What's new

My Guess... 3017

I just got the PannaCrema Nuavia pass around box. Tried the Blu tonight and wow!

I didn't do so well with Blu. Though I've not given up on it entirely. I am going to let it air out for a month or two or three then give it another go. I read the passaround thread. I'm starting to wonder whats wrong with me. It seems like everyone that tries it once decides its the greatest soap ever. I must be living wrong or something.

Now the Wilkie Sword shave stick hasn't give up on me or me on it. We've traveled 2400 miles so far and by the time this trip is over we will have logged about 4500 miles and about 40-45 shaves. Darn good soap but its disappearing quickly. I don't believe it will last to September.

It seems like everyone that tries it once decides its the greatest soap ever. I must be living wrong or something.
That description sounds a lot like MdC to me.

Too bad they don't make it in an unscented version, your issue sounded like it might have been a fragrance reaction.

Alright, I'm back from vacation and have started on my next 3017 victim....Green Mountain Soap Lavender Grapefruit. I had a good first shave with it this morning, but will reserve comment until I've used it for at least a week.
Happy shaves everyone....

Latha is just getting killed. I tried to take it easy today by loading up with a little Duke 2. I had an okay lather, enough for two passes, but it was kind of thin and watery even though I got rid of most of the water.

Weight after the shave = 230 grams, which is 6g fewer than yesterday.

Granted, I think it's been drying out and there might have been a lot of water left in the soap yesterday. But still...I'm down 16 grams over four shaves, and even if I give it credit for two extra lathers yesterday, that's still 2.7g per shave.

I won't be able to do a full review or draw conclusions based on this sample because it's going to be gone, but so far I'm underwhelmed. I've gotten some great test lathers out of this soap, but I have yet to have a great lather during a shave, and I did give it a few tries a couple months ago.

I do think that when the lather is dialed in, it's a good soap, but it seems to be very picky about hydration levels and water in the brush so far. For me, ease of lather is probably my #1 requirement in a soap, followed by shave quality and then scent preference. I'm giving it average marks so far, which means it will likely not be replaced.

Latha is just getting killed. I tried to take it easy today by loading up with a little Duke 2. I had an okay lather, enough for two passes, but it was kind of thin and watery even though I got rid of most of the water.

Weight after the shave = 230 grams, which is 6g fewer than yesterday.

Granted, I think it's been drying out and there might have been a lot of water left in the soap yesterday. But still...I'm down 16 grams over four shaves, and even if I give it credit for two extra lathers yesterday, that's still 2.7g per shave.

I won't be able to do a full review or draw conclusions based on this sample because it's going to be gone, but so far I'm underwhelmed. I've gotten some great test lathers out of this soap, but I have yet to have a great lather during a shave, and I did give it a few tries a couple months ago.

I do think that when the lather is dialed in, it's a good soap, but it seems to be very picky about hydration levels and water in the brush so far. For me, ease of lather is probably my #1 requirement in a soap, followed by shave quality and then scent preference. I'm giving it average marks so far, which means it will likely not be replaced.

Last year I 3017 a container of B&M Fougere, the veg version. It was a nice soap, about on par with my experience with Mikes. As I recall, like Mikes it also benefited from a couple teaspoons of water before the shave. I have always struggled with samples. About all they do for me is tell me if I like the scent or not. I rarely seem to get the same performance from a small sample that I do from a full size puck. This was especially true for me with both Mikes and B&M's samples.

So those using harder soaps/pucks like haslinger, mikes, volobra, mwf, aos, etc. are you letting water soak in top to soften it up before you load? Or do you go right to a hard puck?

I usually let all my soaps soak, but that's just me. I "Marco method" everything, and it works for me, but as the adage goes "YMMV". Just lather up and enjoy :)

Last year I 3017 a container of B&M Fougere, the veg version. It was a nice soap, about on par with my experience with Mikes. As I recall, like Mikes it also benefited from a couple teaspoons of water before the shave. I have always struggled with samples. About all they do for me is tell me if I like the scent or not. I rarely seem to get the same performance from a small sample that I do from a full size puck. This was especially true for me with both Mikes and B&M's samples.

I can see that. I actually got a PIF here with Latha and Mikes, good sizes of each. They have both bit hit or miss in terms of lathers. I like the scents but don't think I would buy either of them.

I do typically bloom the soaps for a bit. Usually doesn't make much difference but it doesn't hurt.

My favorite performers so far (AOS, Haslinger, MdC, Tabac, Palmolive) haven't really required any fussing to get good lathers, so those are the ones I will replace. I seem to have trouble with softer soaps (Cella, RazoRock, B&M, Mikes) with the exception of Proraso. And I've had good luck with creams (Body Shop, TOBS, AOS, Proraso).

Yes it was mostly full. I did some test lathers and mixed in a few shaves here and there. Started it a couple months ago and decided to move to something else. Averaging ~3g per shave though it's ripping right through the soap!

I had the same thing with Saint Charles Shave soap. I went through a full puck in 3 weeks.

I have no need to do so, but just ordered a couple Nancy Boy samples. High praise from Bruce, the scents sound like they would be great, very fair sample pricing too.

Last edited:
Great move. Nancy Boy is my all time favorite cream. Impeccable ingredients, scents, performance and post shave. Nice price too. Been around since 2005 but not mentioned much anymore. Last used in Sept. Just ordered the 3 tub limit in all scents. I could see myself 3017ing Haslinger and NB in 2016. Great soap/cream combo. In fact that's what I'm preparing to do. A nice combo.

...I should clarify the creams are not mentioned much because they don't advertise and are not sold through other vendors. Pretty cool shop too if ever SF way.

Yes it was mostly full. I did some test lathers and mixed in a few shaves here and there. Started it a couple months ago and decided to move to something else. Averaging ~3g per shave though it's ripping right through the soap!

I had the same thing with Saint Charles Shave soap. I went through a full puck in 3 weeks.

I wonder if the B&M Unscented I have will got that quickly when I get around to it.

Great move. Nancy Boy is my all time favorite cream. Impeccable ingredients, scents, performance and post shave. Nice price too. Been around since 2005 but not mentioned much anymore. Last used in Sept. Just ordered the 3 tub limit in all scents. I could see myself 3017ing Haslinger and NB in 2016. Great soap/cream combo. In fact that's what I'm preparing to do. A nice combo.
That would be 12 months of amazing shaves.

Top Bottom