s the only area I shave ATG except the corners

Hey OP I gotta say, you’ve taken to this straight shaving thing like a duck to water man!

Keep up the excellent work. From the sounds of your progress so far, you’re on the train for life.

Inspirational is what it is. Many a new shaver should read your log to help them get past the intimidation that can come with a naked blade.

I use a well hydrated lather and minimal pressure ATG on my neck. That’s the only area I shave ATG except the corners

I will make sure my lather is really hydrated for the next go and see what the results are, thanks for the tip! This might be a stupid question, but does super hydrated water appear thin? I'm still learning how to work lather and get it into various states... but I'd assume adding water to it results in a more bubbly, thinner lather.

Hey OP I gotta say, you’ve taken to this straight shaving thing like a duck to water man!

Keep up the excellent work. From the sounds of your progress so far, you’re on the train for life.

Inspirational is what it is. Many a new shaver should read your log to help them get past the intimidation that can come with a naked blade.

Thanks Dzaw!

I'm definitely on the straight razor train... it is the most comfortable shave I've ever had. It isn't fair to say it is the best, since I haven't tried DE or SE shaving, but I don't see a reason to try them at this point in the game.

As far as the log - I started it based on reading the great logs here. Reading those helped me take the plunge. I'm a complete noob when it comes to shaving, so I don't have a lot of methods or soaps or anything to try out and make the log interesting, I just wanted to document the journey to shave #100 in case others that were on the fence found it helpful. I'm afraid the posts are getting even more boring now that I'm not running into huge "Aha!" moments like I was at the start.

But, I hear you reach nirvana at shave #100, so I will let people know how it goes... haha

I’ll make and apply the lather, then add a tad more water if more hydration is needed. I’ll also reapply mid pass. Ive just noticed Incan do more with than without later.

I will make sure my lather is really hydrated for the next go and see what the results are, thanks for the tip! This might be a stupid question, but does super hydrated water appear thin? I'm still learning how to work lather and get it into various states... but I'd assume adding water to it results in a more bubbly, thinner lather.

A well hydrated lather is simply a soap that you have learned the intricacies of. Each soap lathers a bit differently. As you continue use of a particular soap, you learn how to develop the lather to the most pleasing point to you. When open blade shaving, that point is usually close to the maximum amount of water a lather can hold without having the lather be one broken (to where it’s a runny sloppy mess). That is an optimized lather.

The 100 shave mark is more the place where the learning curve of open blades kind of starts to plateau. The leaps and bounds of figuring things out become more like minor adjustments to fine tune technique.

Thanks! I have definitely noticed sometimes my lather leaves my face really slick, to where I have to rub my fingers on an alum block in order to stretch my face while shaving. Other times, I feel my face is almost sticky after lathering. It makes sense that it would be the amount of water.

Shave #19:

I've been crazy busy and ended up with another two weeks of growth before making time to shave. Did a three pass shave, WTG/XTG/ATG. The ATG pass was a bit skippier along my neck... I think the heavy lifting required to knock down two beards wasn't kind to my edge. No razor burn, but a bit of burn from the alum block.

I need to recover the habit of shaving. Taking that trip really threw me off from regularly shaving.

Yes, as I recently discovered, knocking down heavy growth of tough whiskers can be murder on a straight edge.

I wouldn't have thought that so - each swipe is supposed to be taking the whisker down to skin level, so it shouldn't matter if you have a day's growth, or three, or a week, or a month. Nevertheless, experience bears out differently. I have REALLY found that if I am shaving heavier beard growth, my edges dull much more rapidly

Shave #20:

I continue to be busy and out of the shave habit... Another three pass, WTG/XTG/ATG. I had quite a bit of skipping with my ATG pass, so I think I am going to hold off on it if I keep having these long breaks between shaves. I had a fair amount of burn from the alum block, but thankfully no razor burn.

Thanks @Dzaw !

Shave #21:

I had 30 minutes to shower, dressed and out of the door... but I really wanted to get a shave in, so I went for it! I only had time for a WTG followed by a XTG. I was pleased I was able to get a good shave done with a limited amount of time - my first few shaves with a straight were much longer ordeals!

Shave #22:

I did a two pass shave. A WTG followed by a XTG/ATG combo (went ATG on my neck, XTG everywhere else). My razor is definitely starting to feel a little less smooth. I have the materials to hone, so I might need to do a touch up... we will see!

Shave #23:

I've been busy and neglecting the ritual. Had another beard to shave off...

And I came home to find this in the mail:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I didn't think it would come in for several weeks, so I hadn't ordered my Feather blades yet... but it was too tempting, so I used it with the included blades.

What a shave! Knocked off my beard with no effort. I told myself I would only do a single pass since I have heard shavettes can be scary... but I couldn't stop. Ended up with a full WTG/XTG/ATG. It was an insanely smooth experience... and definitely tells me I need to have my regular straight honed. I ended up with a single nick under my nose (it happened on approaching my face... just wasn't paying attention to where the blade was at).

The alum block didn't even register on my post-shave pass. I am insanely impressed.

I'm still using my same starter kit soap: Smolder by Blades Grim. I love the scent and I have been getting a really rich and hydrating lather out of it. For the brush, I used a synthetic one that came in the kit. I can always build a huge amount of lather with little effort. With the new blade, I didn't want to think about any parts of the shave.

This setup with my Omega 11047 brush will definitely follow me in a travel kit anywhere I go. I can't wait to try the Feather blades!

Shave #23:

I've been busy and neglecting the ritual. Had another beard to shave off...

And I came home to find this in the mail:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I didn't think it would come in for several weeks, so I hadn't ordered my Feather blades yet... but it was too tempting, so I used it with the included blades.

What a shave! Knocked off my beard with no effort. I told myself I would only do a single pass since I have heard shavettes can be scary... but I couldn't stop. Ended up with a full WTG/XTG/ATG. It was an insanely smooth experience... and definitely tells me I need to have my regular straight honed. I ended up with a single nick under my nose (it happened on approaching my face... just wasn't paying attention to where the blade was at).

The alum block didn't even register on my post-shave pass. I am insanely impressed.

I'm still using my same starter kit soap: Smolder by Blades Grim. I love the scent and I have been getting a really rich and hydrating lather out of it. For the brush, I used a synthetic one that came in the kit. I can always build a huge amount of lather with little effort. With the new blade, I didn't want to think about any parts of the shave.

This setup with my Omega 11047 brush will definitely follow me in a travel kit anywhere I go. I can't wait to try the Feather blades!

I like those white scales!! And, the 11047 is not just for travel anymore....lol!! Excellent brush.

Shave #24:

Another shave with the Feather knockoff, but I used my Omega 11047 this time. It has been a while since I've used it... I love it! I got a really great lather from it that left my face feeling great.

I decided to do a quick shave before work, so I did a WTG followed by XTG/ATG hybrid (ATG on my neck and cheeks, but XTG lip and chin). I went a little fast on my neck and ended up with a couple of pin pricks after the shave. The alum block took care of them.

Overall, very pleased with the new addition to the shaving kit. I also had some new treats show up:

proxy.php

I'm going to use up my remaining no-name blade, then swap over to the official feather blades. I'm looking forward to it!

Shave #25:

I wasn't really planning on shaving, but had a few minutes before I needed to leave... so I did a single WTG pass with the Feather knockoff and headed out the door. It was actually kind of nice to just do a quick single pass shave - it has been a long time! It actually looked really good (definitely wasn't smooth against the grain like I've become accustomed to), but nice to keep up the habit.

Shave #26:

WTG followed by XTG/ATG pass. I am LOVING the Feather... effortless shaves. Combined with the Omega 11047, I am having some truly great shaves. I feel like my lathering is getting better at a steady rate (I have never used a brush/lather before, so I'm learning the straight shave + lathering game at the same time).

I ended up shaving the back of my neck with the straight last night (I'm a hairy guy), as well. I've been using a cartridge razor to do it this whole time because it seemed scary to shave where I couldn't see with a straight... but the shave so good I decided to give it a go. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?! It went smootly and effortlessly.

Regarding so many things in life, "why did I wait so long". I remember being told that I should not take up golf at 45. I figured if it were that hard no one would do it. I've used that sentiment often since when discovering new activities.

Top Bottom