What's new

My Guess... 3017

Using a 57 this morning and I had gobs of lather. Still not great in comparison to 88, but a reasonable shave. I have only ever used 1 or 2 croaps... not sure how long this one will last.

Looks like my Cella will be finished soon. I still have about 3/4 of the K left, however. Never thought that the remains of a small shave stick would last so long.

upload_2017-7-5_6-2-41.png

I pressed the Mystic Waters Brown Windsor into my MWF ceramic dish, and it's working out quite nicely these last couple of days.

I used some decent soaps this year, but Haslinger is the standard against which all others are judged. A couple weeks of Haslinger Marigold reminded me that the gap between a 4 star soap and a 5 star soap is often wider than a guy realizes. Haslinger is 5 star for me. As good as many other soaps are I continually ask myself why I bother with lesser products when the few 5 star soaps I've used are readily available .

I gotta keep 3017ing these products and get down to just the good stuff. I'm becoming so spoiled that even a product that a few years ago I considered very good...well...just doesn't cut it (pun intended) anymore.

I was just having a very similar thought as I slogged my way through a tin of tiki bar soap. Despite my initial positive thoughts on it, aside from the scent, I've lately been more and more underwhelmed by the performance. It makes pretty looking lather but shaves seem to be just meh. I have been using nearly 5 grams per shave to try and kill it but I'm wondering why since I have other, better soaps I could be using.

Maybe I'll throw in a haslinger shave tonight to help me decide if I should continue with the tiki

I used some decent soaps this year, but Haslinger is the standard against which all others are judged. A couple weeks of Haslinger Marigold reminded me that the gap between a 4 star soap and a 5 star soap is often wider than a guy realizes. Haslinger is 5 star for me. As good as many other soaps are I continually ask myself why I bother with lesser products when the few 5 star soaps I've used are readily available .

I gotta keep 3017ing these products and get down to just the good stuff. I'm becoming so spoiled that even a product that a few years ago I considered very good...well...just doesn't cut it (pun intended) anymore.

I've been using a partial IM stick this week after a few months of Haslinger (and many pucks previously) I'm almost ashamed to say it, but IM isn't as good.

Haslinger is better than anything and everything I've tried over the course of the last 6-1/2 years, including LaToja Manatiales, IM, AOS Tallow and everything in between.

I'm down to the following non-Haslinger products:

- Partial tube of Proraso Blue, will probably get used for the kids fun shaves or binned.

- partial IM stick - using so I can fill with Haslinger

- 2 new IM sticks - likely get sold

- A brick and a half of RR CiT - likely get sold.

- La Toja Manatiales - bought new, will keep on hand to use occasionally to remind me that no soaps are as good as Haslinger.

Last edited:
I have an unopened stick of IM I am hanging onto for nostalgia sake I guess. Someday I'll crack the seal, but no rush. I do like the scent.

Yeah...I just spent 2 or 3 months with Fines lavender and rated it 4 out of 5 stars. It's a darn good soap. Then I lathered up Has.inger....good golly what a great soap.

I'm glad I have a largish stash of various haslnger flavors on hand.

Plugging away at a puck of DR Harris Almond that I started mid March. With almost daily shaves it has a small divot in the center. Not sure how long this one is going to take. Consistent, excellent performance. Scent is faint and subtle.

Plugging away at a puck of DR Harris Almond that I started mid March. With almost daily shaves it has a small divot in the center. Not sure how long this one is going to take. Consistent, excellent performance. Scent is faint and subtle.

Almond could well be my favourite of the Harris soaps; it is such a nice take (and I don't like the marzipan-y Italian croaps at all) and suitable the whole year round.

Razorock Lime is succumbing to a brush onslaught and the level seems to be rapidly decreasing.

DR Harris seems to span quite a range. I have heard of people getting through a puck in 100 or so shaves. Just don't load like I do... it took me 428 shaves to finish off a puck of Marlborough. I have a puck of Arlington in the drawer but I want to try a few other soaps first before I devote a year+ to a soap.

For me face lathering uses much less soap than using a bowl. Right now I am working on some shaving yeti soap and am unable to make lather on my face (it fades super fast), but I get better lather if I use a bowl. I am looking forward to finishing this soap so I can move on to some of my better rated soaps.

Ruckin.

First shave with B&M Seville. Pleasant scent - citrus-like. Lathers nicely and provides a very smooth shave. From the size of the tub, I will be with this one for a long time.

First shave with B&M Seville. Pleasant scent - citrus-like. Lathers nicely and provides a very smooth shave. From the size of the tub, I will be with this one for a long time.

For me B&M went about the same speed as Mystic Water. It softens up when used daily. Seville is a great scent. Enjoy.

For me B&M went about the same speed as Mystic Water. It softens up when used daily. Seville is a great scent. Enjoy.
It's been a while since I 3017d a B&M, I believe it was the veggie version of a fougere offering. Big tub, at the start I figured 3-4 months, but it softened quickly I believe was gone in about 60 days.

I am going to join the good folks of 3017. I think my first target will be a tub of Williams Tonsorial. Two pucks grated into a container. I have used this soap twice and the performance has been spectacular. Will post photos as I progress through this awesome soap.

IMG_20170708_213416697.jpg
IMG_20170708_213416697.jpg

I've taken a break from my soaps as for most of last month and this month has been TDY, leave, then TDY. Need to check bags so it's been a double blade Kai disposable and nuetrogena sensitive shaving cream. Gave me good shaves and I don't mind if it disappears from my bag. SWMBO also prefers me to grow a leave beard so it will be a few more weeks till I'm back to my stuff. My switch to my bigelow cream for the remainder of the summer before finishing off my tub of diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to join the good folks of 3017. I think my first target will be a tub of Williams Tonsorial. Two pucks grated into a container. I have used this soap twice and the performance has been spectacular. Will post photos as I progress through this awesome soap.

View attachment 802762 View attachment 802762

Welcome! Vintage Williams is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I used vintage Williams when it wasn't vintage. Darned if I can recall how long a puck lasted me.

B&M Seville again. Nice smooth shave. Not getting as thick a lather as I got from Cella of AoS. However, the lather is very slick.

I am seeing that using the same soap every day seems to improve the soap's performance. Previously, I used one soap for a week and then went on to the next soap in my rotation.

strop

Now half as wise
Razorock Mentolipto is giving good results, but usage seems to have slowed a bit. May last longer than I initially thought.

Top Bottom