What's new

My Guess... 3017

My Razorock Lime bit the dust this morning. It was good (perhaps not great) shaving and a perfect scent for summer. I have decided to move forwards with a tub of Speick Shaving Soap- I have bought so many of them over the years (and PIFd them) that I feel it is time to put the soap to the test. Somehow I feel that it won't be a disappointment.
Onwards and upwards.

I'm almost a week into the Proraso Blue and have been getting really good shaves. There have been some threads lately in which the blue got either "meh" or active dislike in terms of scent, but I like it quite a lot. A pretty mild, refreshing anise/licorice to my nose, and the tiny bit of cooling menthol feels good in this heat. Post shave face feel has been very good.

But I do have a stupid question: I have had more ingrown hairs during my six days with PB than I typically see in a calendar year. Is there any way possible it could be this cream? Or creams in general? -- I'm a soap guy...

--Lee

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@DrLeeDetroit I've never run across a soap/cream that would give me ingrowns, but to be sure, swap out to something else for a fortnight and then return to the Proraso Blue.

@DrLeeDetroit I've never run across a soap/cream that would give me ingrowns, but to be sure, swap out to something else for a fortnight and then return to the Proraso Blue.

Good idea! We are on the cusp of moving and everything is packed away God-only-knows where, so the experiment will have to wait. Interesting that this experiment did not even occur to me -- a side-effect of hanging out among the 3017ers?

--Lee

My Razorock Lime bit the dust this morning. It was good (perhaps not great) shaving and a perfect scent for summer. I have decided to move forwards with a tub of Speick Shaving Soap- I have bought so many of them over the years (and PIFd them) that I feel it is time to put the soap to the test. Somehow I feel that it won't be a disappointment.
Onwards and upwards.

Tub of Speick or stick? Love the stick!

Thanks for that. I will include it if I ever make a bulk Haslinger purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you like Haslinger then you should give it a try. I recall when I first discovered Haslinger and wanted to pick up more I would stick with schafmilch assuming it was the best. Unfortunately vendors are often sold out of sheep milk during winter months. Now that I've tried all of the flavors I won't hold out for sheep milk anymore. Whatever scent is in stock is what I'm buying. I love every single one of them.

I have taken a year off but I do believe that it is time for me to jump back on the 3017 bandwagon. We shall see if my resolve holds out.

I have several tubs of really good cream that need used, but I think first on the chopping block will be a puck of Mama Bear Lilac and Lavender that I already have dialed in fairly well. An excellent glycerin soap with a strong floral scent that just screams for the Veg as an aftershave.

Tub of Speick or stick? Love the stick!

A tub. I have used the sticks many times during travels and they are indeed a terrific soap. The tub, even though I have bought several, has never been tested before today. Will be interested to see how it performs.

My tub of B&M Seville is going faster. The soap has a hole the size of a quarter and it quite soft even with the lid off overnight.

Dr Johns arctic hydra (2oz) is moving Along quickly. The freeze is minimal and frankly disappointing. No where near what I got last summer from Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic. Can Mentholated soap lose this freeze over time? This one did - or it was never that mentholated in the first place.

Soap is very soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today a very small hole appeared near the center of my tin of yeti snot. After 49 shaves I seem to be able to get consistently good lather now. I put a bit of water on the puck while I get everything else ready and do a quick wash/wetting of my face. I use a fairly dry brush and build lather for what seems like a very long time. But I was also the guy that got 428 shaves out of a puck of DRH so my sense of "normal" may be skewed.

It is looking like I have about four or so weeks left on the YS. Not sure what is next yet but I am thinking about leaning toward using up my softer soaps first before turning to the harder pucks.

Ruckin.

Been of the wagon for a bit (and had a beard for a while) but finished my Cella and Simpson's vanilla and rose along the way. Been using Xpec and D.R.H. Lavender soap lately but I think I'm going to get back on the 3017 regime with a recently opened I Collonia mango.

Should I be guilty about using a discontinued legend for 3017?

A tub. I have used the sticks many times during travels and they are indeed a terrific soap. The tub, even though I have bought several, has never been tested before today. Will be interested to see how it performs.
Is it just Speick Men? Or the "Active" line in the tub?

Is it just Speick Men? Or the "Active" line in the tub?

This is the one.

pac_menactive-rasierseife-d05963ba.jpg

Mystic Waters Brown Windsor is now complete. This is an excellent soft soap. It takes a little trial and error to dial it in, and I found that the soap benefitted most from a wetter brush (not sopping wet) and lathering directly on the soap, but you get a great, slick lather that makes your skin feel great afterwards. I recommend it. Later in the fall/winter, I will be using MW Tea Tree and Blue Gum.

Next up, however, is a cake of The Gentleman's Quarter Oak & Moss soap. I won this and some samples in the St. Sue auction a few years ago, and I'm looking forward to it.

strop

Now half as wise
I'm looking forward to using the MW as my next 3017 victim. I'm still amazed at how long the RR has lasted. I've got one more day, maybe 2.
20170811_094858.jpg

Still trucking along with Abbate Y La Mantia Krokos. It average to above average soap. Good shaves every time and the scent is pleasing. I figure I have 20 shaves left on it.

I'm almost a week into the Proraso Blue and have been getting really good shaves. There have been some threads lately in which the blue got either "meh" or active dislike in terms of scent, but I like it quite a lot. A pretty mild, refreshing anise/licorice to my nose, and the tiny bit of cooling menthol feels good in this heat. Post shave face feel has been very good.

But I do have a stupid question: I have had more ingrown hairs during my six days with PB than I typically see in a calendar year. Is there any way possible it could be this cream? Or creams in general? -- I'm a soap guy...

--Lee

Don't know about any propensity for it to cause ingrown hairs (I've never had that problem with that shave cream) but Proraso Blue is my very favorite scent of any shaving product I've yet nosed!
I only wish Proraso would begin making a soap in the tub and an after shave splash in the Blue. Proraso Blue after shave balm IS the bomb!!

Top Bottom