What's new

My Guess... 3017

Yes, will 3017 a pot after the I Coloniali and incorporate some NB for days I need a bit more protection or a cream. Two is close and maybe as we get closer I'll commit fully to Haslinger2016 and give the NB to my wife and daughters.

I love the sound of that...Haslinger2016

Bruce turned me on to Haslinger so he clearly has good judgement. Thus I started reading reviews on Nancy Boy and it seems to be universally loved. Then I go to Nancy Boys website and read about the ingredients. Solid. Brush or brushless? Possibly another good travel option? Whats this I find? Very competitively priced. 15% discount on every order. $5.00 flat rate shipping. How did this cream fly under my radar for so long!?

My order will be delivered and waiting for me when I finally get done with this never-ending trek across the southern US and get home.

During my 2016 year of Haslinger I plan on granting myself a few exceptions when I can get a temporary pass from Haslinger. One of those exceptions is business travel. In my profession I often have to make a quick overnight trip at the drop of a hat. So I keep an overnight bag ready to go in my office. It includes my travel brush and a tube of Proraso Blue cream. So business travel is exception number 1. I have also considered a second exception. Every Saturday morning I shave with my grandfathers straight. It went to France with him in WWI, and he gave it to me the night before I shipped out. He passed away 2 days later. He lived to be 101 and shaved with it until he was well into his 90's. I carried that damn razor a lot of miserable miles and its been my Saturday morning shave for the better part of a lifetime. Haslinger makes a great straight shave lather, but a nice slick cream is sure a treat once in a while. If Nancy Boy is one of the better creams out there I might have to make 2016 year of Haslinger exception number 2; Saturday morning straight shave with the cream of my choosing.

Of course...the more exceptions the less notable a full year of using one soap becomes, so this will require some serious thought (or not so serious). Also, it does break from the 3017 philosophy, another reason to give this some thought. I have to say, I like 3017'ing soaps, but some of them are not the greatest for the old Saturday morning straight shave. Cella for example. A good classic soap to be sure. But when you don't use a straight every day, it can make for a challenging Saturday morning.

I will ponder this as I sit in yet another airport tomorrow killing time.....and I would love to read some comments / opinions from the 3017 crowd. Stay thirsty my friends! (sorry...I'm getting punchy from all the traveling past few weeks).

Last edited:
Nice post and yes, that southern humidity must be getting to you! I'm feeling it up in Vermont right now. Ugh. You know the year of Haslinger could incorporate that one Saturday morning break with a Nancy Boy type cream (you are going to love it) back around 2006-2007/8 it was the rage but then again this is cyclical and they don't advertise at all. Business travel is exempt. Hell my overnight work bag has a Trumpers coconut tube in it...still a great cream in many ways.

If it were me, I'd shoot for 80% or more. If you don't give into those little indulgences here and there you might just fall off the wagon completely.

I never worry about what I'm currently 3017ing when I travel. I have a travel kit packed and that's what I use when traveling.

NB Signature was my gateway drug to the DE world. A gift from the Mrs. along with an R89, the NB cooling gel aftershave and 50 feathers. I was a bit clueless at first given the name, but whatever, it smelled awesome. At that time I shaved once or twice a week because of the massive irritation it would cause. The Mrs. doesn't like the scruff all the time. She researched and for whatever reason picked out some awesome software and hardware to get me going. It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of it and I started out using it brushless because I didn't own a brush. Worked fine. Bought some cheap vulfix off of amazon and moved to brush. Worked even better. By the end of the tub I was hooked -- and I also had acquired 3 or 4 more brushes and razors.

All that to say, it's still the best cream I've ever used and one of my favorite scents ever.

Also, their bath bars are also incredible.

No worries about the occasional "cheat", snowman. The goal is to dedicate yourself to going through products, it isn't all or nothing like the purchase sabbatical. :)

Welcome aboard. My HTGAM is going really fast, like double or triple the Palmolive. Getting very good shaves though and the Beach scent is good!

Had the best shave yet with the Proraso Green this morning. I'm getting to the very narrow part of the tub now, hoping I will be able to kill it off in the next week and a half or so.

Friday:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439987396.123723.jpg

Today:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439987411.321793.jpg

NB Signature...
All that to say, it's still the best cream I've ever used and one of my favorite scents ever.

Also, their bath bars are also incredible.

They have an eclub too, gives you a discount at checkout, no code needed, no spam emails.

Every month they usually have a free item with a certain dollar amount. One of my orders included a full sized Signature bath bar....man, that was nice.

They have an eclub too, gives you a discount at checkout, no code needed, no spam emails.

Every month they usually have a free item with a certain dollar amount. One of my orders included a full sized Signature bath bar....man, that was nice.

