What's new

My Guess... 3017

Few shaves left in my tube of O Melhor. Moving on to a tub of Truefitt & Hill 1805 which has been sitting for a couple of years. I think the scent is very similar to O Melhor and I look forward to a couple months of great shaves as I continue a year of creams.

I did something a bit different today... I am currently 3017 a tin of shaving yeti yeti snot. I have managed to get a hole in the middle and loading was taking more effort as time went on. I had read that the pour and cast type soaps could be melted and reformed. So I took the tin and set it on the cup warmer of my espresso machine. I came back several hours later and opened the lid... It was all liquid and level again... Woot, my loading tomorrow will be easier!
The pour and cast soaps don't seem too popular on this thread but I figured I would toss out the tip in the off chance others may use it.

This soap is one of the few that I have that didn't come with glowing recommendations from this thread. At first I was having problem with the lather that people complain about... It is wispy and goes away too fast. I found that if I put some water on the puck and have a 99% dry brush I can load enough soap to have the lather last and be have slickness that I desire. For me the key is start very dry (except the water on the soap) and slooowly add a drip or two at a time until you get the right consistency. If the lather is too wet it will fade on the side of the face you didn't start with before you get there. The menthol nature of the soap seems to go well with the Fine snake bite AS that I am 3017 this summer as well. I hope to finish both before the weather turns.

Ruckin

Finished Mike's Honeysuckle yesterday, for a total of 37 days. Enjoyed every single shave. Started on L&L Bandwagon this morning. This stuff is THICK! Need very little compared to other soaps. It's a barbershop version - smells great, not powdery (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I was always confident that a product from Speick would be good. This one is certainly no exception to the rule. Pleasant citrus/mineral scent and it produces gobs of terrific lather.

Don't know about any propensity for it to cause ingrown hairs (I've never had that problem with that shave cream) but Proraso Blue is my very favorite scent of any shaving product I've yet nosed!
I only wish Proraso would begin making a soap in the tub and an after shave splash in the Blue. Proraso Blue after shave balm IS the bomb!!

Proraso Blue ASB! I will look for this, especially since Nivea seems to have stopped making their Original Replenishing Post Shave Balm.

--Lee

My week with Mama Bear went very well. I don't know why glycerin soaps fell out of favor so badly, but Mama Bear can't be to blame. Once you dial it in, you get excellent slick lather.

I find it performs best with badgers of about medium density. My TGN Finest knots do a slightly better job than a Simpson Chubby and a SOC two band, and much better than boars. Something like a Simpson Duke would be about perfect for Mama Bear.

This is a big puck of soap and should last a while. No complaints so far.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
B&B Seville is our version of the Fight Club. Rule-1 is not to talk abou...... oops!
facepalm.gif

My week with Mama Bear went very well. I don't know why glycerin soaps fell out of favor so badly, but Mama Bear can't be to blame. Once you dial it in, you get excellent slick lather.

There's no way the glycerin-based soaps deserved that bad rap. Mama Bear and QED glycerin soaps are far superior to the vast majority of artisans I've tried.

My first shave with the Gentleman's Quarter Oak & Moss was quite good. The soap was easy to lather (easier than Mystic Waters, for comparison), scent was great and performance was quite good. I can tell I'm in for another good 3017.

strop

Now half as wise
Today was day 2 for the MW Eucalyptus and Spearmint. I followed Bob's lead and lathered directly on the puck to start, then finished some on the face. I'll probably try using a bowl sometime along the way. No complaints with the shave, though. I am a bit disappointed in the scent, though. I was expecting the Eucalyptus to dominate, since it was listed first , but Spearmint is clearly the dominant scent. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

A few days into 3017ing I Collonia mango and getting to terms with it - definitely one of the benefits of concentrating on one soap for a long period of time.

I have maybe a week left on my tube of bigelow, however, my mom-in-law just sent me two more tubes of bigelow. Can't complain, it delivers a very consistent shave, but it's just more time before I get to some other great soaps in my backlog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom