What's new

My Guess... 3017

Have officially switched from Haslinger, going to some lighter post-shave soaps for the warmer weather. First off, a few samples from Wickham's 1912 line. Once those are done, a nice puck of Tabac for the rest of the summer.

I'll reiterate that a great and easily available dish is the target dip bowl. They constantly change colors and patterns. Four bucks. Fits small pucks easily and larger ones can be grated. Walls open up slightly so you don't bang the brush on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on sabbatical last year when my lather bowl broke. I was on travel for work and the airlines did something to my suitcase to cause the bowl to break. It was a captains choice and I had grown fond of it but it seemed silly to drop out of the sabbatical for a soap dish. I started to learn how to face lather and I raided the kitchen cabinet for a small cereal/dip bowl. I pick one that didn't match any of the others and seems to work fine. My wife was surprised to find out that I had absconded with her thrift store find, but after explaining that I was refraining from spending any money on shaving and had in fact made an online commitment to such... I told her not to just buy me a dish. Six plus months later I got a new CC dish and a hand made one from a sister in law that does pottery for Christmas. Being somewhat paranoid I now travel with a small metal lather bowl and the nicer ones are used when I am at home. For those that are wondering - yes, my wife put her thrift store find back in the kitchen. So for 2017 my exception is a lather bowl.

That said, I think the Bruce bowl was something special... It has appeared in many photos in this thread and become somewhat famous. Heck, many of us were getting ready to line up and try to buy one that was similar.

Ruckin (making due with the abundance that I already have)

The 3017 thread passed the 19,000 posts milestone. I'm toasting all of you contributors with my morning cup of coffee. Cheers!

strop

Now half as wise
The Razorock Mentolipto is living up to my expectations! It has been a long time since I used a very soft soap, and I forgot how fast they seem to disappear. I've used 22 grams for 12 shaves, and there is a visible reduction in the amount of soap in the tub. Doubt this will see the end of July.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
After two shaves there's a noticeable decline in cream :001_rolle
I just scoop some out with my finger. Perhaps I'm scooping to much

IMG_4768.JPG

Hey @Toothpick. You should bar your doors and windows. After seeing the tracks in that tub of cream I pulled out my trusty American Boy Scouts manual 1969 edition. Under the chapter that illustrates various wild animal tracks it looks like an adult Rocky Mountain grizzly bear has been breaking into your home and stealing your shave cream.

@Porter Hayes 1912 is amazing stuff. A top performing lather in my books... Club Cola happens to be my favourite scent.

I just began a 3rd straight puck of Haslinger Coconut, then 2 cans of Club Cola are up and I can hardly friggin wait!

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Nuavia won't DIE! Now that it is on the last dregs, it's turned into a goopy mess that seems to never end. One more shave, but I'll probably be using up 3 shaves worth of soap.

Then on to Krokos.

Going to 3017 my puck of Stirling Electric Sheep... then reorder and do it all again... muahahaha :letterk1:

Actually, I need to 3017 all the samples I've picked up after that, and a tub of TOBS Sandalwood. And 2 tubes of Proraso. And a tub of Proraso Sandalwood. My wife isn't gonna let me order more until I clear out some of this junk.

Finally finished that sample puck yesterday. Jeez those Stirling soap samples are generous. I think it took over a month to finish it. Now working on another Stirling sample, this time it's Sharp Dressed Man.

Anybody else find that the lather gets different as you get closer to the bottom of the soap? I struggled to make a real great lather once the bottom of the mug started showing. Once the new puck was in, back to beautiful lathers.

Finally finished that sample puck yesterday. Jeez those Stirling soap samples are generous. I think it took over a month to finish it. Now working on another Stirling sample, this time it's Sharp Dressed Man.

Anybody else find that the lather gets different as you get closer to the bottom of the soap? I struggled to make a real great lather once the bottom of the mug started showing. Once the new puck was in, back to beautiful lathers.

Generally when you hit the bottom, you end up loading too much soap if it is goopy, or not enough if you only have soap around the edges of the container.

Generally when you hit the bottom, you end up loading too much soap if it is goopy, or not enough if you only have soap around the edges of the container.
I definitely found that my lather was lighter and foamier and required a lot more work before it was usable. Thinking when the bottom starts showing I may start using a damp brush to pick up soap and then gradually add water instead of starting with a soaking brush like I normally do.

A week or so into tiki bar soap spice islands and I can say if you load it like crazy you get some nice lather. Daily use has led me to conclude it's not my favorite scent. Not bad, just not exactly my style. Think it's the fruity (mango) scent, wears thin when you use it every day. Good news is the harder you load it the better the lather gets so I will continue to load it like I hate it (LILYHI) and enjoy its awesomeness

Top Bottom