What's new

My Guess... 3017

Several weeks ago I had encountered the extreme of 3017. I had finished everything! For the first time since 2006, I had no product in the house whatsoever. :eek:

A quick order was placed and I'm happy to say that I am now working my way through a puck of Tabac. All is now right in the world.

.... and we continue on.

Wait....what could possibly have been left in the cupboard before you ran out completely?

Congrats Bob! Big accomplishment!

I'm actually planning out my next soap/cream purchase now. I think I'm going to try a rotation (which is completely counter to this thread of course). I'm curious to see what it's like jumping from product to product as others do, as I've been a 3017'er for many years. Maybe I need a little of that variety. Of course I reserve the right to 3017 one of those to death.

For the products I think I'll go with a rotation of classics:

Proraso Green
Cella
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Haslinger
Speick
Tabac
AOS Sandalwood

For the summer, I'll probably stick with the Proraso, Cella, and MWF while I continue to work on my TOBS Eton College. In the fall I'll add the Speick (Speicktember) and Tabac (Tabactober). And in the winter, add Haslinger and AOS.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Am I crazy for doing two at once!? First shave with this combo in the book. I smell so freaking gooooood right now. This aftershave is really great.

IMG_4754.JPG

Back home for work today. Fifty more weeks or so before next vacation. After using some inexpensive but very good European cream on vacation (Nivea, Bonté, and Top Secret), I'm back to CF Lavender. I thought I loaded enough cream into a Semogue 2000, but I didn't have enough lather for a second pass. Going to stick with a smaller badger until this cream is gone.

A 3017 staple in my den has come to a bitter and sudden end. [emoji33]

Not for the faint at heart.

It fell into the partially filling sink when I was lathering. It slipped and hit the bottom of the sink, smashed the handle off instantly. Sad, but it was bound to happen eventually.

I'm not sure if I'll replace it with another ceramic or not. I will not be trying to fix this one, it's going in the trash. There were little pieces amongst the big ones, not worth trying.

proxy.php

Transferred the remaining Haslinger into to my wooden RR dish with the lid.
proxy.php

My shave was still amazing though.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Bummer, Bruce. If you recall years ago, I had something similar happen to my Benton Clay lather bowl. It still makes me sad to think about it.

Bummer, Bruce. If you recall years ago, I had something similar happen to my Benton Clay lather bowl. It still makes me sad to think about it.
Yeah, I remember that one too. It wasn't made by me, a family member or friend, so I'm not too heartbroken about it.

Life and shaves go on.

Bummer Bruce. Except for some Old Spice mugs...of which I have too many....I got away from breakable soap dishes. I started using the 4 inch diameter clear plastic container with black lid that Maggards carries. It's a heavy plastic and offers a large loading surface. For just a few dollars they can't be beat.

Today was first shave with Haslinger in 7 months. I sure missed it. Fantastic!

The bottom of my bowl is showing more and more each day. Mike's Barbershop, your days are numbered! I'm guessing that I'll be done with you by the end of next week.

Finished a tube of bigalow last week and instead of grabbing a soap that receives raves in this thread I opened my tin of yeti snot. I did some searching and it appears that the consensus is that it does give you that face freeze but that the lather quality is sub par. With only five shaves so far I would tend to agree. I think I am going to stick with the soap for a bit longer because my lather is getting better. with each shave. The lather seems to quickly fade to nothing and the first pass is lacking slickness. But the second (and final) pass is getting better with each shave so I am not willing to give up yet. My sink that I use to shave is a long way from the water heater so my shaves are mostly done with cold water. This soap + cold water makes a frosty face.

I am considering this soap a challenge soap. I want to see if I can figure out how to get great shaves from it not just okay to good. I have several "top" soaps waiting their turn for 3017 (C&S, DRH, Fine, Haslinger, MdC, Volobra, etc). I look forward to trying one of these soaps in the fall.

Code:
Start        Finish           Soap
2014.05.31 - 2014.07.09 (40)  Edwin Jagger Sandlewood Shaving Cream (100ml)
2014.07.10 - 2014.09.03 (56)  RazoRock XXX (125ml)
2014.09.04 - 2014.11.13 (71)  Proraso Shaving Cream Soap Menthol and Eucalyptus (150g)
2014.11.14 - 2015.01.31 (79)  RazoRock Classic (150ml)
2015.02.01 - 2015.05.23 (112) Martin De Candre Savon à raser Fougère (200g)
2015.05.24 - 2015.06.03 (11)  New York Shaving Company Elizabeth Street (65g)
2015.06.04 - 2015.09.13 (102) Shaving Yeti Colombian Necktie (125ml)
2015.09.14 - 2015.12.01 (79)  Martin De Candre Savon à raser  Le Domino (60g)
2015.12.02 - 2017.02.02 (428) D.R. Harris Marlborough (100g)
2017.02.03 - 2017.04.13 (69)  Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Tube, Sandalwood, (75ml)
2017.04.14 - 2017.05.09 (26)  Musgo Real Lavender (3.4 oz)
2017.05.10 - 2017.06.22 (44)  Bigalow Shave cream (5.2 oz)
2017.06.23 - xxxx.xx.xx (5)   Shaving Yeti Yeti Snot (125ml)

Ruckin

Top Bottom