Yeah, I joined the eclub, they make it so easy. The low prices, discount, and flat rate shipping make it very compelling. I have a travel size of all 3 creams coming. Will give them a test and make sure of no allergic reactions. The ingredients of the creams is what really caught my eye. All natural and not a ton of EO's / FO's added. I'm looking forward to trying these. Thanks for the recommendation Bruce.

I appreciate the comments about the occasional "pass" from 3017ing a product. If all goes well, I may not have a single bad shave in 2016. :thumbup1:

I appreciate the comments about the occasional "pass" from 3017ing a product. If all goes well, I may not have a single bad shave in 2016. :thumbup1:

I wouldn't worry about the breaks from a Year of Haslinger in 2016; I will use shave sticks when I travel. They're more compact and easier to pack than the pucks of Haslinger.

I joined the eclub, they make it so easy. The low prices, discount, and flat rate shipping make it very compelling. I have a travel size of all 3 creams coming. Will give them a test and make sure of no allergic reactions. The ingredients of the creams is what really caught my eye. All natural and not a ton of EO's / FO's added. I'm looking forward to trying these. Thanks for the recommendation Bruce.

I've been to their store and it is amazing. I will stop in next weekend; I'll see if I can snap a couple of pics.

I wouldn't worry about the breaks from a Year of Haslinger in 2016; I will use shave sticks when I travel. They're more compact and easier to pack than the pucks of Haslinger.

I've been to their store and it is amazing. I will stop in next weekend; I'll see if I can snap a couple of pics.

That would be interesting to see.

I was going to say, before the more tenured 3017'ers chimed in, that the spirit of the 3017 would not be violated. Many 3017'ers have had the occasional dalliance.

Does the Nancy Boy cream lather up well? I read many good things but some say it's more of a brushless cream.

I was going to say, before the more tenured 3017'ers chimed in, that the spirit of the 3017 would not be violated. Many 3017'ers have had the occasional dalliance.

Does the Nancy Boy cream lather up well? I read many good things but some say it's more of a brushless cream.
I only used it with a bowl and brush, no issues.

All this talk about it, makes me want to order some.

So those using harder soaps/pucks like haslinger, mikes, volobra, mwf, aos, etc. are you letting water soak in top to soften it up before you load? Or do you go right to a hard puck?

I add about a tablespoon of water to the puck before starting my shower (and also soak the brush in warm water).

All this talk of shaving cream made me realize that I had a sample of AOS cream in my travel pack (along with their balm and pre-shave).

And following the shave: i realize that I don't really like pre-shave oil and the cream wasn't anywhere near as nice as either Arko or La Toja (my two travel soaps).
The cream, when using a brush, didn't seem to lather up at all. I could have applied it with my fingers with the same results.

Well... I tried. Maybe I'll try another shaving cream sometime in the future.

I haven't posted in this thread, but I've read every post in it. I happen to be 3017'ing some Nancy Boy Replenishing cream in a travel tub, so I thought I'd weigh in with some pics for you guys. I also happen to live two blocks from the store, so if mikeschu can't make it in, I'll drop by and take a few pics there. I'd also recommend trying their other products. The only thing I haven't liked is the a/s gel, which doesn't seem to absorb that well into my skin.

I'm still dialing in the cream, but I can say it's very nourishing to the skin. My tub's scent is mostly cucumber with a hint of lemon. It's almost scentless, so I'd keep that in mind if interested. I liked the Signature scent better overall, but thought the Replenishing scent might be better in the summer. The nice thing about their scents is that they seem to carry through into their other ranges of products. Without further ado, here are a few pics for you to get a sense of the travel tub.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440043500.585326.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440043517.857908.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440043527.230550.jpg

Thanks Watson!

This mornings breakfast meeting was canceled and I found myself with too much time on my hands. You know what they say about idle hands...I could respond to urgent emails or...not....so I put myself to work and pressed the remainder of the Wilkinson Sword stick into an Ikea Grundthal container I have in my Dopp kit for carrying blades. I forgot to put blades in it before I left so I thought it would make a good soap container. Yes, I have been using the same blade this whole trip. Its a GSB and is holding up well. I could grab another somewhere but this has become a test of wills between me and the GSB. Did I say pressed the stick into a container? Pressed is not the correct word, more like cut, busted, soaked, then using superhuman like strength hammered the stick into a container. The little Wilko is a bit on the hard side.

It took on a lot of water during this process and I fear I may significantly shortened its life. I loaded the brush this morning into my Ubersoft II hybrid knot and ended up with enough lather for...well...a lot of shaves. I'll leave the dish open tonight and hopefully it'll dry a bit.

Top Bottom